Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding sound in rear of car

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 04:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Grinding sound in rear of car

Alright well im not too much of a noobie to this stuff, but i couldnt really figure out where else to post and this may just be a newbie question anyway... but here it is... whenever i am going... just letting off the brake and gas in park from a roll.. also while stopping i can hear it... but there is a grinding sound in the rear of the car that sounds like it happens once every time the wheel makes a rotation... one problem i do know i have in the rear is the fact that i need new shocks cuz these are busted, but i wouldnt think that would be a problem that would constantly make a sound once every time the wheel goes around... i also wouldnt think it would be the need of new brake pads because of the fact that it makes the sound when the brakes are being pressed... what does this problem sound like?
Old 12-10-2007, 04:23 AM
TECH Resident

rotor could be warped and rubbing the pad at a certain point during rotation, pad could be warn down and metal clip could be rubbing.. So check that if you didnt.. And it also could be the wheel bearing..

Does it make that sound when your turning hard?
Old 12-10-2007, 04:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i havent really checked to see about that... and i havent even torn the caliper off to see what was goin on in there... i was going to do it this weekend after i put my turn signal switch in, but after having to delay about half of that project a day to wait for the parts store to open again to get a compressing tool, and then spending another 4 hours to try to get everything set back in and right, i totally spaced tearin in and seeing what was going on... and basically i am just tryin to get ideas of what to look for before tearing it all down
so i wont be able to check this all out till this weekend, but i will look for those problems
thanks
Old 12-10-2007, 04:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

I get the same noise after a heavy meal.

I would check the rotor and replace the brake pad for starters
Old 12-10-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check that you still have both of the bolts that hold the caliper bracket on. This happened to me a few months ago. Sounds like the caliper is rubbing on the side of the rotor.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah sounds like either i need new brake pads or i am rubbing for some reason, cuz when i mash the breaks to the floor from about 5mph... dont want to do it and lock up the breaks totally lol... but it doesnt make the sound...
haha and ya i get that noise too sometimes after a big meal... but its not so much metal on metal grinding i dont think lol