Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Megashifter in 1998 Z28 ??? INFO NEEDED! (please)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Megashifter in 1998 Z28 ??? INFO NEEDED! (please)

Alright, I had the Megashifter in my '79 Z... after I unloaded that project, and moved into the '98 Z, I've started missing the Megashifter. I ran a search on the board for info regarding fitting the Megashifter into the stock console... and that really isn't my concern. I can handle that part, no problem. The part that concerns me is the electrical part. I know it's been done, but the person that did it, and posted pictures on his thread, never explained the electrical part and what he had to do to make it work. Now I have access to someone that can tune the car, so if it's simply disabling a certain sensor or something, I'm sure that can be done. Wiring a neutral safety switch shouldn't be a problem either. Anyways, if anybody that's done this, or put in any aftermarket 4 speed shifter with the 4L60E, can share some insight... please do. I'd really appreciate some help or info. Once I get that information, I can get the project done... I'll take pictures, and post a walk through as well for others. Hope someone can help. Thanks guys.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:18 PM
Banned

Summit racing has a nice Hurst shifter you might like...

I think the part number is HUU-3838504
Old 12-10-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Use the two micro switches provided in the kit for the back up lights and the park neutral switch. It will all work fine after that. On mine I swapped to a six speed center console and ziptied the shiftboot under the metal ring that bam secures their rubber boot with. It looked pimp and worked great but the positioning has to be right so you will have the full range of motion wo screwing up your console. or the shiftboot.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RearMountKing
Summit racing has a nice Hurst shifter you might like...

I think the part number is HUU-3838504
I still prefer the Megashifter... fell in love with the damn thing after I had one in my '79. Thanks for the idea though.

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Use the two micro switches provided in the kit for the back up lights and the park neutral switch. It will all work fine after that. On mine I swapped to a six speed center console and ziptied the shiftboot under the metal ring that bam secures their rubber boot with. It looked pimp and worked great but the positioning has to be right so you will have the full range of motion wo screwing up your console. or the shiftboot.
So it'll work just fine with the 4L60E if I hook up the neutral safety switch and reverse lights? I'm not going to throw off the computer if I manually downshift or anything? I'd just hate to get into this and find out I've basically disabled using my 1, 2, or 3 gears manually and end up having to leave it in D all the time. Keep me posted. Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Megashifter in 1998 Z28 ??? INFO NEEDED! (please)