Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in Midyear Vette

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 in Midyear Vette

I started this project back in the summer of installing an LS1 & 4L60E in my 65 vette. Wound up with an aftermarket frame, 96 suspension, rack and pinion steering, drive by wire, just to name a few.
I have the body painted and bolted to the frame. Am presently working on the wiring, didigtal dash and A/C.
I want to use a push button starter system like on the newer cars. Anyone know how or who I need to contact?
Attached Thumbnails LS1 in Midyear Vette-ls1-place.jpg   LS1 in Midyear Vette-right-side-ls1.jpg  
Old 12-25-2007, 07:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nice build. I think Detroit Speed may have what your looking for.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Love the project. I'm starting an LS2 in my 68 convertible. I hope mine turns out as well as yours looks.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garys 68
Love the project. I'm starting an LS2 in my 68 convertible. I hope mine turns out as well as yours looks.
I don't want to hear LS2--- that's what I wanted, but settled for the LS1.
O -well, if it dosen't perform like it should, I may go back to the bank.
Good luke.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I actually started looking at LS1 takeouts, then realized the LS2, with 50 more hp was not much more. I then discovered the 440hp carbed version of the LS2. And now I'm waiting for the carbed LS3, 520hp to be released.
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...nes-W73C2.aspx
Old 12-26-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Who did you get the frame from? Jameson and SRIII I thought used round tubing on the frame rails. Love the project
Old 12-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 93Polo
Who did you get the frame from? Jameson and SRIII I thought used round tubing on the frame rails. Love the project
Got the frame from Street Shop over in Athens,AL. Tray does very good work. No problems with the fit, everything bolted up as it should.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Nice ride!

I too started out going the LS1 route in my 63 SWC, and then lucked into an LS2 setup! I wish my project was moving along as quickly as yours has, I'm 3 years into mine now and am just about to turn the corner onto the home stretch (with some help). I went with the C5 suspension setup rather than the C4. Unfortunately, this did not go as well as yours simply bolting up. As you can see in the pics (link below) "Bubba" got to one of my rear suspension pickup points and needs to be redone so they are level (minor detail when building a suspension). I also need to spend a fair amount of time with the grinder cleaning up some of the welds since it looks like my (former) builder barfed with his welder. They should be structurally sound, just nappy looking.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...c4#post1500527

Glad to see more of the midyears getting the LSx treatment!

Cheers

Jim
Old 12-27-2007, 06:39 PM
Teching In

I can see why you have been at the conversion 3 years, that's a lot of work. I see you found a booster that would clear the coils. I quit looking and ordered a Hydo-boost.
It looks good, always did like 63's (my first vette was a 63). The LS engine looks at home in the engine bay. How much do you you like finishing?
Plans are to have mine going this spring. Am retired so I can work on it as long as my wife will let me.
Phil
Old 12-28-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vettehead
Got the frame from Street Shop over in Athens,AL. Tray does very good work. No problems with the fit, everything bolted up as it should.
I have heard good things out of Street Shop.

Dad has a '67 Vert he wercked and broke the frame on over 30 years ago. If we ever have the money to rebuild it, I'd love to build something like your car or Jim's car.

Hope to see both of you at some Vette meets
Old 12-28-2007, 08:06 PM
Teching In

I still have to finish the wet sanding to get the orange peel out of it (it should have come back with a Sunkist label on it). It is supposed to go to another "competent" shop next weekend to have the rear suspension points sorted out along with the carpet and headliner installed.

I hope to have it running in 3-6 months with doing as much as I can myself to save a couple bucks (wife and kids are cutting into the time I have to dedicate to it).

I feel like I am on the home stretch....but it's now down to the detail work which takes time and patients (and after getting/repo-ing the car back as a basketcase I am running short on patients...boohoo...) Nothing that a couple frosty malted beverages and staring at the car longingly for a couple hours can't fix...

Gotta get it running, cause in my humble opinion it is/will be the coolest thing on the planet..

Originally Posted by vettehead
I can see why you have been at the conversion 3 years, that's a lot of work. I see you found a booster that would clear the coils. I quit looking and ordered a Hydo-boost.
It looks good, always did like 63's (my first vette was a 63). The LS engine looks at home in the engine bay. How much do you you like finishing?
Plans are to have mine going this spring. Am retired so I can work on it as long as my wife will let me.
Phil