Has anyone shot +P, +P+, or Super 45 ammo?

Old 12-14-2007, 06:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Has anyone shot +P, +P+, or Super 45 ammo?

I have read about it and ordered 250 rounds of +P for .45. I was just wondering if anyone on here has personal exp. with it or has a brand they recommend. I have heard, but I'm not positive that it shoots about 500+fps faster.

Thomas
Old 12-14-2007, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive used C++
Old 12-14-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why are you worried about fps with a pistol? chances are you arent going to be shooting more than 30 yards at your target, and you are not going to be able to tell the difference with another 500 fps, IMHO. i too get the more FPS it is more than likley a lighter grain bullet which will have less knock down power. that is the point of having a .45 is it not? not trying to be a dick, just wondering why i guess, sorry. also i havent shot the ammo you are asking about either.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SUTTERERMAN85
why are you worried about fps with a pistol? chances are you arent going to be shooting more than 30 yards at your target, and you are not going to be able to tell the difference with another 500 fps, IMHO. i too get the more FPS it is more than likley a lighter grain bullet which will have less knock down power. that is the point of having a .45 is it not? not trying to be a dick, just wondering why i guess, sorry. also i havent shot the ammo you are asking about either.
The why is just because. The supers and +P rounds have the same external size, but have a little bit less volume on the inside due to thicker brass. They just have more powder. They are using a 230gr FMJ.

The other why is I just bought it, its an HK USP, and it says I can, so I wanted to try it out. I was not looking for knock down hints why I ordered the FMJs, I looking more towards that was badass factor.

Thomas
Old 12-14-2007, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

Its the whole would you rather shoot off a little firework or do you want the big nasty one.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

This might help you out Thomas
http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar95.htm

My 1911 I carry is loaded with .45 ACP +P hollow points.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

thanks for the info.

Thomas
Old 12-14-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

I've shot the loads you speak of, except for the Super, but in 9mm and 40cal. The difference is not otherworldly, but it is definitely noticeable. If flat out damage is your concern, it can help. Understand, it will affect accuracy, especially on all shots after the first. It will also dramatically affect the lifespan of your pistol. IMO, it's not worth it. The gun is less important than the guys shooting it. Make sure you can hit what you aim at . . . under pressure. That alone is more important than anything. If you know for a fact you'll be shooting through walls or vests, then the extra power in the load really matters a lot. Reality is, if you are cogniscient of that going in - you've got bigger problems to worry about.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

+P stands for added pressure. It's not always more powder, but a different blend in some cases. If you are just plinking, +P is a waste of $$$ and can cause bad anticipation/jerking. Most new guns are designed to handle +P (Barrels anyway) but the slide and other moving parts can take a beating. Can even cause burring in the slide.

As far as "knock down power", it is a combination of velocity and mass. You also have to consider if the bullet is going to "dump" all it's energy in the targe. FMJ will typically burn through soft targets and not transfer all the energy. That's why we have hollow points and other types of ammo.

hope that helps.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just means more pressure, which would lend to more FPS. Except pistols have exceptionally short barrels, so hardly any time to build velocity.

You're not going to gain 500fps, 45ACP typically is lucky to hit 1000fps with a hot defensive JHP. It's a low velocity high energy round. FPS isn't where it makes its money - ft/lbs of energy delivered to the target is where the 45ACP shines.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:37 AM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Go with a 185 gr + P. You will get more fps. Yea you got 250 rounds of 230 gr but I like 185 gr because you get more fps. Yes it is a pistol but fps. is the key as well as a good bullet. What brand and make of ammo did you get. They are not that bad as far as recoil goes. I'm not sure if you can get +p+ for a .45 acp but I may be wrong. Don't worry about the so called knock down power. What you need to worry about is the velocity of the round that creates a temporary cavity (yes even in pistols) that causes pain and then the aftermath of the parts you hit. Ok I guess thats what knock down power is in a sence. It's not the heavier the bullet that creates more knock down power. If that was the case would our millitary shoot a
.223 that is a small and light bullet? The .223 round is just a bit rounder than a .22 bullet, about 4 times a long as a .22 bullet, but has the powder of a .44 Mag. Look into gettin a heavier recoil spring to keep the gun from rising up off the target with the +p ammo. It will make the gun kick straight back instead of up and back. Reasearch the spring you need for your gun befor you purchase one.

Last edited by al; 12-15-2007 at 02:02 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:42 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for all the info. .223 is good I have an AR-15, and that is lots of fun. My personal fav is my H&K G3 that shoots .308 that thing will shoot anything at any distance. The only time I shoot my guns really is when we go to the ranch, and next time we go we may be having the long distance pistol shoot off lol.

Thomas

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone shot +P, +P+, or Super 45 ammo?