Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Gremlin ,Ls1 CamShaft Postion sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Gremlin ,Ls1 CamShaft Postion sensor

Forgive me for being illliterate when it comes to electrical ,i really should maybe take a class on it ,i do know how to read a volt meter lol but here is my question ,What type of connector is this called ? & also,How do i go about fixing this the right way ?As you can see there is only about an 1/8th of an inch of wire thats coming out of the connector ,so i cant strip it back anymore,the other side of the wire i can strip back 10 inches,Should i cut the 3 wires & hook in another connector?there is nothing wrong with the connector other than the wire being pinched ,This has my vette down right now , it is the camshaftpostion sensor wire ,i would appreciate any feed back on this guys so i can get my car up & running ,Like i said the connector is reusable,any ideas ?It may be cheaper to buy a new one ,autozone ?
Old 12-08-2007, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

do an online search for Metri-Pack. you get the new connectors and crimp the wires in. you can get 3pin, 4pin, 5pin, etc....
Old 12-08-2007, 08:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

or you can also buy the actual conector from a dealership and just solder it in. DO NOT use crimp connectors on these wires. they will cause all kinds of nasty electrical issues.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should be able to get the connector with the pigtails and install them. I like to solder electrical connections but at work(GM dealer) we use splices and then heat them up and tape them for a water tight seal. I have never had any problems, nor has the guys who have been doing this for god knows how long.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

which is why I will never let a dealership touch my car. Have been working on vehicles for 16 years for the military and have seen more electrical issues from crimp connectors then i can couint.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pigtail connector is GM part# 88986451 ($38), comes w/ 3 heat shrink butt connectors, assembled weather pack connector w/ about 6" of wire... I've used these connector kits on alot of things with no problems at all.

-Mike
Old 12-08-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

why pay that much when you can get these metri-pack connectors for cheap:
http://www.black-sheep.us/index.php?cPath=86
Old 12-08-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sroach20
The plug-n-play aspect I guess. You need special tools to remove the terminals or you'll usually do some damage to the connector and you need a special crimping tool also. That is expensive for the pig-tail kit though.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

these metri pack connectors are the same as the oems. you only need the one and they plug into the original. i used them on a silverado i had, they fit perfectly.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sroach20
That's just for the connector body though correct, no terminals, wires etc???? 9 times out of 10 it's the little terminals inside of the connector body that get worn out & cause a failure... Yeah it's a more, but it's comes assembled w/ connectors vs. having to remove/repair then install back into the connector body.. I'm lazy though & impatient... Also sometimes if your nice to your GM parts guy or tell them u work for as shop, they will give you a wholesale price ($26), i do anyways.

-Mike
Old 12-09-2007, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MM98
That's just for the connector body though correct, no terminals, wires etc???? 9 times out of 10 it's the little terminals inside of the connector body that get worn out & cause a failure... Yeah it's a more, but it's comes assembled w/ connectors vs. having to remove/repair then install back into the connector body.. I'm lazy though & impatient... Also sometimes if your nice to your GM parts guy or tell them u work for as shop, they will give you a wholesale price ($26), i do anyways.

-Mike
I am with you, when it comes to which is easier to install ,i will allways go the easier route & pay a bit more money than having to take it apart,knowing me,i would get the ones u have to take apart & end up screwing them up ,then i would end up buying the connector with the wires allready attached to the connector ,i appreciate it guys, i will go the 26 wholesale price,ya the guys here @ 1 of the local dealers allready thinks i work for an performance shop my buddy owns, i just tell them the parts are for him & get the parts wholesale
Old 12-10-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got one at a junk yard for 1 dollor, and cut it my self,so i got all the extra wire i needed You can get it off any new style GM car or truck
Old 12-10-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

best bet would be a new pigtail from a dealer and solder/heat shrink tube them.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

I feel like a Dumbass for spending the 38.00 on the connector,it did have a pigtail with it along with the heatshrink,i was able to solder it back with no issues ,the car quit throwing the codes & its really the 1st time i have been able to drive the car with the blower on it since it has been down from a bad head gasket ,along with arp headbolts ,i changed out to headstuds & Mls gaskets,i did find out my Boost a pump is not enough & i will be needing an high flow aftermarket pump,how much of a pain in the **** are they to install ?I was gonna order a lingenfelter pump today ,this pump puts out roughly 600rwhp,with a bap some cars have seen as high as 700 rwhp.Oya i tried to get the discount for the connector ,the guy @ the dealer told me ,my buddy would have to call this in to confirm it,i could have saved 10.00,My partner owns a Speedshop here in mobile but the guy is very hard to get ahold of ,o well not a biggy ,anyone put in an aftermarket Lpe/racetronix pump ?Whats the hardest part of the install ? It Pulls like a raped ape ,But i gotta put this pump in or i will have some very serious issues if i lean it out
Old 12-12-2007, 01:11 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by vette#3
I feel like a Dumbass for spending the 38.00 on the connector...
You could have bought one of our harnesses and cut the connector off for much less.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 12-12-2007, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Racetronix
You could have bought one of our harnesses and cut the connector off for much less.
O well little to late to be saying that ,Plus I drove less than 10 min from my house & picked it up ,the car was running 10 min later ,Not like theres a racetronix dealer in my Backyard or state for that matter
Old 12-12-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Try Current Performance, they have it for $8.50
http://www.currentperformance.com/Co...s/LS1_LS6.html
Old 12-12-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

make sure you dont get any water on it

Old 12-14-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why could you not just put a butt connector and electrical tape on it and be done with it? I had to do this on the mass airflow sensor wires when i moved it to the inlet side of the supercharger due to surging. Just wondering what kind of problems may occur if any. The check engine light does come on and it is showing mass air flow sensor voltage high.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02' hawk
Why could you not just put a butt connector and electrical tape on it and be done with it? I had to do this on the mass airflow sensor wires when i moved it to the inlet side of the supercharger due to surging. Just wondering what kind of problems may occur if any. The check engine light does come on and it is showing mass air flow sensor voltage high.

Thats because the but connector has added to much resistance in that wire and its throwing off the sensor/computer perameters