Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need your help right now with header issue!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 06:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with header issue!

im in a really bad spot with the car. i installed the headers, and they are open for the minute because i was going to take it to the exhaust shop this morning. however, when i drive the car, it sounds and feels like its not firing on all cylinders when i drive it. my oil temp sensor is reporting "low" oil temp even though the oil is fresh mobil one.

does anyone know what could be causing this problem?

could it be as simple as spark plugs and wires? i have new both sitting here.

why is my oil temp sensor reporting "low", it has never done that before EVER.

i replaced the o2 sensors one for one(same side, same plug)... do you think i have them wrong, even though i put them in the same spot?

please help me out, the car is not a daily driver but i am worried about it and just dont want to see it hurt. i want a forged block, but not under these circumstances.

Last edited by red99ls1ta; 12-22-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:57 AM
Staging Lane

Did you disconnect the battery? When I installed my headers, the same thing happened. It didn't want to stay running. I had to turn the car off/on about 3 times, then everything was fine. Is the wire for the oil sender being burned by the headers??
Old 12-22-2007, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you crack a spark plug by any chance?
Old 12-22-2007, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mf2kta
Did you disconnect the battery? When I installed my headers, the same thing happened. It didn't want to stay running. I had to turn the car off/on about 3 times, then everything was fine. Is the wire for the oil sender being burned by the headers??
yes, i did disconnect the battery and i removed the alternator too.

i do not think the oil sender is being burned by the headers, there are no wires that are near it.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheLS1Kid
Did you crack a spark plug by any chance?

i do not think so, but i can not be sure. i am going to replace the spark plugs today along with the wires. right now i have new duralast wires from autozone in, and i have GMPP wires sitting on the table.

i also think i am going to put the car back in the air, and do my own exhaust fab up... i can get a 3" to 2.5 reducer from a muffler shop, and just bolt it on for the time being. i hope i can get this fixed.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure to check your plugs or replace if needed cause alot of people end up breaking them during this install. Also check your oil sending unit because when we did mine some how mine got pulled off and did the same thing.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blue98Z
Be sure to check your plugs or replace if needed cause alot of people end up breaking them during this install. Also check your oil sending unit because when we did mine some how mine got pulled off and did the same thing.

where would this be, and what does it look like? the car has 42.5k miles, i think i should just replace anyways? can you gap the NGK TR-6's or are they good to go out of the box?
Old 12-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Banned

You have an oil TEMPERATURE gauge?
A little more info and accurate info would help.
If you did not remove the spark plugs you probably cracked a few.
Did the check engine light come on, if it did scan it to see if it's got a misfire code.
If you've never been in a car with open headers it can take a while to get used to and sound like it's missing.
Did you disconnect the battery? if you did it has to relearn.
And with open headers you might get some reversion into the collector enough to make the O2 sensor read erratic.

Heres a pic of the oil pressure sender, not my pic, it's the black thing with the wire plug on top, more to the drivers side.

Last edited by 8a8mfh; 01-10-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
You have an oil TEMPERATURE gauge?
A little more info and accurate info would help.
If you did not remove the spark plugs you probably cracked a few.
Did the check engine light come on, if it did scan it to see if it's got a misfire code.
If you've never been in a car with open headers it can take a while to get used to and sound like it's missing.
Did you disconnect the battery? if you did it has to relearn.
And with open headers you might get some reversion into the collector enough to make the O2 sensor read erratic.
yes, the car is a 2001 Z06... it has factory oil temp and pressure sensors, coolant temp sensors, etc. i did not remove the spark plugs. i dropped the headers on them once or twice... they are probably shot. the check engine light is not on. i can not scan the car, my hp tuners is not here until wednesday.

i have been in a car with open headers before. my old trans am had longtubes with cutouts right on them. it was loud, but it sounded NOTHING like what it sounds like now.

i did disconnect teh battery. i also thought about the o2 sensors... i also hooked up the old sensors in the x pipe, even though nothing is connected to the x pipe. should i unplug them? i am talking about the rears. the car will be catless.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

i also do not think i hit the oil sensor, i was no where near that sensor.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Banned

Ah, I seen your user name and not the car in the sig.
I'd limp it to the exhaust shop, get that taken care of and work on the rest later.
I know my car runs like crap after the battery is disconnected, plus it's trying to relearn on open headers. You could disconnect the rear O2's anytime if it has no cats. The check engine light might not come on right away if you leave them but it will when you disconnect them.
I think it's the relearn and the plugs especially if you dropped the headers on them a few times.
When you get your HPTuners in you'll be able to find out exactly whats going on, and delete the O2 codes.
Not sure about the oil temp.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

the oil temp sensor i can live with. it has fresh mobile 1 oil and mobile 1 filter, i know its ok. i will change out the plugs and wires, and i am not going to drive it anymore. i am going to try to go to the exhaust shop and just get them to bend me a section of 2.5 piping to fit the 3 inch pipe. its only about 9 inches long, so they should just be able to make one.

i will be waiting on hp tuners.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

well, i pulled the plugs out... they are black as can be. not a single spot of non black space on the plugs. i put new tr-55 plugs gapped at .045 in and i am waiting for HP tuners to get here next week before i fire the car up again so i can maybe do a little tweeking.

does anyone have a tune for a c5 Z06 with just full exhaust? dont really know what to adjust without logging the car... but i dont want to log it if its gonna run like ****.

btw, two of the plugs were cracked. i would post pictures, but i cant find my transfer cable. they are just OMG black. must have dumped a LOT of fuel...

i put new GMPP wires on too, so hopefully that will fix the way its running. now to just get the pipes to make it quieter.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

ok here is an update, yes im still fighting the problem...

i installed new tr-55 plugs gapped at .045. new GMPP wires as well, all made sure that they are connected. i cranked the car, it fired up nice. idle was quieter then when it was misfiring, and sounded like it should have. however, i revved to check and see(only 1700rpms) and it was popping heavily above 1500rpms, like a loud backfire.

my oil temp is still reading "low"

also, i have a vette in case anyone is reading this, looking at my name and going wtf hes got an oil temp guage?