Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARP head stud torque with iron block

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 05:25 AM
Resident Grump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARP head stud torque with iron block

Arp list the torque of their stud at 65ftlb using their lube which is supplyed with the kit . Problem is this figure is for the aluminum block which has a greater expansion rate than iron. When using the iron go to 73ftlb to get the same clamping force. It's important to use a good assy lube on the threads to get accurate readings.

I learned this thru trial and error running large doses of nitrous and lifting heads a couple of times.

Plus I had a little help from ARP tech department also.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: ARP head stud torque with iron block

Joe, ya tryin to make a constructive post? I knew ya had it in ya. See ya at Steele in a few hours. Is the POS bananab gonna be there?
Old 06-29-2003, 09:45 AM
Resident Grump

When I call bs bs I think that's constructive.

I won't be making it to Steele... My mom fell last night so I'm going to be with her.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Joe. I'm getting some for my motor.
Do you happen to know where to get these at a reasonable price? ($240 is not reasonable)
Old 06-30-2003, 05:40 PM
Resident Grump

Thanks Joe. I'm getting some for my motor.
Do you happen to know where to get these at a reasonable price? ($240 is not reasonable)
Call Paul at Thunder Racing... he can help you out.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:52 PM
FormerVendor

Joe, ya didnt miss much Sunday. Between the headwind, LACK of track prep, imports ******* up what track prep there was, and the 2070 DA we were racing in, times werent too impressive. I actually had to drop my tire pressure to 8.5 on ET Drags to hook, needless to say it trashed my ET/mph

Hope your moms OK. Cya around soon. Wont be at Steele though, that place has gone to ****, more-so than it ever was.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:37 PM
Sponsor

Always torque to the the specs of the fastener. You are torquing to a specific yield strength of the bolt/stud. The material of the block/head does not affect the yield strength of the fastener.

Oy yeah, we sell the LS1 Head stud kit for $209.95 (hex head nut) and $234.95 (12pt head nut).

Old 07-02-2003, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Good info Joe. BTW, I have gone much higher with no negative consequences
Old 07-02-2003, 07:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Are ARE studs torque-to-yield?
Old 07-02-2003, 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

Always torque to the the specs of the fastener. You are torquing to a specific yield strength of the bolt/stud. The material of the block/head does not affect the yield strength of the fastener.

It may not affect the yield strength of the fastener itself but ARP specifically gives different torque values for aluminum and iron in their instructions because of the different expansion rates.

[/quote]
Old 07-02-2003, 09:42 AM
TECH Veteran

The different expansion rates will result in different max yeild specs on the fastener at operating temps. The overall recomended yeild on the fastener has not changed and should still be followed. That does not mean the Tqs are the same for different materials...unless they are going to stay at constant temps with no thermal expansion.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:39 AM
Sponsor

O.K. this is a good question and common misconception so I will attempt to make this as clear as possible.

ARP Bolts are not torque to yield like the factory GM bolts. Torque to yield is referring to the yield strength of the fastener.

When a bolt or stud is tightened, it stretches. Ideally when the tension is released the fastener will snap back into its original form.

A properly tightened bolt is one that is stretched in such a way that it acts like a very ridged spring pulling mating surfaces together.

When a bolt is stretched to its yield point, it no longer goes back to its original form. A torque to yield fastener is stretched to its yield point, hence the reason it needs to be replaced and not reused.

The torque specs given for ARP bolts and studs are designed to provide maximum clamping force without stretching past the yield point. Generally speaking this is about 75% of the yield strength of the fastener.

It must also be understood that every application is unique and the optimum tightening torque for each application has been determined by careful experimentation.

Keep in mind that the specifications given by ARP are for use with the supplied moly lubricant. If the lubricant on a bolt and nut combination is changed, the tightening torque value must be altered to achieve the desired amount of bolt tension. The use of oil, or even no lubricant at all require a higher torque reading to achive the same amount of clamping force or bolt stretch.

So to answer your question, ARP bolts are not torque to yield.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:12 AM
Resident Grump

Oy yeah, we sell the LS1 Head stud kit for $209.95 (hex head nut) and $234.95 (12pt head nut).

Well you need to talk to the people at ARP and get you some better info. At 65ftlb I can lift the head at 73ftlb I do not lift the head and with the price of a Felpro 1041 head gasket I think I'll just do it my way.

Quick Reply: ARP head stud torque with iron block