Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Got the Pacestters

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just Got the Pacestters

-I know you guys have probably heard this a million time but....
Can someone who has installed pacestter long tubes give me some advice. Was it really difficult? I dont really want to pay labor for someone to put them in for me. Can I get them in without lifting the engine and stuff? Thank you

-Jake
Old 12-27-2007, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would use a search just type in pacesetter install and you will get over a hundred pages. I will be installing my pacesetters along with the ORY soon here. Definetly try a search and you will get more info then you can ask for
Goodluck and I dont think its that hard but I cant say for sure its just time consumeing
Old 12-27-2007, 12:52 AM
Launching!

lemee try to remember..need to remove starter for sure...dedicate atleast 3 days for the install..took me n my friend 2 days to do it..have alot of patience..remove spark plugs and wires before anything..and install them back after the header installation is finished.. use GM EXHUAST MANIFOLD GASKETS...DONT GO WITH PAPER...THEY WILL FAIL ON YOU IN DUE TIME..i learned the hard way :\...pretty much it on my behalf..anyone else go inputs?
Old 12-27-2007, 01:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Heres a good link that should answer alot of your questions along with some reviews

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/520845-mod-guide-induction-exhaust-please-read-before-posting.html
Old 12-27-2007, 02:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i didnt have to remove the starter but i did have to take off the drivers side motor mount and let the engine lower a little. but here is some advise i learned the hard way... DONT USE PACESETTER ORY!! it bangs the floorboard and my subframe connector under hard acceleration when the motor torques.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slowjoe99
i didnt have to remove the starter but i did have to take off the drivers side motor mount and let the engine lower a little. but here is some advise i learned the hard way... DONT USE PACESETTER ORY!! it bangs the floorboard and my subframe connector under hard acceleration when the motor torques.
Did you install new motor mounts during the install? From what ive read if you would of done the poly mounts you would not have the banging under hard accelleration. I cant tell you from personal experience but everyone that has done new motor mounts never say anything bad about banging
Old 12-27-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its not hard to do. You shouldnt have to remove anything. Make sure you use the good gaskets and I would change the spark plugs while you are at it. With the headers off.. It is smart to remove the plugs and also replace them. If you have EGR get ready for cuts and bruises all over your hands.

Have a friend help... Makes all the difference.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

all i had to do was grind the casting tab of the drivers side. remember to raise the car as much as possible. its not hard at all!
Old 12-27-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

i just did my'n last weekend..i didnt remove any sparkplugs..i didnt have to remove the starter..and i didnt have to grind anything. I just took the steering knuckle off on the drivers side and the header went right in. the passenger side was even easier. No lie it took me and my friend probably 1.5-2 hours total to have the old manifolds off, and the pacesetters on. Its not hard at all..just have a little patience..and also if you have gear wrenches they help a ton. Maybe i just got really lucky, i dont really know..but it wasnt nearly as hard as some people made it out to be..good luck man.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:53 AM
On The Tree

i just did mine last week with a couple of friends..took us about 6-7 hours..make sure you have alot of patience..we only lifted the car from the front and worked like that..its a long process but its worth it
Old 12-28-2007, 03:37 AM
12 Second Club

Headers are really easy to put in, just somewhat time consuming. I can get mine out in a couple hours now that I know what's involved. I would never pay someone to do headers, it's too easy. Put the car up high on jackstands, grab some beer, and make a weekend out of it. Oh...and DO THE DAMN MOTOR MOUNTS WHILE THE HEADERS ARE OUT OF THE WAY!!!
Old 12-28-2007, 04:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a sawzall to cut off that casting tab No need to remove starter. Both sides slide right in when you get it high enough.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

only issues i had with mine were getting the old bolts off otherwise easy install.
hust ensure the car is high enough off the ground to get the collector perpendicular with the ground and all will be fine
grab some friends grab some beer and you should be fine
Old 12-28-2007, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

The pacesetter's almost fall into place especially the passenger side. It's too easy. The driver side you'll have to wiggle them a little to get them in but you definitely don't have to remove the starter or anything like that. I put mine in by myself in less than two hours. Remove your manifolds, plugs, and the passenger side coil packs and it's a breeze from there. Good luck!