Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 + '79 Malibu = what needs to be done??

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 02:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 + '79 Malibu = what needs to be done??

Carbed, Cammed, Jugged LS1 and built Th350 trans.. I know I can buy a set of premade motor mounts for the swap, but who makes the best set and what are you guys using??? Also isn't there some clearancing on the cradle that has to be done for the oil pan?? I have a set of longtube fbody headers and I think I remember reading somewhere that they will work with a little bit of modifying. Is that true??

Basically I just want a short run down of what has to be done and what are the best/easiest ways to do it. Thanks in advance for the help!

--Matt
Old 12-20-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Several people i have seen are running motor mounts for an s10 ls1 swap. F-body manifolds i hear fit like a glove, only heard about the shorties though, dont know about long tubes, its deffinatly worth a shot.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

here's everything you need to know.

http://www.montecarloss.com/ls1montecarloss/
Old 12-20-2007, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

that gives me an idea

ls1 Caprice!
Old 12-20-2007, 11:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by cherryelky305
here's everything you need to know.

http://www.montecarloss.com/ls1montecarloss/
Thats very good information, but its way too much to read through. My setup is very simple.. Carbed ls1, th350.. no air, no power steering, etc.. I don't need to know how to make any of that work. I just need to know the best way to mount the engine and run the exhaust..

I was told that I can use a 5.3L oil pan and I won't have to notch the engine cradle.. I also read you can use fbody longtubes like the pacesetters and they will fit pretty easily. I don't want to make any home made motor mounts or anything I'd just rather buy a good set that is made for the swap.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would think that the 5.3l truck pan would hang down a bit to low. Would suggest using the F-Body or CTS-V pan.

Making the adapter plates is not that hard. You can find the template in the Sticky. If not you can find some for a cheap price on E-Bay.... As far as which style.. I would defer to the guys that have completed or ongoing sways for you model and year..
Cherryelk305.. what style adapter plate did you use ?.. (S&P or BRP). There are some many vendors selling adapter plates (S&P, BRP, ATS, Hooker, Trans-Dap, Edelbrock, etc), You have your choice (with a wide range of prices).

That link to Jobh B's site has some very good information, I had read it a few time, used the information and had e-mail him question before and during my project.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So read, everyone has done it differently. Follow one persons build and run with it...
Old 12-21-2007, 03:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLWN1
So read, everyone has done it differently. Follow one persons build and run with it...
Thats my point.. Everyone has done it differently including myself. I want to do it the easiest, quickest, cheapest way possible. Thats why I don't need to know how to make a street cruiser with all of the accessories and creature comforts.. I just want the basic info to get the motor in and bolted up and exhaust.. This car is gonna be used as a street/strip race car with no special accessories.. I was just curious as to which motor mounts were the best, which headers were the easiest to fit, and if there was anything else that needed to be chopped, sawed, welded, beat down, etc..
Old 12-21-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

usually easiest quickest dont go with cheapest. I used JohnB's mounts and pan, worked perfect for me, i was willing to pay a little for something that worked with my time frame.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

moroso pan, pickup, transdapt mounts, pacesetter f-body longtubes...
Old 01-07-2008, 11:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I manufacture both conversion plate mounts and the ls1 s-10 mounts. I have many customers that do it either way. The s-10 mount offers adjustablity from front to rear that some people love..... as for pans I carry the champ pans but there are many options available....

Quick Reply: LS1 + '79 Malibu = what needs to be done??