Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed the JAAM Ram Air

Old 12-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed the JAAM Ram Air

Well I installed the JAAM ram air earlier on the car. The actual install was easy. The removing the baffles was hard. And why was it hard? Because some douche in Canada decided they should put so much glue on these baffles that they should never be removed. It took forever to get those out. I'm surprised part of the car didn't come with the glue when it finally broke loose. All the baffles were glued all the way around as opposed to my friend's WS6 who had a slight dab of glue on the corners. I didn't need rivets with this amount of glue...

I might need the thinner seals on mine, as to close the hood, I had to jump in the air and push down on it to get the latch to close. It was mentioned that some WS6s would need thinner seals in the instructions and they were freely sent as needed. So if it doesn't close better tomorrow after I give it some time to sit, I'll have those sent out. But either way, no big deal.

The install was easy, straightforward, and simple. It feels stronger when I punch it from around 60 definitely. Unfortunately, the tracks around here are closed so I can't say I got XXX gain yet. That'll have to wait til the track around here opens up.

I'll update once the tracks open up again. Just thought I'd post and say the kit seems great and installs easily. The factory baffles are evil and **** me off. Should anyone have the guys address that did the glue, I'd love to visit him, cover my baffles in super glue, and then throw them at him.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

cool man! thanks for posting. ive been wanting the JAAM since it came out. how fast did you get it up to?
Old 12-20-2007, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Subscribed. Love to see some real world gains... Keep us posted.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:07 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the feedback. Usually the seals will relax a bit after being on the car for a few days.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Should anyone have the guys address that did the glue, I'd love to visit him, cover my baffles in super glue, and then throw them at him.
I would say that poor man would be, at the very least, baffled!
Old 12-21-2007, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

I've been looking at that too. Any notice in the gas mileage?
Old 12-22-2007, 03:30 AM
On The Tree

For the front baffles.. I just happened to have a shower curtain rod in my garage, so i took the rubbery end and jammed it through. They came out in like 5 seconds for each one. Install was pretty easy for me as well, and I'm mechanically retarded. I haven't gotten on it enough to feel a difference since it's been rainy the past couple days and i've only driven maybe 10 miles total since install.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

once it dries up you should get on the highway and see how it responds around 60-70 in wot..im seriously curious about this
Old 12-22-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 01 WS6 had the same problem when I removed the baffles. It scared the shi* out of me. I thought I was going to crack the hood. I ended up having to steal some fingernail polish remover to loosen up the glue.

Please keep posted...I ahev been debating the last few weeks about buying the kit and am very interested in the gains.Thanks!
Old 12-22-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
I ended up having to steal some fingernail polish remover to loosen up the glue.
LIAR !!!!!. You know that was your polish remover ...LOL...
I will be ordering this kit soon...
Old 12-22-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98TADRIVER
I would say that poor man would be, at the very least, baffled!
lol what a knee slapper!
Old 12-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Launching!

any pics?
Old 12-29-2007, 07:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interested. Hey FastToys, will you be throwing another Group Purchase on these?
Old 12-29-2007, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Once some real world experiences and performance data has been posted, I think a group purchase would move several of these kits...
Old 12-30-2007, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Between Christmas and the constant rain, I haven't had the opportunity to check out gas mileage on this yet. Haven't even gotten through the tank yet to fill up and test that. What little I've gotten to actually play with it, it feels stronger from 60-90. I've not had it faster then that with this installed. Though I hope to remedy that shortly.

I will say, I use a paper filter and I drove around in the rain just to see if I could get any water in there and get the filter damp, but it was still dry after 10 miles of driving through a moderate downpour. Not saying it won't get wet, but it didn't in this case and that alleviated my fears of a soggy filter.

Also, the seals did finally shape themselves and now opening and closing the hood is like it used to be. I'll see if I can get some pics up here shortly. Christmas drained my cameras batteries.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:23 AM

We made a major improvement to the Jaam Ram Air Kit. We got together with a gasket manufacture and developed a custom seal for this application. The following is a list of the benefits to this new seal.

• Softer gasket material which creates a better seal between the ram air snorkels and the air box.
• No paper backing on seals, this makes installation easier
• The seals have a greater resistance to abrasion and tearing
• Higher quality
• The hood now closes with less force

All new kits will have these new improved seals.

Castratikon, if you send me an e-mail with your address, I will be happy to send a set of these new seals to you at no charge.

Jaam Engineering
Old 12-31-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
I ended up having to steal some fingernail polish remover to loosen up the glue.
The SMC panel adhesive used to adhere the baffles will not be affected at all by fingernail polish remover. It could soften the resin in the SMC composit its self though. This might allow the adhesive to tear loose from the soft hood surface.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:19 PM
FormerVendor

The first 6 people to order a JAAM WS6 ram air kit will get the kit for 178.50! You must put "JAAM SPECIAL" in the special instructions section of your online order or call us to receive the special.

Remember, it's just for the first 6 orders. Any orders after that will not be eligible and we will let you know if that happens.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2008, 02:30 PM
FormerVendor

3/6 sold!
Old 01-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Me and a friend installed the JAAM Ram Air on my '99 WS6 a month or 2 back and I noticed a substantial difference in the acceleration from 60-145, haven't tracked it yet so I don't know the numbers on it but I'm going to have to say it's definitely worth it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just installed the JAAM Ram Air