Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Removing Shift Knob (Safely)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing Shift **** (Safely)

My sister already asked what I wanted for Xmas and she went ahead and bought me a Hurst shift ****/ball for my Camaro, which is awesome.

I know install is simple as heck... unscrew the OEM ball and screw on the new one...

However, I was wondering how to do this safely, as I know they are on there very tight, and I don't want to twist the ball so hard trying to get it off that I twist the actual shaft/stick too hard which could hurt whatever it is connected to at the base of the shifter.

Any recommendations?

PS: I sure hope the aftermarket one will be able to screw on good and line up perfectly... last thing I want is the shift pattern icon on the **** to be crooked.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The factory one is on pretty tight.Theres really no other way to do this safely except to unscrew the **** the correct way which is counter-clockwise. It's on pretty tight but as long as you unscrew it the right way it will come off.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

saftey, the only thing to worry about is your knuckles and or dash area incase you slip off lol. Just make sure you leave it in a gear when you do it so the stick doesnt wiggle away on yeah hehe. It should take much more than 2 hands or maybe a rag and some pliers.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do it with the car warm. The really tight ones I wrap the **** with a towel and use large channel locks
Old 12-18-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess you could lift up the boot and put some vice grips on toward the bottom of the stick where it bolts on.

Quick Reply: Removing Shift Knob (Safely)