Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where did you connect your autometer tach & is it working? LS1

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question where did you connect your autometer tach & is it working? LS1

I have been reading up on where to connect my autometer tach and it seems to be hit and miss on it working. so where did you hook it up and what are your results?

thanks
chris
Old 12-26-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

can't remember which wire....AUTOMETER has a HELP/ASSISTANCE # on the back of box.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 99 LS1...Im pretty sure its hooked to the #10 pin...whire wire. Its the tach signal wire. Cant remember which PCM connector it was on (red or blue)... And now that I think about it, I may have grabbed it at one of the smaller plugs (blue or white). Basically anywhere that the tach signal gets sent. Its used in a couple different circuits if I recall correctly.

Either way...my tach works perfectly. Make sure its set to 4cyl mode. Then, before going completely crazy, double and tripple check your grounds, power, signal wires to the tach, as well as their connections to the car. And I dont mean just look at them and see they are there and figure they are ok. Get a meter and test everything out. Wiggle the wires with the tester on them to see if you have a random, movement caused short.

If all else fails, give autometer a call.

J.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea pin 10 which is a white wire.

To get my autometer to work... I had to run a switched 12volt wire(so its hot when the car is running) with a 480ohm resistor and spliced it into the pin 10 white wire to get a strong enough signal for 4cyl mode. Works great now.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

YUP...I remember now..had trouble at first because we had it in 8cyl mode...called A.Meter and they said 4 cyl mode...pretty weird.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

flipped the switches under the little orange sticker to 4cyl mode, white tach signal wire and it works like a charm.. wish my battery voltage gauge worked.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

people have problems using an autometer tach?

its not rocket science guys. switched power, illumination, a couple grounds, and the signal wire from the ECU. make sure its in 4cyl mode, done.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

at my age anything w/o a carb. is rocket science-lol
i have been printing out all these post so when i fire up my chevelle it will help me track down some problems (solutions)
you guys are rocket scientists!
thanks
Old 12-27-2007, 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

some Autometers dont have a switch, they have wires that you have to cut (or not cut) according to your application. So if you cant find a switch, dont panic.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Huh? What autometer gauges require you to cut wires to change their settings???? Older ones?

SatisTraction, Did you get it sorted out? If not..give us more details on what "hit or miss" means as far as it working...

J.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my MSD window switch for nitrous required wires to be cut, little red and blue loops to change to 6 or 4 cyl

Last edited by 67RSCamaroVette; 12-27-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kamin
people have problems using an autometer tach?

its not rocket science guys. switched power, illumination, a couple grounds, and the signal wire from the ECU. make sure its in 4cyl mode, done.
Lets drop your attitude. Its been hit and miss with many people. From a tight budget build to builds that total well over 100grand IE Steves infamous "Penny".

Some times the ecu doesn't send a strong enough signal for not just autometer gauges but for every gauge on the market. So the 480ohm switched 12volt source has to get spliced into the tach signal from the ecu to make the signal stronger.

So before you jump to conclusions and think of yourself as a ******* super hero, think before you speak.

And yes, all of the older autometer tachs have 1 brown and 1 orange wire that looks like a loop from the backside. I can't remember which wire you cut to make 4cyl/6cyl
Old 12-27-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1_chevelle
And yes, all of the older autometer tachs have 1 brown and 1 orange wire that looks like a loop from the backside. I can't remember which wire you cut to make 4cyl/6cyl

Huh...Never knew that. Learn something new...

I also never heard of the switched 12v + 480ohm trick either... That sounds like a reasonable solution. But why would random LS1 PCMs not be able to work on an aftermarket tach?? I mean, obviously if that trick works, then it works. Just seems weird is all. But its definetly good to know!

J.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Huh...Never knew that. Learn something new...

I also never heard of the switched 12v + 480ohm trick either... That sounds like a reasonable solution. But why would random LS1 PCMs not be able to work on an aftermarket tach?? I mean, obviously if that trick works, then it works. Just seems weird is all. But its definetly good to know!

J.

Its a very good question as to why. I'll give an example. When I first had my harness done by a shop that is well known, my buddy sent his harness and ecu down with mine. We plugged everything in. He is running new autometers and I am running Defi gauges. His tach signal works great, and I got nothing. So I tried a stewart warner and a autometer to no avail.

After months of searching, a came across the switched 12 volt source and 480ohm resistor and it did the trick. No idea why some computers throw a weak tach signal, I just know that "it works" haha
Old 12-27-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

I believe the tach output from the PCM (meant to feed the cruise control module, not a tach) is 5V at the peaks. That's enough to trigger some tachs but not others. Adding the resistor to +12V pulls up the voltage high enough to be detected by the tach. The exact value of resistor need will depend on the internal resistance of the tach and PCM and the sensitivity of the tach.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why does it need to be in 4cyl mode? maybe thats why mine only reads 300rpm lol
Old 12-27-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rodder
I believe the tach output from the PCM (meant to feed the cruise control module, not a tach) is 5V at the peaks.

Yeah but it doesnt just go to the cruise unit. It also sends the tach signal to the tach iteself. I think thats one of the few gauges that doesnt rely on the serial data alone for its info...right?? Or am I mistaken. I remember finding white tach output wires in a few places when I was sifting through my harness.

It still doesnt make much sense to me... I would think that most aftermarket gauges would use the power input to "amplify" the signal so that it can read it. But Im sure I dont know all the inner workings of newer elec. tachs. haha. So Im probably just blowin smoke.

Still interesting why it works with one PCM but not another from the same year/model car.

J.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Regular

thanks for the help. i have not fired mine off yet so I may be good to go. I have been waiting 10 weeks for Ricks Hot rod shop to build my gas tank.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4malibu
why does it need to be in 4cyl mode? maybe thats why mine only reads 300rpm lol
For whatever reason, GM programmed these computers by default to output a tach signal similar to what a traditional tach would consider a four-cylinder signal and not an eight-cylinder signal. There is a setting in the computer that can be changed if you must use an eight-cylinder tach, though.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Yeah but it doesnt just go to the cruise unit. It also sends the tach signal to the tach iteself. I think thats one of the few gauges that doesnt rely on the serial data alone for its info...right?? Or am I mistaken. I remember finding white tach output wires in a few places when I was sifting through my harness.

It still doesnt make much sense to me... I would think that most aftermarket gauges would use the power input to "amplify" the signal so that it can read it. But Im sure I dont know all the inner workings of newer elec. tachs. haha. So Im probably just blowin smoke.

Still interesting why it works with one PCM but not another from the same year/model car.

J.
Thats my thoughts. To me a 300 dollar tach should have the brains to tell if it needs to steal some juice from its 12volt source in order to amplify enough to make the tach work properly.

However I probably just gave an idea to some company that is going to make millions on it now.

Quick Reply: where did you connect your autometer tach & is it working? LS1