Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

noise question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question noise question

Little bit of a noob here...just bought my first 99 trans am (ls1) and had a few questions about some of the noises that i have been hearing from what sounds like its coming from under my intake manifold. when i accelerate its a whirring/hissing sound. then when i pop the hood there a very faint clicking noise. i was wondering of these noises are a common occurence or if i should be worried about this car. any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-15-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is the power of the ls1 sucking air (jk).

You need to make sure all of your vacuum hoses are connect and there are no pin size holes in them if you car still has the egr and air (emissions control). Also if the person that owned it before you installed a LS6 intake they may not have installed it right and it just needs to reseated or at the most new gaskets to seal to heads. Those are the first things I would check for. Good luck. If you still can not figure out what is making the noise then just keep posting there are alot of people on this forum and we all work well together. Congrats on you 99 that is the same year as my bird.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Default another question

Hey thanks man ill go over the hoses carefully and check that out. I also noticed that i feel some vibrations coming through the gas pedal, more so when its cold but it doesn't go away entirely when it warms up. Could this be coming from a bad motor mount or suspension or something else entirely?
Old 12-16-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tasilver
It is the power of the ls1 sucking air (jk).

You need to make sure all of your vacuum hoses are connect and there are no pin size holes in them if you car still has the egr and air (emissions control). Also if the person that owned it before you installed a LS6 intake they may not have installed it right and it just needs to reseated or at the most new gaskets to seal to heads. Those are the first things I would check for. Good luck. If you still can not figure out what is making the noise then just keep posting there are alot of people on this forum and we all work well together. Congrats on you 99 that is the same year as my bird.
Right on. I never heard that type of noise from my WS6. They only sound was a little valve chatter on cold mornings before it warmed up.