Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Taillight Mod

Old 12-13-2007, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taillight Mod

I saw a 1985 Chevy Caprice with this once. The pic is small because it's someone's avatar on ThirdGen.org

I want to do this to my 01 T/A. Anyone know how?

Old 12-13-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its commonly known as the "sequential turn signal mod". I think you can get a module, and you have to change the outermost socket...but that might be all there is to it. I dont know for sure...

Might turn something up if you google seq. turn signal mod.

Here is a site off the cuff...although not showing any support for f-bodies, it might be a good place to start.

http://www.sequentialtaillights.com/

And another site that has it listed..but looks like you have to join the site.

http://www.importmodifications.com/chevroletcamaro.html

J.

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 12-13-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

IIRC the guy you got the avatar from sells them. He might be able to help you out. I might have seen kits on ebay too.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:05 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Have a look on Brent Franker's site. Brent is well known for f-body mods - he sells the brass replacement gears for Firebird headlight motors.

I have the sequential turn signals in my T/A and they are a real attention grabber. I almost consider them a safety item because people really notice when you use them. I even had a guy in a BMW follow me into a parking lot to ask where I got them.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

Thanks, WhiteBird, but I have all the electrical know-how of a brick, so I think I'll get someone more experienced than I to install this kit.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Actually, it's quite easy. If you can connect the wiring for a stereo then you can do this mod. It's just a case of adding a dual filament bulb socket for the outer segment to replace the factory single filament socket and then connecting the wires. If you don't want the sequencing to happen when the brakes are applied then you also need to run a pair of wires up to the steering column to connect there.

Then you might have to play around with different flashers until you get the timing right. I think it was the fourth flasher I tried that finally was slow enough.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

I can hook up speakers to a stereo, but the instructions talk about cutting and tracing and shortening wires and all kinds of stuff that I know nothing about.

And I don't understand what you mean by "fourth flasher," but I DO want the sequence to happen when I brake.

To be honest, I'd rather set it up so that the lights alternate as opposed to sequentially light up. So instead of going "OFF-I-IM-IMO-OFF" (I - inside, M - middle, O - outside) it would go "OFF-I-M-O-M-I-M-O-etc." Any idea how to do that?
Old 12-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by mermel
I can hook up speakers to a stereo, but the instructions talk about cutting and tracing and shortening wires and all kinds of stuff that I know nothing about.
No tracing is necessary - I can tell you where to find the necessary wires and what color they are.

And I don't understand what you mean by "fourth flasher," but I DO want the sequence to happen when I brake.
I meant that I bought several different flashers in an effort to find one that would cycle slow enough that the light sequencing would have the desired effect. It was the fourth or fifth one I tried that finally ran slow enough.

To be honest, I'd rather set it up so that the lights alternate as opposed to sequentially light up. So instead of going "OFF-I-IM-IMO-OFF" (I - inside, M - middle, O - outside) it would go "OFF-I-M-O-M-I-M-O-etc." Any idea how to do that?
I don't know of a way to do that other than creating your own electronic module and providing an alternate power source. You're not allowing for an off cycle in that pattern but the power coming from the turn signal switch is an on-off pattern. Not to mention that what you're suggesting would be confusing to people behind you. The sequential pattern moves from inside to outside making the direction of the signal obvious.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Ok, then from what you're telling me there's only one thing stopping me from doing this myself. I don't have or have access to (or even know what it is) a Dremel. It says I have to cut my taillight in the back in a way that would allow the outer light to illuminate during braking and turning.

I'm very scared when I do something to my car myself since I don't know what I'm doing. One thing done wrong and it won't work. Give me a computer, a screwdriver, and a RAM tester and I can troubleshoot anything computer-wise, but I know nothing when it comes to cars (don't even know how to change my own oil).
Old 12-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

A Dremel is the brand name of a rotary tool. It is somewhat similar to a drill but it's designed to use various cutting and grinding tips.

There is an existing bulb and socket in the outboard segment of the taillight but it's a single filament bulb that only works with the running lights. You need to install a dual filament bulb and socket there so that it will work with the brakes and turn signals as well as the running lights. Dual filament bulbs and sockets are larger than the single filament ones so you use the rotary tool to enlarge the existing hole to fit the new socket. You could do it with a sharp knife if you're patient but you can get a rotary tool from Harbor Freight for $20 (they even have a 12V model for $8).
Old 12-14-2007, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Power tools and me don't mix either. I'll just get someone from my local FBody Association to do it. Still, many thanks for the link. Cheap for such a cool mod.

Search this Thread