Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston slap? bent pushrods? Help Please...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston slap? bent pushrods? Help Please...

I think i went lean on #7 while guzzling down a 125 dry hit. took out the plug from # 7 and the ground strap had melted and touched the electrode, guess i was running too hot. The plug was as black as a diesel's tailpipe when i took it out and it seemed to look a little shiny also. my motor makes a kinda slight knocking or ticking sound when i first start it up and then it mostly goes away once its warmed up. it did this a long time ago about half year or so after i bought it, at around 30K, now it has 60K. i have heard that this could be piston slap from the piston being to loose in the cylinder. i also heard that the eailier LS1s were prone to this problem, which would be me i'm guessing ('98 T/A). Could the N20 have made this worse? anyone know anything about this??? here are some pics. the line up from left to right is #1,#3,#5,#7 and the big pic is #7. Thanks for any help guys!
Attached Thumbnails Piston slap? bent pushrods? Help Please...-img_0742.jpg   Piston slap? bent pushrods? Help Please...-img_0739.jpg  
Old 12-07-2007, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Bump Bump
Old 12-07-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you didn't cook a piston, you're the luckiest person on earth.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol, ya man. Its not looking to good. Its kinda weird though that you were just running a 12.9 with a 125 shot. Thats what my a4 run with just a full exhaust..
Old 12-07-2007, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Don't think i fried anything other than the plug, changed the plug and now the motor runs fine. The sound seems like it is actually coming from the passenger side rear of the engine, like #8 or somwhere around there. JustAFooL keep in mind that i'm running at over a mile high elevation and i picked over a full second from my best N/A time, not bad if you ask me. I ran my car N/A the same day i ran it on the bottle and it actually did a 14.7 at 97mph so thats really a second and a half and over 15mph faster, thinking the D.R.s are slowing me down though. My best N/A run in my sig was last year and on street 245s out back. Anyone else? do i have a ticking time bomb under my hood or should i be ok???
Old 12-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Default From My Experiance

I had a simular problem with my 88. Now I might be way off here, but its worth a look incause I am not. Check your flex plate. Turns out when i droped my tranny, i busted it around all the bolts the only thing keeping it in place was the way it broke, i took of the TQ and it palte droped before i unbolted it. I could be off her, but jsut crawl under there and take a good good look it will be hard to see. Maybe its only a $200 problem.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

could i take the dust cover off and look at it through there? gonna be changing oil tomorrow to see if there are any pieces or parts floating around so i can check the flexplate while i'm down there.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

You might get luck and dfind them there, they are usually around the bolt holes, but sometimes they spread down to the big cut out holes, look good, might have to turn it to or just start the car and listen, when i heard mine i thought it was a knock too, i was listening all over the car and had it passenge side, rear (engine) but there where the least about of crap is in my 88 so the sounds came from there, i dont remember how i found this out, but you mgith get luck enough to see it, take a small bar under there with you to push it around a big, if its dirty at all yo umight not see the cracks.... let us know what you find
Old 12-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

Default well...

what did youfind out, was i way off base, was there something else that was causeing the problem??