Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96mm Typhoon

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 96mm Typhoon

I've been looking for someone to post something about it but haven't seen to many people that have it... I was wondering how much it cost and is the 96mm throttle body out yet.... last thing i heard was that the throttle body wasn't out yet... but then i seen someone selling the intake... so i'm kinda confused on the whole thing.... I know this question has been asked a billion times, but i wanted to hear from people with some first hand experience with either the 90/90 set up or the 96/96..... Who has the better intake? When i mean better, don't forget how much the fast cost... If the typhoon is down 2-5 horses but is a couple hundred dollars cheaper, that would be better in my mind.....
Old 12-08-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#1 The Typhoon intake is crap and I wouldn't buy it no matter what size TB it had.
#2 A 90mm TB will flow over 1k CFM which is enough to feed over 600 RWHP N/A. If your around that number your running a single plane intake anyway.

Re'
Old 12-08-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Have you actually seen the intake on someones car, or better yet had one on yours?

I did a lot of research and read about 1000 posts on the Typhoon 85mm unit. I searched every f-body site I could find and what I found was that people that actually got it installed loved it, and those that never actually used it would always jump up and say it is junk. So I came away without real numbers, but for $375 how can you go wrong. If it doesnt work I will just stick it on a shelf. If it does I will get my money back from my LS6.

You are right about that 96mm though, unless you are going for a 1000hp motor there is really no reason for an intake that big. The 90 or even the 85 should be enough for up to probably 600hp.

I am going to buy an 85mm Typhoon just for testing. It is cheap enough that if it doesnt work I will just set it aside and stick the LS6 back on there. But my plan is to dyno the car with the LS6 intake, then pull the car outside and install the 85mm, then dyno it again to get a real number. They claim 17hp over the LS6, so we will see.

Good luck with your research. Hopefully someone with real experiance can give you some real numbers and opinions.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Old 12-08-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think the 96MM throttle body is out yet. The last time I talked to Byunspeed, I was told that it probably wouldn't be out this year. They had moved the release date back twice already. If you go with the 96/90 combo, be prepared to build a throttle cable bracket. I spent a few hours building mine but I also had to have a throttle valve cable for the tranny.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
I don't think the 96MM throttle body is out yet. The last time I talked to Byunspeed, I was told that it probably wouldn't be out this year. They had moved the release date back twice already. If you go with the 96/90 combo, be prepared to build a throttle cable bracket. I spent a few hours building mine but I also had to have a throttle valve cable for the tranny.

do you actually like the manifold? to be honest i do plan on being well into the 600's by summer.... I'm going with a forged 346, prc 2.5 5.3's milled .030 and a f14, the heads have been reworked by someone else besides tsp to hopefully get just a little more out of them.... but on top of it all i'm going with a 200 shot of nitrous... so i'm hoping for around 450 on motor and then in the 600 range on the bottle.... I just don't see myself spending all that money on a fast when that street warrior should be coming out pretty soon, and i want to try something different... i know different isn't always good, but its not everyday you see a completely polished manifold under the hood.... does the 90mm throttle body bolt straight up to it?
Old 12-08-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For what engine I have, I am probably giving up some bottom end with it, but I plan on building a better one next year, so it should be just right for it. The 90MM throttle body does bolt straight to the intake.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
For what engine I have, I am probably giving up some bottom end with it, but I plan on building a better one next year, so it should be just right for it. The 90MM throttle body does bolt straight to the intake.
thanks for the help i might take that route instead of a fast just still confused...
Old 12-08-2007, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

I have a 96mm Polished Typhoon intake for sale, PM me for more info. Its Brand NEW in the Box. It sucked b/c i blew my motor before i ever got around to installing it...
Old 12-09-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

pm sent.....
Old 12-10-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am going to buy an 85mm Typhoon just for testing. It is cheap enough that if it doesnt work I will just set it aside and stick the LS6 back on there. But my plan is to dyno the car with the LS6 intake, then pull the car outside and install the 85mm, then dyno it again to get a real number. They claim 17hp over the LS6, so we will see.
That's an expensive test. I can't afford to try things hoping they work. A FAST setup makes about 17-20 hp over a LS6 setup. I would be supprised if it was actually that good. As a rule, you usually get what you pay for. The one person I know that had on a H/C vette ended up removing it because it made no SOTP difference over a LS6 manifold.

Good luck. If you do back to back dyno pulls I'd really like to see the info.

Re'
Old 12-10-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

It looks cool too. So if it does at least as good as the LS6, I will keep it and recoup my loses by selling the LS6 intake. I have also seen similar set ups to mine, that shows 17rwhp over the LS6 intake on a real dyno. But I dont ever trust it unless I see it with my own eyes. Either way, SOTP is not a dyno. And for less than half the price of a Fast I will give it a try.