Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

n20, HPE "S", and rebuilding

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default n20, HPE "S", and rebuilding

My friend got a used engine that had nitrous run through it (mileage is 38k) and it has an HPE "S" cam at 608/612 lift 238/242 duration on 114. I'm helping him Partially rebuild it.

1) Is this a streetable cam? How big/strong/good is it?

2) Instead of the stock 28.8lbs injectors he will HAVE to go with 42.5lbs injectors right?

3) On an HPE "S" and 42.5lbs he will HAVE to get an In Tank fuel pump right?

4) What all damage does regular nitrous use cause? valves? rings?

5) With the HPE "S" he has dual springs I believe (on stock heads), does he need an upgraded timing chain like double roller?

6) If he put this cam into his Formula which has 130k miles would that be safe? Whats the worst that could happen? spun bearing?

7) When rebuilding is it a REQUIREMENT to hone the walls and use new rings? We were thinking of just leaving the pistons in the cylinders and only changing the bearings.

THANKS ALOT!
Old 12-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cam: WILL need tuning, not considered a DD grind.

Injectors: Depending on if he will use n2o, its considered smart to move up. running a calculator/math is a good thing to do.

Damage: Can do anything.....

Springs: If unknown on the milage, its considered smart to replace with same spring to be sure, you should be fine with the chain.

Milage: Block, or Car!?

Rebuild: If your going to do it once, do it right the 1st time. The parts dont cost much. I re did my 383, w/ rings, and all bearings, it was like 200 + fluids such as brake clean, loctite, and oil. I would hone the cyl too.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:09 AM
Launching!

mileage = engine (this engine had 38k miles and dont know how long n20 or the cam has been in, but can find out)
His engine that is IN his Formula NOW has 130k miles (never sprayed, but yes raced)
Question #6 ^^^^ still remains.

Yes, I want him to go ahead and redo rings

He wont be doing n20 I dont think so you're saying it would be safe to run stock 28.8lbs injectors and no in tank fuel pump when HPE "S" cam and dual springs are the ONLY upgrades / modifications ? plus tuning Of Course!

Youre saying that he shouldnt reuse the dual springs?

What rings did you use in yours? What would you recommend? I used Clevite 77 Trimetals in my personal rebuild on my camaro and love em.

Thanks alot, great info!

Last edited by ezrollin; 12-07-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Launching!

if an engine has only 30k miles... is it really necessary to replace rings? I mean.. I've rebuilt 2 engines that had NO RIDGE in the wall Whatsoever and good compression
BUMP
Thanks
Old 12-09-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

on a n2o motor i would open it up and check every thing. rings ,bearings,pistons,rods everything. just never know how big of a shot was really on it. im sure you would hate to install this. start it up and it have hellacious blowby caused by rings that were butted from too much nitrous and poor tuning.