Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 prep before install, been sitting 2+ yrs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 prep before install, been sitting 2+ yrs.

I just bought an 99' LS1 and T56 to go in my M3. It's been sitting in storage for over 2 years. 40k miles on combo at time of pull out.

Just wondering what I should do to prep the engine, upgrade etc. before the install.

So far I plan to get blueprinted oil pump (probably from Katech), ARP rod bolts, maybe a double roller timing set, front and rear main seal, valve stem seals too? Anything else? LS1 weak pionts?

Probably willl leave motor stock until the swap is complete and bugs worked out.

Going in a 98' M3, will be used for a street and road course car.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the engine was kept dry, You should be able to spray some oil into the cyl and turn it over by hand before trying to start it up.

As long as the engine is on a stand. I would drop the Oil Pan, change the Oil Ring for the pickup tube. Atlease put on a stock LS6 pump. and if you going to Cam it, do it now.

ARP Rod bolt as long as you have the pan off. New Seal are always a good thing.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:58 AM
Launching!

have the injectors cleaned
Old 12-19-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, good info.
Yea, I know I'll want to mod it, so I better start thinking about what cam to run, then that'll turn into a better set of heads too, lol.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lsxyj
have the injectors cleaned

This is a must. My motor sat for several years before I installed it. I went round and round trying to figure out a bad miss. 2 injectors were stuck shut. It's really easy to clean them yourself. Just get some alligator clips, wire and a battery. Apply 12v to open the injectors, spray carb cleaner into them, and blow them out with an air blower. Or send them off.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Is there a good way to store the engine if it is on an engine stand and not going to be in a car for a little while? I was thinking of spraying it down with some oil and covering it in plastic.. good or bad??
Old 12-20-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure what everyone else does.. but I would spray it with WD40 and use a plastic bag. Depending on how long it sat (years).. if it was a long time, I would break it down and re-lube the mains and rod bearings, dump some oil on down the valve valley on top of the cam and lifters before installing and starting the engine up.

I know people with project have left there engine sit installed for years and they have successfully started them, but those were SBC or BBC and was able to prime the engine before starting. Unlike these GEN III/IV, which makes it hard to do so without spinning the engine.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What if something like this was used? Could you use an electric pump to pump oil into the "in" port on this? Would that make it's way to the bearings?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-L...ayphotohosting
Old 12-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Launching!

If you are going to use the above part just for pre-lubing an engine, go to the junkyard and get the oil cooler lines from a LQ4 or LQ9. The truck engines had an engine oil cooler. You could use these to rig a pump for the engine. I don't know where you would get a pump to do this though. Maybe rig up a sbc pump in a bucket of oil?

Quick Reply: LS1 prep before install, been sitting 2+ yrs.