Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

sts setup?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 01:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sts setup?

i know i should search but i just want some good answers for my question?

ok ive been looking at everything superchargers, cams/heads, stroker, but i really like the sts turbo kit. and now i need some info about these, i want to make aroud 430hp-485hp, and hopefully jus run on stock internals.
what else would i need to make this setup work?
my car is a daily driver so would this be good for dd?
is it a reliable setup?
any info would be good?
Old 12-09-2007, 02:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes you really should search, there are about 3000 threads similar to this. Search is your friend here.

You'll need an FMIC and a good tune. Give Billy or one of the other guys at TRT a call or go to their website and they'll set you up real nice. TRTturbo.com.

You'll want to be careful not to run too much boost on a stock short block.

It'll be a fun dd, reliability depends on how well you prepare the car. Just know when you get into FI there is a lot of money that has to be spent to get the kits, that comes up as you are doing it, and even more afterwards unless you are able to do it all at once.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:37 AM
Launching!

searching is sometimes a pain.....
but thanks for the info
Old 12-09-2007, 04:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A FMIC is a want, not a need. It will lower your IATs and let you run more boost. But more boost will also put your stock internals in more danger as you increase hp. You will also want gauges, a fuel pump (most go with a Walbro 255 lph) and injectors. Also a good time to upgrade the wires and plugs (you'll want to go one range colder). A tune is a must, not a want. You can drive the car without it, but don't go into boost. AFA the injectors, the PCM must be updated immediately after their installation.
As you search for STS, you will find lots of STS-haters. Most are uninformed posts, but a few have valid points. All FI setups have shortcomings, and the STS system is no exception.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:39 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LS1>Imports
i know i should search but i just want some good answers for my question?

ok ive been looking at everything superchargers, cams/heads, stroker, but i really like the sts turbo kit. and now i need some info about these, i want to make aroud 430hp-485hp, and hopefully jus run on stock internals.
what else would i need to make this setup work?
my car is a daily driver so would this be good for dd?
is it a reliable setup?
any info would be good?
Check out what we did and went through on this Camaro that we installed an STS Turbo on. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=32 Bob
Old 12-09-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My build started off just like yours. This system works well for a dd because the car will run like stock until you get in boost. The only issue I had with daily driving it was rain. But I got one of the earliest kits, and didn't have the filter sheild that apparently comes with the kit now. (Not to mention I live in the tropics).

As someone mentioned earlier, you'll start with the kit, but then you'll need a new clutch, a new driveshaft, then you'll want the car to hook so you'll get some suspension stuff....and so the story goes. Just be prepared, and figure out what your ultimate goals are for the car. Buy things according to your ultimate goal so you can avoid doing things 2 and 3 times.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

get with billy at TRT(texas rear turbo) they have complete kits for the sts including the front mount intercooler. they have different level kits to meet your price and power needs.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

searching is sometimes a pain.....
but thanks for the info
Honestly, you don't even have to search. There's no less than 4 threads about STS on the front page every day.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

IMO, it's kinda pointless to have an FI kit w/o an FMIC. You could run a set of Procharger 4.5" Intercoolers for a very stealthy look or a Methanol/Water Injection kit set to start spraying at a designated boost level.

+1 for TRT
Old 12-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Banned

With any TURBO kit a intercooler or meth is almost a must...

I was running 150+ degree IAT's on stock 5.5 psi... The computer was pulling so much timing it was pointless to even have the kit... Put on TRT's intercooler kit... They dropped to about 10-15* above ambient!!!!!
Old 12-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Launching!

can you have longtubes with this kit or is that a bad thing?
Old 12-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Banned

If you already have them... Just wrap them, and keep em... by the looks of your sig, I would keep them.... and just wrap the exhaust....
Old 12-09-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...122&highlight=

Take a look at Zombies dilema he went through I would advise selling the Longtubes, reuse your stock manifolds and using the money towards something more usefull FMIC, Meth kit, injectors, etc

Rear Mount King could you snap some pics under the front bumper showing how low the cold side piping hangs at the connection to the FMIC? Maybe some pics showing the entire underside and how you have yours setup?
Old 12-09-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

When it comes to exhaust manifolds and headers I don't know if you can think of them in the traditional sense of flow. When you have a turbo sitting after them they now hold many times the normal pressure and the air is being forced through them in the same way that boost forces it's way into the intake. More flow mean more power, but how much more or where the limit is on a manifold exhaust setup I have no idea.

taken from one of Zombies posts

Thats why Truck manifold kits have seen excess of 1200RWHP without the manifolds being a limit
Old 12-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Launching!

does wrapping the exhaust keep it hotter, from zombies post heat is good, but is that what the exhaust wrap does
Old 12-09-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone ever try relocating the air filter? I know a lot of guys remove the rear bumpers which would leave plenty of space for an air filter setup.

I really don't like how low those filters sit especially with rain involved.

Plus those filter socks look like they would kill flow.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

does wrapping the exhaust keep it hotter, from zombies post heat is good, but is that what the exhaust wrap does
the wrap keeps the heat in better. The turbo likes hotter exhaust gas.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:31 AM
Launching!

thanks for all th info guys,
its really helping
Old 12-10-2007, 05:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
A FMIC is a want, not a need. It will lower your IATs and let you run more boost.......
Have to disagree w/ ya' there. My IAT's were hitting 135+ before adding a FMIC. The computer is pulling so much timing at that high of intake temp that it really negates the purpose of having the turbo. Could tune that out....and detonate. Am only running 5PSI too.

No, a FMIC is a must. My IAT's never get more than 25 degrees over outside temp now, no matter how I'm driving

Originally Posted by trtturbo
the wrap keeps the heat in better. The turbo likes hotter exhaust gas.
Yep. Billy did my exhaust this last summer. Car spools about 500RPM lower than before

Last edited by Schantin; 12-10-2007 at 05:57 AM.

Quick Reply: sts setup?