Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Anyone at NTI?

Old 12-15-2007, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone at NTI?

Nascar Technical institute!...anyone going there?
Old 12-15-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I went to UTI.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please do not tell me you are going there. That place is the biggest joke around here. Spend $30K just to change oil at a lube shop. They do not even teach you about Nascar and no one from that school ever gets in. Take it from someone who lives in the area and has been in Nascar and in dealerships that school is a rip off and all the Nascar teams think it is a joke. The only reason It is called NTI is because Nascar is located here and the school can charge more money. Do what you want but the school is a joke.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

well thats why i am on here asking man, im getting advice on it....so what about uti?
Old 12-16-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

all those high dollar schools are a joke around dealerships since you don't get any hands on experience. get into an ASEP type program where you get 2 years of hands on experience, an associates degree, and all the neccessary training to pass all ASE tests. I am years ahead of people my age that went through other schools and training programs and I was able to pay for all of my training out of pocket since I was able to work full time and be a full time student at the same time.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

what school did you go to?
Old 12-16-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Veteran

The only school I have heard of that has students hired into NASCAR has been from SAM.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a few good reads, all posted by locals:

http://www.carolinarides.com/forum/s...&highlight=nti

Can't argue with firsthand experience.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cody Brooks
all those high dollar schools are a joke around dealerships since you don't get any hands on experience. get into an ASEP type program where you get 2 years of hands on experience, an associates degree, and all the neccessary training to pass all ASE tests. I am years ahead of people my age that went through other schools and training programs and I was able to pay for all of my training out of pocket since I was able to work full time and be a full time student at the same time.
I somewhat agree. There were alot of kids at UTI that had never worked on a car in their life. So when they get out of course they're not gonna know how do everything on a car with just a year education. Slackers there don't apply themselves, look bad when they get out, and now all the schools have a bad rep. The school has some good sides; most instructors really know their ****, tons of tools and equipment to use, and lifetime job placement. While I was there, I busted my *** to be there every minute of the day, and take as much info in as I could. Passed all 8 ASE tests. Got accepted into Mercedes-Benz, and I'm starting out at a pretty decent position. Not bad for a year and 4 months hard work.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by intense3123
I somewhat agree. There were alot of kids at UTI that had never worked on a car in their life. So when they get out of course they're not gonna know how do everything on a car with just a year education. Slackers there don't apply themselves, look bad when they get out, and now all the schools have a bad rep. The school has some good sides; most instructors really know their ****, tons of tools and equipment to use, and lifetime job placement. While I was there, I busted my *** to be there every minute of the day, and take as much info in as I could. Passed all 8 ASE tests. Got accepted into Mercedes-Benz, and I'm starting out at a pretty decent position. Not bad for a year and 4 months hard work.
I also went to NTI, and couldn't agree more. If you are willing to put the work into it and pay attention in class and lab there are opertunities. Sometimes I wonder if the opertunities are worth the price tag but hey are there. My only recomendation is don't count on staying in the area after school. VERY FEW NTI students ever make it into anything to do with NASCAR!!!! and if they do they start out sweeping floors and making next to nothing. The school is full of students that should'nt even be there but there are some great people and resources as well. If I was to do it all over again I don't think I would go to NTI and probly would'nt even go with a career in automotive stuff at all.

If anyone has any questions about NTI I would be more than happy to give you a real world answer. Just PM me or E-mail me at icucnme58@hotmail.com
Old 12-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

If you're looking at getting into high performance I would suggest SAM (School of Automotive Machinists). We have had may graduates go on to NASCAR, NHRA, etc. Check out the website www.samracing.com.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

i have a good friend at sam, hes home for awhile i might talk to him today about it, thanks alot guys, trying to get life on course
Old 12-17-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

If your thinking about getting a job in NASCAR FORGET IT... the job market is the worst it has ever been hundreds of experenced people are out of work rightnow the market is fucked....with the COT and its only going to get worse...
Old 12-17-2007, 06:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CTSmechanic
If your thinking about getting a job in NASCAR FORGET IT... the job market is the worst it has ever been hundreds of experenced people are out of work rightnow the market is fucked....with the COT and its only going to get worse...

+1 This is not exageratted by any means.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:12 AM
12 Second Club

Just another echo of my NTI experience. It is what you make of it, as most things in life are. I graduated a few years ago and went on to the Audi program and then on to an Audi dealership. It was a great way to get into a very good job. I switched gears and I'm now a Service Manager at an 8bay shop that just hit $2m in service sales this year. While I was a tech I met several other UTI grads that worked at the VW dealer in town and they were doing well. Their dealer even PAID OFF their student loans if they stayed there 2 years, which is rare, but there are dealers doing it. Here is my advice to people trying to decide, based on what I have seen. If you want to get into a performance shop/racing shop, Go to SAM. Hands down they are the best in that field. If you want to be a tech at high end dealer, go to NTI/UTI and get every penny of knowledge out of it while you are there. If you want to work at your local Ford/Chevy dealer, go to a local tech school/community college. You save money that way and can even start working at the dealer part time in the process. Take it from someone that has to recruit techs and general service. Good techs are hard to find, good general service are hard to find. Show someone you've got a good attitude and work hard and you will find a spot. There is good money to be made. 3 of my techs make over $20/hour flat rate and turn 80-90 hours a week. BTW, the top tech at the Audi dealer I worked for made $29.50, plus some extra.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UNDERR8D
I also went to NTI, and couldn't agree more. If you are willing to put the work into it and pay attention in class and lab there are opertunities. Sometimes I wonder if the opertunities are worth the price tag but hey are there. My only recomendation is don't count on staying in the area after school. VERY FEW NTI students ever make it into anything to do with NASCAR!!!! and if they do they start out sweeping floors and making next to nothing. The school is full of students that should'nt even be there but there are some great people and resources as well. If I was to do it all over again I don't think I would go to NTI and probly would'nt even go with a career in automotive stuff at all.

If anyone has any questions about NTI I would be more than happy to give you a real world answer. Just PM me or E-mail me at icucnme58@hotmail.com
one of the best things about going to school there was meeting cool people like this ^ guy.
of the 3 weeks in each class they say that half of the time is spent in lab doing hands-on stuff, thats not exactly true, if you do spend half of your time in lab you have to waste a bunch of the time helping someone with a 5th grade education figure out how to do the activity.
also, remember at any school there is only so much hands on activity that they can give you, they're not going to be able to simulate actual problems to a certain degree.

don't get me wrong, i really liked going to school at NTI, i learned a lot, and met a bunch of cool people (after weeding out the idiots). but if you're serious about being a tech in the automotive field go to a communtiy college and work while you go to school, i have a couple friends that have done that and started way ahead of where i did.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone at NTI?