Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Still confused about Speaker install..

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Still confused about Speaker install..

I've read these posts, but none of them agree, and really don't give me the info i want. The speaker install thread says they are using coaxials, but then sometimes i read they are coaxial components (which doesn't exist) A coaxial speaker is a speaker where the tweeter is mounted onto it with a built in crossover. A component set has a seperate tweeter and a seperate crossover. According to Whitebird, you can't use coaxial speakers, but he keeps referring to them as Coaxial components, which doesn't exist. All i want to do is get rid of the front 2 speakers and the Headunit. Is there a simple way to just have the amp power the rear mids/lows and use the new Headunit on just the fronts? If not, it's not a problem to completely run new wires directly from the HU to the new speakers up front, but will that **** up the speakers in the back? I did this in my last car. But it was a Delco and i had to completely rip the **** out which i didn't really want to do, i'd like to be able to return everything they way they are in case i ever want to get rid of this car.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:09 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually coaxial components DO exist. I carry them and have them for sale here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/808727-kee-audio-holiday-speaker-specials.html I also carry the CL-61CV which is a stamped steel version instead of the cast baskets. It works well with the stock Monsoon system. Plus it is only $149.00.
They are usually refered to as a convertable system as they can convert to a coaxial. This makes wiring your syetem easy and you can still utilize the stock Monsoon amp to power everything.
I also carry the Powerbass 3XL 675 ($89.00) which is their top of the line coaxial. It has an exposed crossover network which gives you access to the tweeter wires. You can then tap into them and attach the stock tweeter wires to them easily.
Lots of options for your Camaro that sound great, wire easily and mount in the stock locations. Hope this helps. PM me if you need more help or post here!

Last edited by KEE AUDIO; 12-10-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Yup, I have some of those nonexistent speakers in my doors - I got them from Kee Audio. They sure sound good for being just my imagination.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Okay, well i apoligize, i've never heard of a convertable coaxial component set. I'm just kind of confused. I don't want a fancy component set that will require a seperate amp to power, i had a set of Polk MMC6500 in my old camaro off a Kicker Kx 450.2, and they sounded awesome. But i don't want to wire this car up for amps, etc. I just need some speakers that i can directly replace the stock speakers in the front, and will work will with Hu power (20wrms or so). I'd like to still use the stock mid/rear speakers though. If you have any suggestions of what i should do, let me know. I'm proably just going to go with a set of Pioneer Rev coaxials and one of the 9883 Alpine HU's. If i could avoid running new wires from the Hu to the speakers that would be great, but wouldn't be a problem if it had to be done. So these powerbass speakers basically work the same way as the stock ones, the tweeter is powered by the HU and the woofer by the monsoon amp. Wouldn't that screw things up if i had a Aftermarket HU? wouldn't i have to wire everything directly to the HU? but then if i did that i don't see how i could get the rest of the system to work properly..

Last edited by slikrider20; 12-10-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:30 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Well, I would recommend leaving the Monsoon amp rather than powering the speakers off the head unit. The amp is actually quite good - probably the best part of the whole Monsoon system.

So, first, all speakers (including the tweeters) are powered by the amp in a Camaro. Only Firebirds have the tweeters running off the head unit. You can use ordinary coaxial speakers in the doors if you get a set that allows you to clip the leads to the tweeters so they can be wired to the separate channel (Alpines are good for this but there are many others as well). However, the CDTs are a direct drop-in replacement for the Camaro and they're not that expensive - I highly recommend them.

Next, you can leave the factory subs in the sail panels if they are in good shape. Or you can replace them with CDT or eD midbass/subs for somewhat crisper bass. You might as well leave the factory hatch speakers. They contribute so little that upgrading probably isn't necessary unless they are blown. There are some inexpensive 4" speakers available if you want to upgrade.

Replacing the head unit is the best thing you can do to the Monsoon system. It's easy - just a mounting kit, a wiring harness adapter, and an antenna adapter are needed. (The harness adapter isn't strictly necessary but it makes a much neater installation.)

You'll be amazed at how much better the system can sound when you run an aftermarket head unit and upgraded speakers with the factory amp. Plus, doing that leaves your options open for future upgrades such as a sub and amp.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

yeah, i was a diehard car audio man before this, i just was a bit confused as to what i needed out of a speaker to get it to work with this system. I understand that i just need to find a coax with the tweeter wires exposed pretty well, which i noticed the alpine coax's are. You should check this out...

Last edited by slikrider20; 12-11-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

that box there prolly sounds good but damn. in this day and age thats kinda silly. you can get a lot of sound from one 10. o btw, i hate the way ported boxes sound.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:59 AM
TECH Resident

You can get even better sound with a 15....lol. Set up properly, ported boxes can sound great. I think mine hit like a 142.6 db with 1 15.....
Old 12-12-2007, 04:26 AM
TECH Resident

I just have one more question, how much does the monsoon amp put out per front speaker?
Old 12-12-2007, 07:43 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Nobody knows for sure. The so-called 500W Monsoon amp is really closer to 240W RMS and has eight channels so that would mean 30W per channel. But I'm sure that the channels aren't treated equally - the sail panel subs get more power and the hatch speakers get less. A reasonable guess for the doors would be about 30W for the mids and maybe 20W for the tweeters.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Alright, i have came across these speakers, which are supposed to be one of the best coaxials you can get. Now i can't really tell, but it looks liike the tweeter wires are on the bottom exposed pretty well. Has anyone used these before? I really want these but don't want to get them if i can't get to the tweeter wires...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...oneer/TS-D161R
Old 12-16-2007, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for starters those arent the best speakers you can get

and furthermore putting a nice speaker with high power handing in with a monsoon amp that doesnt put out crap isnt the best idea

generally higher power handling = lower effciency = quieter when you dont have jack for power
Old 12-17-2007, 01:26 AM
TECH Resident

thats somewhat true, but these have a relatively high efficiency at 90 DB, and play pretty well off Headunit power, which is still less than the monsoon amp is putting out. my question was more along the lines of if i can get the tweeter wires to work on these. these coax's will kick most coax's *** in this range.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

That box is more like a transmission line, and I doubt it's designed as a transmission line should be.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

actually, it is, i went through like 10+ designs to get that thing to work.......buncha hatas on this site..
Old 12-17-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

the sides that look messed up are just little 1/2" pieces of scrap wood that i put on there so i could carpet the sides, there is no leaks...and i actually know how to design boxes, i have a neat little system using excel/sketchup and can draw up regular shaped boxes in no time. Spent alot of time over on caraudio.com, as i probably know much much more than any of you guys on here.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

If you know so much more than anyone here then why are you here asking questions and looking for opinions? Or are we only allowed to express opinions when we pat you on the back for how you outclass all of us? Pardon me for not genuflecting.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slikrider20
actually, it is, i went through like 10+ designs to get that thing to work.......buncha hatas on this site..
Yeah? How'd you design and tune it? Did you use Martin J. King's app.?

There will always be people that know more than you. And if you type the way you do, chances are there will be a LOT of people that know more than you.

Last edited by dragonrage; 12-18-2007 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

Off topic, but did you do a front end swap on your car? I see the older interior with bose setup and the later exterior...
Old 12-18-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

haha no i didn't do a swap, those pictures are from my old 95 V6 Camaro, the car in my sig is my new 00 z28 (which is stock as can be for stereo)
and i made my own excel box calculator, if anyone wants it to see if i'm screwing around i'm not, it actually works. You just plug the numbers you see in and make the box design in Sketchup, and get all the panels dimensions that you need.
it's based off this formula, on JL audio's website.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=165

I'm not asking questions on which speakers to get or how to wire them, i am just asking specifically for this car since they don't have a normal speaker setup. I've never played with a Monsoon system so basically that was all i was asking of. Sorry if i came off rude.