Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Fast Car Owners!Need some advise!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default California Fast Car Owners!Need some advise!

I have been going around and around about what route to take with my 01 WS6 Trans Am. My current mods are:Slp Lid,K&N Filter,Edelbrock Smag Legal shorties,SLP Loudmouth,Centerforce clutch setup,and lots of suspension parts.It is also a 6 speed car.

My problem is that I want alot of power(some see it as a problem.It is not always going to be a daily driver and as it is I only drive it after work.I have really been looking into a 454 lsx block from TSP and throwing some LS7 heads on it and maybe having a 500rwhp car. Or maybe going with the Magnacharger kit from LMP and having a little more power.Either way I run into the smae problem.SMOG! I dont know about computer tuning and what can be done to make it pass, but I do know that whatever exhaust I have will definatly not be SMOG legal, not that it would run dirty but just because californai law prohibits moving the cats from the stock location.

I have also thought of going with a 402 but am really loking for some input from drivers who have taken one of these routes.I understand if you dont want to post and would be fine with a PM.Thanks so much fellow motorheads.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha Ha your going tohave toi look for a dirty smog tech/shop that would pass you car no matter what. Ima asst service manager for a dealership and had to pay one of my techs to "PASS" my car and I have nointernals yet! Oh well have a house in Florida so going to register it there because no smog there. Just be a cali car with Florida plates

Oh yeah the CARB suxs!
Old 12-22-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Junkie

For that kind of power and smog legal, I would highly recommend a 402 and high flow cats. It is doable, but expensive. You may want to look at CARB approved blower kits from ATI and Vortech. The magnacharger is not legal on an F-Body currently, so that would fail the visual.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is smog legal btw with a 454 lsx with LS7 heads you should easily breach 550 RWHP with a good sized cam....
Old 12-30-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some good ideas...I may go with the 402 and some nice heads and im sure that would be enough for me. Its just my leadfoot that wants the LSX.Thanks guys.