Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Adjuster said it's a full repaint - lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adjuster said it's a full repaint - lots of questions

Looks like the TA's going to end up getting a full repaint - but I have a TON of questions. I have never had a car go in for a paint job before, so Im really not sure what I should be looking for when I go in and talk to them about painting the car.

What are some of the more general things that I should be looking for when I go and talk to them about getting the car re-painted?

Also, I don't think that the amount that they said that its going to cost ( or what they are sending out for a check ) is going to cover it. What should a paint job cost when their talking about taking it completely apart? The guy that came out today had this long list of things that came up to just under 37oo for the total inc. tax. Dont decent paint jobs cost more than that?

Damn guys, Im totally lost, and want to make sure that this gets done right the first time - not looking to pocket $$ on the deal just to cut a few corners and end up w/ crap for paint.

ALSO: Any shops in the PSR that you can recommend please let me know !

TIA. :help:
Old 12-26-2007, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

$3700??? That's a great paint job right there...

Hell, you could even get a decent paint job for about $1000.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is what I was thinking. I had a guy do an 87 Shelby Lancer I had out on the Olympic Penn. and it was 1200 bucks. It looked better than new.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sexasomniac

I think you are stoned out of my mind.

Knowing what REALLY goes into a GOOD paint job I would agree it is a little light at $3,700.

They will cover the over runs just keep in touch with them and get the paint hsop to stay on top of them

BTW a Decent paint job ten years ago was over five grand
Old 12-27-2007, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

I'm stoned out of YOUR mind? Haha, nice.

Anyways, I just know you get what you pay for as far as the paint itself to all the prep work. I'm not an expert; still learning myself.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I could see $3700 covering just paint alone, with no other body work. But I wouldn't be surprised if it cost a little more than that.

I had my 72 GMC painted back in 99. They had to redo the rockers, cab supports, and cab corners, welded in all of the trim holes, install a rear roll pan and a few other things. Cost just over $4100 back then. Of course that was in KS too, where min. wage was $4.75 at the time.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:19 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

3700 isnt that much for a paint job at all. Really nice paint jobs are 5000+ easily.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:27 AM
TECH Resident

ya ill agree, when i had my ta re shot just the front end for a good job was about 3k.. was a metallic color though
Old 12-27-2007, 03:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Zeke had his formula repainted a couple years ago and I seem to recall him saying it ended up over the $5k mark.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Banned

I got a quote from a reputable shop down here and just to spray it was $2500. Body work, sanding and prep was not included in that price. It will easily top $5000 if they do all of that as well.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Ask if they are going to sand out all rock chips first.
Ask if it is an OEM color or one that is an aftermarket replacement. (It can be a shade off if they don't have the OEM mix part numbers).
Ask what kind of clear they are using - some are softer and lighter than original which isn't a bad thing...

It doesn't take much to remove the panels and tape off for a shoot though I'd say that is a paint job without any full sanding. You could have a door with rock chips *under* the paint which looks like crap - we've got a CTV in the bay now where insurance said to shoot the hood but not sand. Looks like total crap and its black.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Default Painting Blues & Dog Fur Rugs

Originally Posted by Crisisman
Zeke had his formula repainted a couple years ago and I seem to recall him saying it ended up over the $5k mark.
Crisis - I have been talking to Zeke on AIM for a while and conversing about this which is why I thought that 37oo total out the door was kinda low. I was talking to him about his Formula specifically and you are correct about the total being + 5K. I I remember correctly, it was a bit higher than that when it was all said and done.

Here are some pics of the damage - which makes me still want to cry, and skin a couple Mini Aussies:

I will be calling around today / tomorrow from the list that the adjuster gave me. He seemed really cool, and suggested a couple on there that he would take his own car to.

I believe that he did include the time for filling / sanding, as it's listed there at 8 hours "Rpr FEATHER AND FILL SCRATCHES AND BLOCK SAND AS NESC." On the totals it's listed as 23.3 hrs for Body labor ( which Im assuming includes removal and replacement of parts ) and 32.1 hours of paint labor.

GEARHEAD - Good questions to ask; thank you.

Im happy that they are taking care of it, but hot damn if I didnt have to do it to begin w/.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

try to keep in mind, that's what insurance adjusters are quoting you from one of THEIR paint shops...

if you find somewhere else that you prefer, it's about 50/50 on what they'll cover, but in the end you'll probably be happier.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

32 hours of paint labor sounds a little high, thats almost 4 days of just painting???? Some shops will allow you to do some of the prep work yourself to help with the cost ie. disassembly and masking.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

Also a quote is just that. A QUOTE...
It doesn't mean that that will be the final price of the job, if it ends up going over that mark, then what the shop does is, send the insurance company a bill that will cover the rest.

I know at least for when my car went into the shop, thats the way it was, they quoted me 2900.00 and it ended up being 3700.00. I did not have to pay a dime of it.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

I had a 91 Buick Lesabre that was parked and got hit my dad's friend one night backing of the driveway and he dented the door and screwed up the front quarter panel and my insurance company fixed it for the tune of $3700. I am NO EXPERT by any means but it sounds a little low and remember that is just a QUOTE!
Old 12-27-2007, 12:24 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sexasomniac

Geez, I guess I got ROYALLY hosed on my Formula, then. It cost more than TWICE that. It was well over $5K, in fact it was over $8K... but I also had some body work done as well, and some replacement parts.

$3700 would get you a great crappy paint job (i.e., just mask it and paint without taking anything apart), but to do it right and make it look like new would probably cost you a little more than that.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
Geez, I guess I got ROYALLY hosed on my Formula, then. It cost more than TWICE that. It was well over $5K, in fact it was over $8K... but I also had some body work done as well, and some replacement parts.

$3700 would get you a great crappy paint job (i.e., just mask it and paint without taking anything apart), but to do it right and make it look like new would probably cost you a little more than that.
I wouldn't say you got hosed the car looks really nice.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mcaanda
I will be calling around today / tomorrow from the list that the adjuster gave me. He seemed really cool, and suggested a couple on there that he would take his own car to.

I believe that he did include the time for filling / sanding, as it's listed there at 8 hours "Rpr FEATHER AND FILL SCRATCHES AND BLOCK SAND AS NESC." On the totals it's listed as 23.3 hrs for Body labor ( which Im assuming includes removal and replacement of parts )
that is 12 hours to remove all lights, badges, mirrors, bumpers, loosen tubs then mask off. Hood will be taken off.
Then another 12 hours to put it back together once its painted.

and 32.1 hours of paint labor.
Sand the hood and possible back spoiler but can't really see from your pictures. Block sanding is done by hand, they just hit the rock chips and skim the body to lower the current paint thickness taking off the clearcoat. Part of paint process time is cure time since it has to sit indoors and use shop space. After paint, hand block any dirt in clear coat, cut and polish, back to assemble.
GEARHEAD - Good questions to ask; thank you.

Im happy that they are taking care of it, but hot damn if I didnt have to do it to begin w/.
I forgot. Ask two people there what they would say it would take to look like new. The owner and painter. They've been around long enough to know what it takes and most have done their own cars.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
I think you are stoned out of my mind.

Knowing what REALLY goes into a GOOD paint job I would agree it is a little light at $3,700.

They will cover the over runs just keep in touch with them and get the paint hsop to stay on top of them

BTW a Decent paint job ten years ago was over five grand
I know for a fact that a good paint job on the C5's run 6k to 8k, been there done that.
Robert