Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I need some clutch advice!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some clutch advice!

okay, i come home from seven months in iraq to michigan. cars been stored the whole time with a few startups and short drives. i cant put my into any gear, and the cluth wont come off the floor once i push it down, unless i manually pull it off the floor. I am thinking the pressure plate and clutch disc could possible be stuck together, possible mild condensation led to it freezing, or theres air in the clutch and it needs to be bled. i have the mityvac and gave it a try once already but with no luck. can i access the pressure plate and clutch disc through the bell housing or what? i just want to get this car going! thanks
Old 12-21-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

First thing you have to do is bleed the system until you get pedal pressure. If you can't, you have a hydraulics problem--leaking slave or master. You can't diagnose anything else until you have good pedal pressure.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I would recommend you doing if you indeed have air in the line:

If you have never messed with the fluid in your car at all, it's probably black, and needs to be flushed and replaced. I would recommend gravity bleeding it via the bleeder valve in the slave and continue to pour fresh fluid into the reservoir until it's flushed out. There will still be a small amount left in the master cylinder that will need to be flushed out as well. To do this, have the reservoir full, open the bleeder valve on the slave, have a buddy push the clutch in and hold it, then close the bleeder valve, and release the clutch. You'll need to do this several times to flush the old fluid out and allow the new fluid to enter the mc.

After all this THEN, I would do the mity vac process, and how I do that is....

Have a buddy in the car and with the mity vac fitting stuck down in the reservoir pumped it to 10 hg, and then have him SLOWLY push the pedal in and out. After a decent amount of slow pumps, release the pressure, make sure the reservoir is still full, and repeat another time or so for good measure.

I have had great results using Valvoline Synpower fluid. Also make sure to never let the fluid level in the reservoir get too low, or air will get back in the system and you'll have to start all over again. Why your down there wrap the stainless steel line with some heat reflective tape, some emissions hose, or something, and secure it as far away from the header as possible. This will keep the fluid from getting hot which breaks the fluid down faster causing poor clutch performance.

Good luck.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you're gonna bleed the entire system you might want to think about doing the drill mod too while you're at it, if you havn't already done it.

And thank you for your service
Old 12-21-2007, 12:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by intense3123
If you're gonna bleed the entire system you might want to think about doing the drill mod too while you're at it, if you havn't already done it.
Very good idea! I often forget to mention this. I guess to me it's something I expect to already been done. That was one of the very first things I did to my car
Old 12-21-2007, 02:44 AM
TECH Addict

Agree, flush it and bleed it and you should be OK.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Teching In

thanks guys, im gonna try and knock it out right now.

Quick Reply: I need some clutch advice!