Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another TB Question: CFM?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 10:52 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Another TB Question: CFM?

Anyone happen to know the CFM rating on the stock LS1 Throttle Body? I found a webpage that says it's 950 CFM; just wondered it it could really be that high. If that's true, I don't see much need for a ported TB.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Another TB Question: CFM?

It can be as high as you like, if you're willing
to accept enough pressure drop. Second oldest
game in the specsmanship book.

It's just another case of mobetta, every bit of
increased MAP at the front is increased torque
out the back. Whether it makes sense on a dollar
basis depends on how much dollar it takes. I
spent like $40 for a truck core (kept the stock
TB for sentimental value) and already had the
epoxy, tools and spare time.

Personally, I'd love to see side-by-side flow
bench tests for stock & ported. One-sided tests
don't address all of the variabilities.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Another TB Question: CFM?

Anyone happen to know the CFM rating on the stock LS1 Throttle Body? I found a webpage that says it's 950 CFM; just wondered it could really be that high. If that's true, I don't see much need for a ported TB.
There's no real gains to be made from porting, just polish the **** out of it and take the edges off so the air flows with out turbulence. You might gain a few Hp. Most people that port are also changing the shape of the TB so it changes the airflow to a laminar flow and not a turbulent. The more laminar your air flow the better port velocity your going to get, and that's where your getting your gains. Total Engine Airflow ports for 100 and they’re not really making it bigger there changing the shape, they say 10 Hp, but I would wait for Vararam to come out with their TB. They totally change the design and are getting 23 RWHP. I want to see some one else with those dyno numbers before I believe it. They also said they just put there Tb on a 475 RWHP corvette and the TB jumped it to 518 RWHP. I hope there right. They’re also coming out with an intake.