Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 PCV is sucking more oil than my LS1 PCV system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS6 PCV is sucking more oil than my LS1 PCV system?

I put in an LS6 PCV valley cover during ny cam install, I also kept my catch can(a craftsman air compressor filter) to compare the diference, I drove my car to work for three days 150 miles to break in in my new cam, I,t seems I have more oil consumption with my ls6 PCV valleycover system than I did with the LS1 PCV system! I never even heard of this! I,m thinking of using my old PCV system in combonation with my LS6 PCV system to vent crank case pressure from mutible sources to slow down the venting air from the indivisual sources, Thus hopefully to reduce the sucking action of oil. But on the flip side, I can see possibly having more sources of oil consumtion and that would be bad. What do Yall think? has anyone ever tried this? I,m going to do some research and experement with it. I,ll keep you posted with the results.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: LS6 PCV is sucking more oil than my LS1 PCV system?

Good to know, please PM me as well, cause I think I have had problems with my LS1 PCV and i want to upgarde to the LS6
Old 06-26-2003, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

I think it would be pretty hard to suck oil through the LS6 pcv system. Getting oil through the little filter on the underside of the valley cover would be difficult. Could it be possible that you have a bad valve stem seal? That would cause oil to burned through the combustion camber. Just a thought. When I added the LS6 pcv system, I replaced all my hoses with clear hose so I can see any consumption going on, and I have been very happy with this setup.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would be pretty hard to suck oil through the LS6 pcv system. Getting oil through the little filter on the underside of the valley cover would be difficult. Could it be possible that you have a bad valve stem seal? That would cause oil to burned through the combustion camber. Just a thought. When I added the LS6 pcv system, I replaced all my hoses with clear hose so I can see any consumption going on, and I have been very happy with this setup.
Believe me there is still lots of oil getting in there with a LS6 PCV. I have the LS6 PCV with a MODIFIED Greddy catch can and I still get oil in the intake albiet much less. It is the extra RPMs from aftermarket cams that help suck more oil from the PCV.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please keep us updated , I'm having the SAME EXACT problem....

Did LS6 PCV conversion (new lines, new PCV valve, new lifter valley cover) after upgrading cam and heads... no catch can... first time taking the car out and opening her up it was disheartening... TONS of smoke pouring out the back... then I installed a catch can (same, Craftsman filter)and no more smoke but collected a good amount of oil in not many miles....
Old 06-26-2003, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I currently don't have a catch can installed because my lines seem pretty clean (I'm using clear hose to view this). I'm spinning the motor pretty high with my TR227/224, it seen 7000 rpms a couple of times.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know I'M sucking oil from the LS6 PCV because I have a craftsman air compressor filter in series with my PCV system in this order; LS6 valley cover going to PCV valve going to air compressor filter(where I visualy see the oil) to my LS6 intake. I'll let yall know how it turns out.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

I haven't noticed any oil consumption issues on my car, but I ordered the parts for the LS6 PCV anyway, just to make sure. Now I'm thinking that I might not should install it. Could it give me problems that I don't have now?
Old 06-26-2003, 11:50 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have high oil consumption (one quart every 1200 miles) mainly when I do a lot of hard cornering. I have two routes to work: one with constant tight curves and the other all straight aways. If I avoid the windy road, I have almost normal oil consumption. Apparently the oil gets thrown out into the valve covers (I like to corner hard.) I'm also planning on doing the LS6 PCV conversion soon with a cam swap.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would really like to knock out this oil consumtion problem due to the amount of oil I observed on my heads and pistons after I removed my heads due to dropping a lifter in the engine, I changed out the valve seals even though I dont think they were bad. I've put the craftsman air filter on around 8K miles after my header install and took the heads off at 13K miles so I believe alot of oil was still getting by the filter.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

[quote]
I think it would be pretty hard to suck oil through the LS6 pcv system. Getting oil through the little filter on the underside of the valley cover would be difficult. So I't would seem, I't seems like you would have much less oil splashing around under the valley cover to get sucked up in the filter but I'ts there .dam.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:58 AM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Well, I've never seen anybody have MORE consumption after converting, but maybe that is because you did the cam at the same time and its building more crankcase pressure? I dunno.

It *is* normal to still consume oil with the LS6 system, its just usually less than the LS1 setup consumes and its cheap.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:11 AM
TECH Junkie

I guess the catch can is the only sure fire way, I was gonna put my ls6 pcv system in soon as well. Maybe I need a catch can to go with it
Old 06-27-2003, 08:06 AM
TECH Veteran

I did the LS6 valley cover replacement with my head/cam swap....(3 weeks ago)

...I also installed a 2" PVC catch can made from parts I acquired from Home Depo.

Notg sure how much iol I am sucking into the system,,,,i have not driven the car that much 100-200 miles...

When i did the catch can, i did notice the back of the TB was wet with oil....

I also have clear lines from the PVC to the TB...

Old 06-28-2003, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I've never seen anybody have MORE consumption after converting, but maybe that is because you did the cam at the same time and its building more crankcase pressure? I dunno.

It *is* normal to still consume oil with the LS6 system, its just usually less than the LS1 setup consumes and its cheap.
I did not think of that, Good point!
Old 06-28-2003, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a similar problem with my LS1. 1 quart every 2000 miles or so. Some people say its NORMAL with LS1. They say its cylinder blowby but my plugs are always clean
Old 06-29-2003, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

I sell a lot of the LS6 conversion kits, and also build alot of motors with the setup. Results have been great, but I just read and article that stated GM had issues with some of the LS6 valley covers. The breather assembly was not sealed properly to the bottom of the cover, which allows the oil to get sucked in around the breather which increased the oil consumption. I would pull the valley cover off, seal off the bottom breather inlet, pressurize the breather fitting, and check for leaks.

Shaun (valvegod@aol.com)
Old 06-30-2003, 06:48 AM
Restricted User

Good info Shaun...
Old 06-30-2003, 07:33 AM
TECH Veteran

I did the LS6 valley cover replacement with my head/cam swap....(3 weeks ago)

...I also installed a 2" PVC catch can made from parts I acquired from Home Depo.

Notg sure how much iol I am sucking into the system,,,,i have not driven the car that much 100-200 miles...

When i did the catch can, i did notice the back of the TB was wet with oil....

I also have clear lines from the PVC to the TB...

I just drove over 100 miles this weekend....checked the catch can at the end of th trip NO OIL - NONE!
Old 06-30-2003, 10:33 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are two sources of oil consumption in an LS1: PCV, and weak ring tension. GM used the weak rings to decrease friction for better power and fuel economy. If your car is under warrenty, you can take in and they will put different rings in that have a scrapper edge shape.

In my past experiance, a big cam does increase crankcase pressure, and a lot of people have higher oil consumption after a cam upgrade.

Quick Reply: LS6 PCV is sucking more oil than my LS1 PCV system?