Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Whoops, bought too much exhaust wrap

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whoops, bought too much exhaust wrap

Ok, so I woke up this morning with a sudden realization. Hoping I was wrong, I logged onto Summit Racing and scanned the product (exhaust wrap) I had just bought. Yep, I was right (or wrong?) ... I am the purchaser of 200ft of exhaust wrap as opposed to the standard 100ft that most people use for their STS kits. It's too late to change the order and returning it will leave a pretty big hit on the restocking fee I'm sure. Now, would there be any detriment to using all 200ft on the exhaust as opposed to just the 100ft that seems to be standard? I'm sure it'll help trap in more of that exhaust temp, but will it increase corrosion time of the pipes that I've been hearing about?

Maybe I'll just sell one of the kits on here, heehee ... or maybe the STS will now spool up like a FM turbo kit, haha ... doubt it tho
Old 12-12-2007, 09:15 AM
11 Second Club

You might as well keep the order because exhaust wrap needs to be replaced about every 2 months....
Old 12-12-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
You might as well keep the order because exhaust wrap needs to be replaced about every 2 months....

Not exactly sure why (if you did) you replaced the wrap after two months but I have had my wrap on for more than 8 months and I did a STS fbody almost two years ago and it has had the same wrap on it ever since with no problems. We did use the high temp silicone spray to coat the entire wrap and spray an additional coat once a year.

IMO I would replace the wrap about every year and a half depending on where you live and road/weather conditions. I think using all 200ft. will be a little overkill but it's up to you. Just hang on to it and use it later on or sell it.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by OreoLt1
Not exactly sure why (if you did) you replaced the wrap after two months but I have had my wrap on for more than 8 months and I did a STS fbody almost two years ago and it has had the same wrap on it ever since with no problems. We did use the high temp silicone spray to coat the entire wrap and spray an additional coat once a year.

IMO I would replace the wrap about every year and a half depending on where you live and road/weather conditions. I think using all 200ft. will be a little overkill but it's up to you. Just hang on to it and use it later on or sell it.
Yea, doing it every 2 months seems absurd. Maybe every 2 years. I was planning on wrapping it and then wrapping it again with HVAC aluminum tape like I've read on here ... think that will increase the longevity of the wrap.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
That's news to me, my wrap has been on several months and I see it lasting a long time. One of the tricks is to use a worm gear hose clamp every 12" and that will help it last a lot longer because even if it gets a tear or unwraps, it can only screw up a 12" section which is easy to repair.

My 100' length of wrap only made it to right over the axle rear. I still need to wrap the rest. It can only improve spool even more
Old 12-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Launching!

also remember to wrap from back to front so that the leading edge of the wrap is to the back of the car. every little bit helps.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=Zombie;8289467]One of the tricks is to use a worm gear hose clamp every 12" and that will help it last a lot longer because even if it gets a tear or unwraps, it can only screw up a 12" section which is easy to repair.QUOTE]

on the hose clamps. The SS locking ties are a pain in the ***. Plus you risk the chance of destroying them if you need to unwrap it.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You have to replace exhaust wrap? I was planning on wrapping my headers just to keep the heat in because I have two cut-outs and need more velocity. But, if you have to replace it all the time, I'm not sure. I have stainless headers.

My car is NA, not FI.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spray the silicon coating on it you will be fine for a long time.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:15 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Spray the silicon coating on it you will be fine for a long time.
We've had it last quite a while without spraying it, but spraying it will help to prevent it from soaking in moisture and rotting out. Bob
Old 12-12-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Whoa, whoa, whoa. You have to replace exhaust wrap? I was planning on wrapping my headers just to keep the heat in because I have two cut-outs and need more velocity. But, if you have to replace it all the time, I'm not sure. I have stainless headers.

My car is NA, not FI.
Eventually you might have to replace it just to conditions over time. If you use the silicone spray and properly wrap your items it will lessen the chance of having to change it.

Nothing lasts forever EXCEPT for Everlasting Gobstoppers

Quick Reply: Whoops, bought too much exhaust wrap