Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slp 1.85

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Slp 1.85

Has anybody got any hp#s on the SLP 1.85s? I seen a LOT of them for sale after just a few miles (2000-3000), but in a search, I didn't really see any #s on them to prove they're worth the time and effort. I can pick some up at a good price, and they're a direct bolt on, but I'd like to see some good feedback before I put out the money
Thanks
Old 12-07-2007, 07:30 AM
TECH Junkie

they bolt right in.....assuming you consider a spring swap "bolt in"

you'll see about 12-15rwhp gain from them....not bad if you plan to stick with straight bolt ons.

but if you ever plan a cam...even a small or mild one...most are not compatible with higher ratio rockers.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:38 AM

Why are most cams not compatable with higher ratio rockers? Is it just because it will create too much lift? I have an East Side cam, and they told me that I'd be ok to go with some higher lift rockers, but to keep it to the stock type.

Thanks
Ron
Old 12-07-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Why are most cams not compatable with higher ratio rockers? Is it just because it will create too much lift? I have an East Side cam, and they told me that I'd be ok to go with some higher lift rockers, but to keep it to the stock type.

Thanks
Ron
High/fast ramp rates...
Old 12-07-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by teke184
they bolt right in.....assuming you consider a spring swap "bolt in"

you'll see about 12-15rwhp gain from them....not bad if you plan to stick with straight bolt ons.

but if you ever plan a cam...even a small or mild one...most are not compatible with higher ratio rockers.

Thanks Teke;
It's my wife's DD, so I don't plan on swapping the cam, just doing ALL of the bolt ons. She wants to stay pretty much stock (won't even let me slap on a small N2O kit!) but loves it to be fast!

The SLP web site shows that a spring change is not needed on 97-99 cars (apparently because of the small stock cam) but if I need to, I have a basically new set of beehive springs I had put on a set of stock heads before I swapped on my aftermarket heads.

12+ hp would be more than worth effort if I can get them cheap.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I thought the 98-99s had the bigger cam and the 00-02 had the small cam
Old 12-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

01-02 cars dont need the springs,the 98-00 need new springs due to a higher lift cam in those years.I have them on my SS,add power to top end but felt like it took some power away from the low end.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black99CamaroSS
I thought the 98-99s had the bigger cam and the 00-02 had the small cam
These are going in a C5. The C5 had a larger cam in 2000 only, then went back down, the F-body went to a smaller cam in 2001.

You would think that extra lift would help throughout the power range, not just on the top end
Old 12-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BOTTLE ROCKET
These are going in a C5. The C5 had a larger cam in 2000 only, then went back down, the F-body went to a smaller cam in 2001.

You would think that extra lift would help throughout the power range, not just on the top end
Sorry didnt know they were for a vette,dont know specs on vette.Going to the higher ratio adds lift and a very small amount of duration,therefor moving the power curve up in the rpm a little like its a bigger cam.The higher ratio added mph to my e.t. but no real drop it times.The swap is very easy and does not take much time unless you have to change the springs.If I had to change the springs on my car I would not have done the mod.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by 01bad ss
Sorry didnt know they were for a vette,dont know specs on vette.Going to the higher ratio adds lift and a very small amount of duration,therefor moving the power curve up in the rpm a little like its a bigger cam.The higher ratio added mph to my e.t. but no real drop it times.The swap is very easy and does not take much time unless you have to change the springs.If I had to change the springs on my car I would not have done the mod.
I believe that it will change the duration at .050, but the overall duration will remain the same.