Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which do you think makes more HP
K&N Cold AIR FIPK
22.58%
Wisper Lid (any brand)
77.42%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Cold Air vs. Wisper

Old 12-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air vs. Wisper

Back when i first bought my Camaro it orig had a wisper lid that worked fine. Then one day at Auto Zone i see the display for the Terminator Cobra cold air intake - 35hp. I couldent believe it, i immedeately walked to the counter and ordered one for the SS. The guy showd me a pic first and its a 360 degree exposed filter. Right away i figured at least 10hp over what i got. I think it costed me $330 wich is a nice chunk of change but i knew no one else i had seen was running it and that fact was worth it alone. No one can look at these 2 diff induction designs and not see the K&N is hands down the best on the market. Although twice the cost of the wisper it is well worth it. Easy install and unquestioned seat of the pants hp registration. They even include a dyno sheet that claims like 12-13 hp. Bad *** system just wish more people would listen. NO ONE ELSE SEEMS TO RUN THIS.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about some pics of your setup.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have what i'm thinking, i had one on my 6 cylinder and it was a pretty nice system.. It just wouldn't fit when i swapped so i went with a full SLP flowpac... lid, ram air, smooth bellow.... It works nice and pulls cold air in.. I'd like to see a comparison between it and the K&N with some dyno graphs..
Old 12-09-2007, 02:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SSickLS1
Back when i first bought my Camaro it orig had a wisper lid that worked fine. Then one day at Auto Zone i see the display for the Terminator Cobra cold air intake - 35hp. I couldent believe it, i immedeately walked to the counter and ordered one for the SS. The guy showd me a pic first and its a 360 degree exposed filter. Right away i figured at least 10hp over what i got. I think it costed me $330 wich is a nice chunk of change but i knew no one else i had seen was running it and that fact was worth it alone. No one can look at these 2 diff induction designs and not see the K&N is hands down the best on the market. Although twice the cost of the wisper it is well worth it. Easy install and unquestioned seat of the pants hp registration. They even include a dyno sheet that claims like 12-13 hp. Bad *** system just wish more people would listen. NO ONE ELSE SEEMS TO RUN THIS.
gotta disagree...the best induction for our cars is any brand lid and a FTRA or SSRA that takes air from under the car...now if someone were to just do say a lid or just the K&N induction(one you are talking about) then you might be correct but with the K&n you cannot use a ftra or ssra and properly seal it to gain the "ram air" effect...

so only one mod you might be right but with a lid and an under the car cold air intake that is sealed properly will always reign supreme...

For an extreme version of a ftra check out my sig...
Old 12-09-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

a lid is worth 10 hp and that K&N kit is worth the same thing its just some people buy the K&N b/c they think it look or works better. I run a K&N filter but thats my choice and a whole new box of worms but your lid is pretty much the most you can do.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

i run the k&n cai and i could definatley feel a "SOTP" difference. +1 K&N
Old 12-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cvaught
how about some pics of your setup.
Sorry no under the hood pics yet.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Launching!

I wish they had a flow bench style test for these setups. My opinion is that the increased surface area would make for easier induction. Kinda like the difference between a pinched straw and an open straw, just an opinion though. During the summer road temps reach 140+ around where i live. A reason i disagree with the "under the car induction" theory. Air down there may be moving but it is not the best location temp wise. If anything the setups that pull from the hoods ram air are getting the coolist temps. Temp affects air density, and its not like theres a vacuum under your hood devoid of air. The filter being exposed to moving air means nothing if the air isnt cool.

You can find pics on K&N's website of their FIPK "fuel injected performance kit". They are also available on e-bay, but not for much cheaper than at parts stores since nobody that buys these ever get rid of them.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

I understand what your saying but you can have no filter at all but the amount of air allowed into the engine is going to be restricted by the PCM and how much fuel is going to be let into the cylinders. A lid flows extreamly well, What is restrictive from the factory is the ridges inside the lid opposed to a smooth aftermarket inside. And this is not anybodys opinion its a proven fact that has been tested on a dyno.

And for Slowandrichws6 was the difference felt going from a lid or from a factory setup? With a factory setup you will/should feel a difference.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:16 AM
12 Second Club

A lid is a lid is a lid. And that open K&N thing blows. Only good thing on it is the V-neck (air flows better through that shape creates a tornado like effect) Other than that it is now put under warmer temps because its not sealed in any way from the motor
Old 12-10-2007, 11:13 PM
FormerVendor

We would recommend a lid and the FTRA for the best performance. The K&N style open element air cleaners injest too much engine heated air. When the LS1's first came out, there were a few conical style open element air filter systems avaible. They all were outperformed by the lid style systems and disappeared shortly after.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still am leaning towards the Volant... it seals out the hot air and seems to work great, especially on a WS6
Old 12-11-2007, 12:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
I still am leaning towards the Volant... it seals out the hot air and seems to work great, especially on a WS6
if you like the look of it go for it but a lid and ftra type ram air will give you the best results...i guarantee it
Old 12-11-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

^^^ i agree, ftra lid/paper filter/whisper lid and i felt a def increase throughout the rpms
Old 12-11-2007, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

im going to go ahead and tell everyone that ive seen the preasure increases from the slp style under car box and kits like the volant OR an slp lid with the jaam ram air kit and the under car style makes less pressure. seen it, its true, believe it or not, under the car isnt the best period.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

well cobras respond better to mods, than a fbody.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by THEBRAD
im going to go ahead and tell everyone that ive seen the preasure increases from the slp style under car box and kits like the volant OR an slp lid with the jaam ram air kit and the under car style makes less pressure. seen it, its true, believe it or not, under the car isnt the best period.
would you be willing to put a wager on that...there is a reason why prostock has a hood scoop that is close to 10-12" off the hood...they need to get the fresh turbulent free air...take for example the ram air ws6...hardly any air is actually going in the holes of the hood because the air wants to flow over the car not inside the holes...

now think about why our cars from the factory have a huge 4 in plastic air deflector infront of the radiator, this is to cause huge amounts of air to go through the radiator...now direct that air into the intake and you got yourself a very nice increase in hp...
Old 12-11-2007, 06:47 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by chrs1313
would you be willing to put a wager on that...there is a reason why prostock has a hood scoop that is close to 10-12" off the hood...they need to get the fresh turbulent free air...take for example the ram air ws6...hardly any air is actually going in the holes of the hood because the air wants to flow over the car not inside the holes...

now think about why our cars from the factory have a huge 4 in plastic air deflector infront of the radiator, this is to cause huge amounts of air to go through the radiator...now direct that air into the intake and you got yourself a very nice increase in hp...
Very well said. There will be some air going through the hood but not as much as the air that is hitting the lower air deflector. Out of all the factory hoods, the WS6 hoods are the best but your performance increase is going to be the best with a bottom breathing kit. The JAAM kit we sell for WS6 cars makes the WS6 hood as functional as possible and does provide a performance increase over stock.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

hmmm i have a 01 ws6 with a SLP lid, whats this kit that makes the ram air breathe better? and how much ;D
Old 12-12-2007, 04:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DarkJuggalo
hmmm i have a 01 ws6 with a SLP lid, whats this kit that makes the ram air breathe better? and how much ;D
JAAM Ram Air Kit @ Fast Toys, according to what it says in the lil description, it is 15-20 hp increases @ 100mph and increases the fast you go. sounds good

Search this Thread