Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Trying to build a system...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 01:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Trying to build a system...

So I have read over the stickies several times now and I am still having difficulty picking out what kinds of speakers and amps and other crap that I am going to need in replacing my worn out monsoon stuff. All my speakers rattle and I want to replace it all.

I have never built a stereo system that involved amps and subs before so I really have no clue what I am shopping for. I am very confident that I can install it, but picking out the right speakers, amps, deciding how to amp the speakers... I have no clue. A friend of mine suggested that I get some components for the doors that are about 120RMS. I cant find them.

Here is what I desire:
A new HU - probably an Alpine or Kenwood - this I can pick
New speakers all the way around
Loud and crisp volume
Deep rich bass - but just for me, not for the entire neighborhood.
Typically I listen to rock music and travel for a long time, my favorite EQ setting typically looks like a V, with more highs and bass with minimal mids.
*if a sub is needed then I will just get the MTX or Kee custom box that is already amped.

Is a nice clean/loud system capable of being assembled using the stock amp?
What RMS speakers should I be looking for? Components in the doors and something different in the back seats?
Old 12-23-2007, 03:24 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have all kinds of options available for your Camaro. If I can help let me know! I can also put together an entire package that includes everything you would need for installation as well!
Old 12-23-2007, 05:02 AM
TECH Addict

really & truly, you'd be better off replacing the entire system, amp & all

not that the monsoon amp is bad, but it could still be a lot better.

i personally run a Panasonic CD/MP3 player with a 6.5" Infinity component set in the front doors and a single 10" sub, powered by a 4-channel amp (75w x 2ch for the fronts, and the rear 2 channels are bridged to 200w x 1ch for the sub). i don't use any speakers in the rear sail panels or the rear hatch area.

if you go with a setup like this (with no speakers in the sail/hatch), you'll want a more powerful amp (75w+ per channel) and speakers that can handle the power....otherwise, the amount of volume you get out of them isn't enough (at least not for my tastes). i had a 50w x 4ch amp before, but when i switched it out for 75w x 4ch, it made a HUGE difference in output for the front speakers.

120w into the fronts would be freakin' awesome, if you can find the speakers that will handle that much power.

here are some component sets that are close to (or higher than) that power level (i'm sure there are more, but this was just a quick search over at Crutchfield):

Alpine SPR-17S (110w RMS)
Boston Acoustic Pro60 (125w RMS)
Polk Audio db6501 (100w RMS)
Polk Audio MMC6500 (125w RMS)
Polk Audio Signature Reference SR6500 (125w RMS)

plus, there's the options from Kee here that will handle 130w - 200w RMS

Last edited by 02Z28LS1; 12-23-2007 at 05:09 AM.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i suggest and alpine head unit. kenwood is not good. and i suggest just getting the whole package from kee audio. he'll make sure you get what you're looking for
Old 12-24-2007, 01:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sweet, well i think that it is best to consult f body people before you heed to any advice the dudes at best buy try to give you. When I am in the position I will get it all from Kee.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

good decision
Old 12-24-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

take it from a person whose worked at both best buy & Circuit City...and a couple of smaller custom shops...just go out to as many car audio shops that you can and just listen to the different types of speakers (both on and off of an amp), check out the different types of sub options you've got available to you. whatever YOU think sounds the best is the RIGHT system for you. oh, and always remember...the system will only work as good as the quality of the installation!!
Old 12-24-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kmgsix08
i suggest and alpine head unit. kenwood is not good. and i suggest just getting the whole package from kee audio. he'll make sure you get what you're looking for
kenwood is just as good as any other, depending on the specific model. the "regular" kenwood units are pretty much crap, but the excelon decks are awesome.....i used one for more than 4 years and never had a single problem with it.

i actually had more problems with both of my alpine units that i had before i got my kenwood excelon....both of my alpines completely died after only 2 years of use.