Does anyone know about back pressure??!!- do i need a new engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know about back pressure??!!- do i need a new engine?

OK, Took my car to get a simple diagnosis due to it smoking. I originally thought the head gasket was blown on the passanger side and the smoke was burnoff from the oil hitting the exhaust. The mecanic told me that the oil pan gasket was blown and needed to be replaced...that's done and i still have smoke-even more. New diagnosis says it's back pressure due (coming out of my dipstick) to the age/were and tear on my engine. The car is a 98' T/A with about 225,000 miles on it. The only remedy I'm getting is to replace the motor! The question I have is what else could be done. My PCV is clean and so is the throttle; why is the pressure not goming out the exhaust. I am on the market for a ls1 motor if anyone has any suggestions, (I'm in Mo. City) but I want to build this one the way I want it, any suggestions would be great!!!

thnaks all as usual!!!
Old 12-09-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

go get a pressure gauge and check the pressure of each cylinder. i know allot of mechanics and i would not trust a mechanic shop.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Originally Posted by andy1h2004
OK, Took my car to get a simple diagnosis due to it smoking. I originally thought the head gasket was blown on the passanger side and the smoke was burnoff from the oil hitting the exhaust. The mecanic told me that the oil pan gasket was blown and needed to be replaced...that's done and i still have smoke-even more. New diagnosis says it's back pressure due (coming out of my dipstick) to the age/were and tear on my engine. The car is a 98' T/A with about 225,000 miles on it. The only remedy I'm getting is to replace the motor! The question I have is what else could be done. My PCV is clean and so is the throttle; why is the pressure not goming out the exhaust. I am on the market for a ls1 motor if anyone has any suggestions, (I'm in Mo. City) but I want to build this one the way I want it, any suggestions would be great!!!

thnaks all as usual!!!
Sounds like your rings are shot. You need a rebuild.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats about par mileage for the rings. Rebuild it bigger and better for the same or cheaper anyhow
Old 12-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Launching!

Yeah - check your compression. This will tell you if one or more cylinders have bad rings and is giving you the blow by. Your probably going to have to pull it and atleast re-ring it. But I would just rebuild the whole thing while you are there
Old 12-09-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

I had a problem with oil coming up the dipstick tube on my old TA. I just put a breather on the fill tube in the valve cover, solved that problem.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your problem is blow bye not back preasure. Do a leak down test to find out how bad it is and go from there. If it is bad enough you will have to rebuild or replace the motor. The cheap way out would be pull the motor inspect the pistons and cylinders. If they are good you can hone the cylinders and put new rings in.