View Poll Results: Shoot CHL if you were chased to your car by man that is going to do you bodilyl harm
Shoot as soon as u can get it out
14.71%
Shoot as soon as I felt like I was in danger
52.94%
Shoot because he entered your car n a car jacking
20.59%
Shoot, but only after the fist fight was going down hill
2.94%
Pull gun just to intemidate
26.47%
wont shoot until you try fighting with him first
2.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

When can I use my CHL????

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 05:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default When can I use my CHL????

I was not drinking, and was the DD. I had a 6'6" man with a white jacket want to fight me for no reason
Old 12-22-2007, 05:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would suggest you consult you CHL handbook, or visit the state website, OR go take the refresher course brother. If you dont know, or some of the regs are not clear, ask a licensed teacher.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id rather shoot a bullet than a CHL :p
But yeah you can shoot him but you will probably go to jail. If you have a CHL you should have already done the class and should know this. What if he was running towards you for help? Unless you saw a weapon in his hand such as a knife or gun, then I wouldnt. The best thing to do is to lock yourself inside the car and call 911.

but here in oak cliff i would whip it out anyways
Old 12-22-2007, 05:39 AM
11 Second Club

I did and basicly it says right when I'm sure its a real threat, and he had others with him, and they followed me to my car/"castle" I have the right to use deadly force to defend myself.

Thats why I put this up I could have Stopped this person, and I just did not know I would have to think about any of that kinda **** tonight.

Thomas
Old 12-22-2007, 05:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

lay it on him, say that he said he had a gun and was going to kill you
Old 12-22-2007, 05:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dirty 30
lay it on him, say that he said he had a gun and was going to kill you
he said infront of others that he would **** me up. Then he said if I look at him again he would kill me!

I had no clue what was going on until he was in my face big 6'6" drunk.

Thomas
Old 12-22-2007, 05:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1LSWON
he said infront of others that he would **** me up. Then he said if I look at him again he would kill me!

I had no clue what was going on until he was in my face big 6'6" drunk.

Thomas
So he was drunk?
Old 12-22-2007, 05:51 AM
11 Second Club

So he was drunk?
yes he was very very drunk and a very large guy. I had no friends there except for girls and had no back. I was worried about myself and Jennifer he was out of control.

Thomas
Old 12-22-2007, 07:32 AM
Launching!

You didnt say anything to him like "hold my beer while I kiss your girl" did you?
Old 12-22-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry to hear about what happened to you and your girl man. Now I'm by no means trying to be a a$$ but if you need to make a post questioning whether you should or shouldn't have pulled your gun I don't think you need a chl.

I don't know what all is involved in getting a license but I'm sure you had to go thru some kind of extensive course before you passed and I would think there were scenarios that showed you when you were legally able to pull.

Again sorry about what happened.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:27 AM
11 Second Club

You CHL gives you the right to carry the weapon. The last resort if there is no other way out of a problem and you know you or a third person ARE going to suffer grave bodly injury can be to draw and STOP the attack. Notice I did not say FIRE. If your need is to stop an attack, and the moron sees that you have a weapon pointed at him, and you are telling him STOP or I will shoot you.....well its time to decide if shooting him is necessary to stop the attack. It is not for you to decide to use DEADLY FORCE. But if you shoot, then continue to fire till the attack has STOPPED. It will be up to the legal system to decide if you used deadly force. This is what you will say to the guys in blue. "I just wanted to stop the attack" With you making this post, it seems that you did not need your weapon after all. Chalk it up as a learning experance. Your primary responsibility in this type of situation is to flee. For what its worth.

Mec
Old 12-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Launching!

sorry about that bro, im takin my class next weekend. i couldnt kill someone unless they also had a weapon, but if alot of guys rolled up on me i would probabaly blow their legs off with the hp .45.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

but here in oak cliff i would whip it out anyways
Cause you have no choice...because theyll whip it out right back! better hope you survive or the other guy backs out! lol
Old 12-22-2007, 10:34 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

where did this happen?

If you are being physically threatened and fear harm could happen to you or your property, you can pull the gun and hopefully stop the act. If him seeing the gun isn't enough to stop him and he still attempts to harm you, might be time for bullets.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

Hope it was not my brother....
Old 12-22-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
where did this happen?

If you are being physically threatened and fear harm could happen to you or your property, you can pull the gun and hopefully stop the act. If him seeing the gun isn't enough to stop him and he still attempts to harm you, might be time for bullets.
Exactly. My first question is why were you carrying in a place where people were drinking? If it was a bar (51% rule I believe), you should not be carrying. I suggest a nice thorough read through the CHL handbook. Drawing your weapon is a serious thing, and if you do so, you had better make DAMNED sure that you're the first person calling the cops.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

I'm not actually asking (should I do _______). If we had been attacked or he pulled out the knife he had on his belt, or he attacked her or us getting in the car I would have had no choice (he was armed weather he was gona pull it out or not).

What I was really wondering was if anyone else has been in the situation where they have had to think Wow if this goes much further I may have too... I was scared thinking about it, and have never been in a situation where someone for no reason was making serious threats, and shoving me etc. He followed us we tried to move to another area etc., but no matter what we did he was there making a comments on how he'd **** her xyz ways. I put up the short version last night, but was not joking by thinking it was not out of the question that he would follow through. I again was not drinking and was having to drive Jeniffer, and her friend (don't remember) home. I really I had no idea what this guy and his drunk buddies were capable of. I glad I was able to get the **** out of there before he got to my car. It really sucked but because the girls were drinking they did not really get the situation that I and they may have been in. The way that man was acting at some point if he has not already he is going to hurt someone for no other reason than he got drunk and pissed.

Thomas

Last edited by 1LSWON; 12-22-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1LSWON
I did and basicly it says right when I'm sure its a real threat, and he had others with him, and they followed me to my car/"castle" I have the right to use deadly force to defend myself.

Thats why I put this up I could have Stopped this person, and I just did not know I would have to think about any of that kinda **** tonight.

Thomas
Hey man sorry about what happen its ashame there are douschebags like that in this world personally if that guy followed you to your car and you had a witness that you 100% trust (your girl or wife) and he was making threats I would have waited until I got in my car and just stayed in the car had the girl call the police while this guy was going off on you and told him the police are coming if he did not stop I would have shot his *** and would not have thought twice. I do not have a CHL but this is Texas (HB1815) if you were not drunk and you had a witness thats all you need to prove you were threatened . Did this dousche put his hands on you?
Old 12-22-2007, 01:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
where did this happen?

It was at Vito's Pub off of El Dorado and 45. Shitty area before that we were at the Cork Wine Bar. The parking lot was not well lit, and there was nothing in my favor in this situation or at least I hoped I would not have to use the peacemaker.

The only reason for it I can see for the situation is I was wearing a suit, and he was dressed like a thug, I came with to girls, and he came with 3 or 4 dudes.

Thomas
Old 12-22-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't carry a CHL, but when I was overseas we had an acronym that we would use to basically keep us within the rules of engagement that was easy to remember. Maybe it crosses over to CHL holders?

Its shout, show, shove, shoot.

Shout that you want to person to get back.

Show the person in question your weapon.

Shove the person with your weapon. Of course, we carried rifles so this was more applicable. I doubt you can really shove anybody off with a pistole.

Shoot the individual.

That should keep you within the limits.