Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How much does it cost to replace a syncro?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How much does it cost to replace a syncro?

I have a bad feeling that my 5th gear syncro is going out, as it grinds most every time I shift it into 5th, and some times it is VERY particular about going into 5th such as it won't always go into 5th from 6th, or from 3rd, most times only from 4th gear.

Anyways, anyone have this done by a shop, or a dealer before? I just want to get some kind of ball park on how much this is going to cost me.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Most people charge between $300-$450 to pull and reinstall the transmission. The average rebuild labor cost on a transmission is $300-$350 of course dealerships are higher. An average Carbon Blocker ring Kit is $169 to do them all.

Hope it gives you some insite to cost.

Thanks,
Amber
Old 12-13-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Oh good God! So, all said and done, an average of $800 or so!!???

Before I get ahead of myself, does it sound like the syncro is my issue here? Very specifically, if I am driving the car hard through the gears, and I try to go into 5th from the top of 4th, a lot of times it won't go in at all. If I try to downshift from 6th to 5th, or even upshift from 3rd to 5th sometimes it won't go in no matter how hard I try. If I am driving the car under regular driving conditions and I shift from 4th to 5th it grinds. However if I pull the shifter out of 4th with the clutch down, and wait a second or two, and then shift it into 5th, it goes in as smooth as butter with no sounds. Does this sound like a syncro? Or do I have other issues at work here?
Old 12-13-2007, 09:40 AM
FormerVendor

Sounds like either a synchro or gear issue. Most likely the synchro is worn out. How many miles on the car??

Amber
Old 12-13-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Six Speeds Inc.
Most people charge between $300-$450 to pull and reinstall the transmission. The average rebuild labor cost on a transmission is $300-$350 of course dealerships are higher. An average Carbon Blocker ring Kit is $169 to do them all.

Hope it gives you some insite to cost.

Thanks,
Amber
Ok, now I'm concerned. My car was doing the exact same thing in sixth. Now you guys did say that my gear actually was damaged but that was only an extra $100. Another $100 because I let you replace reverse even though I wasn't having any problems with it. So why did it cost me over $1300. I'm not bashing. I'm pleased with the rebuild. However, reading $350 labor plus $169 plus maybe, $200 for gears. I can't help but wonder why I didn't just pay about $725. I'm only asking in the public forum because I have previously endorsed "sixspeeds" in the public forum.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:10 AM
FormerVendor

Remember ours are packages. You get billet slider keys, bronze fork pads, steek fork 3/4, new 1/2 slider, new 3/4 slider and what ever else was on the invoice. I try to tell people you don't want to fix just what is wrong if you are going to take it to the track. You always want to upgrade what you can which costs money. Fixing the problem is usually just as expensive as upgrading while you are in there since you are only paying labor once.

Amber
Old 12-13-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like either a synchro or gear issue. Most likely the synchro is worn out. How many miles on the car??

Amber
It just turned over 92,000 miles. I have only owned the car since Feb, and put only about 7,000 miles on it. Like everyone else, I would like to get this fixed as cheeply and easy as possible. What do you figure are the parts I will need? Syncro? Gear? As you put it in an above post, what all would be a good idea to change or upgrade with this many miles while I have the tranny out?
Old 12-13-2007, 11:07 AM
FormerVendor

I would do for sure the following:

5/6 Slider- $95
Carbon Blocker Rings- $169
Bearings- $159

Everything else will be at your discretion and what you want to spend the money on. The other things we normally suggest replacing but make the cost go up are:

1/2 Slider- $115
3/4 Slider- $115
Steel 3/4 For- $39
Billet 3/4 Keys- $75
Bronze 1-2 Fork Pads- $30
Bronze 3-4 Fork Pads- $30

Now as far as the gear goes that would be if it is damaged. The gear is $95 and depending on how long it has been since the problem started the gear might be fine. In most cases it is but there are those out there that can't be saved.

Amber
Old 12-13-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribing for down the road.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Remember ours are packages. You get billet slider keys, bronze fork pads, steek fork 3/4, new 1/2 slider, new 3/4 slider and what ever else was on the invoice. I try to tell people you don't want to fix just what is wrong if you are going to take it to the track. You always want to upgrade what you can which costs money. Fixing the problem is usually just as expensive as upgrading while you are in there since you are only paying labor once.

Amber
Old 12-13-2007, 06:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CALL911
I have a bad feeling that my 5th gear syncro is going out, as it grinds most every time I shift it into 5th, and some times it is VERY particular about going into 5th such as it won't always go into 5th from 6th, or from 3rd, most times only from 4th gear.

Anyways, anyone have this done by a shop, or a dealer before? I just want to get some kind of ball park on how much this is going to cost me.
If you just wanted to fix the problem, all you would probably need is a $20 blocker ring and a new 5-6 slider which is around $100. With that said, nothing would be upgraded and the other components would be in the same state they are now. I would recommend upgrading what you can, and all new blockers as well however.

I just fixed a reverse problem in an f-body t56 today. Our labor to pull the transmission from the car is $200. I charged 1 hour labor to remove the tailhousing and repair the reverse components ($68). His total bill with a new slider and blocker labor and all was less than $400.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Well, the biggest cost to me (and pain) will be from labor, or yanking the tranny and paying shipping to wherever it gets repaired. I know of a good transmission shop back where I am from in Indiana, and I may have them give me a quote on labor, and then get all the "possible" problem parts replaced.

Jonathan, what would be the turnaround time in fixing my tranny? Would it be something that could be done in a buisness day? Or are we talking much longer?
Old 12-16-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont know if this would have anything to do with it, but when I changed the ATF in my T56 i refilled it with synthetic fluid, it didnt like that, i was grinding 4th and 5th, i drained it and filled with conventional ATF and it went back to normal. I dont know if you have chamnged the fluid or not but i would try that before pulling the trans, just my $0.02
Old 12-16-2007, 02:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CALL911
Well, the biggest cost to me (and pain) will be from labor, or yanking the tranny and paying shipping to wherever it gets repaired. I know of a good transmission shop back where I am from in Indiana, and I may have them give me a quote on labor, and then get all the "possible" problem parts replaced.

Jonathan, what would be the turnaround time in fixing my tranny? Would it be something that could be done in a buisness day? Or are we talking much longer?
It could be done in one business day as long as the gear itself isn't damaged. I don't usually stock gears, but even if we had to order anything it shouldn't be longer than 4 days before its back on its way to you. Fixing a problem concearning 5th, 6th, or reverse should only take 1-2 hrs tops if you don't want to make any other upgrades.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
It could be done in one business day as long as the gear itself isn't damaged. I don't usually stock gears, but even if we had to order anything it shouldn't be longer than 4 days before its back on its way to you. Fixing a problem concearning 5th, 6th, or reverse should only take 1-2 hrs tops if you don't want to make any other upgrades.
i just replaced my slave cylinder in my 07 350z and decided to go ahead and upgrade to a stage 2 clutch, after the break in period as well as the during it, my car as been grinding 2nd and 4th gear and i don't know why! Any suggestions??
Old 10-25-2016, 06:12 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Your clutch is probably not releasing correctly.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1 joe
I would do for sure the following:

5/6 Slider- $95
Carbon Blocker Rings- $169
Bearings- $159

Everything else will be at your discretion and what you want to spend the money on. The other things we normally suggest replacing but make the cost go up are:

1/2 Slider- $115
3/4 Slider- $115
Steel 3/4 For- $39
Billet 3/4 Keys- $75
Bronze 1-2 Fork Pads- $30
Bronze 3-4 Fork Pads- $30

Now as far as the gear goes that would be if it is damaged. The gear is $95 and depending on how long it has been since the problem started the gear might be fine. In most cases it is but there are those out there that can't be saved.

Amber
Hi, looks like you no where I can get the trany parts I need for my 2011 camaro ls v6 mantran. Need the blocker rings you spoke of if they have em for the AY6 jap crap! Do u have a number or a web site?
Old 10-16-2018, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by $lee
Hi, looks like you no where I can get the trany parts I need for my 2011 camaro ls v6 mantran. Need the blocker rings you spoke of if they have em for the AY6 jap crap! Do u have a number or a web site?

You do realize you're asking a question from a 2007 post...???

Quick Reply: How much does it cost to replace a syncro?