View Full Version : Maf help

Big Bird WS6
12-27-2007, 03:32 PM
what is the highest reading mass air flow sensor for gm ls based cars. i don't want to run speed dens. so any help would be nice. thanks

Benner
12-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Why don't you want to run Speed Density. I love mine.

Scott(382-$T$)
12-27-2007, 03:38 PM
I love my SD also...car runs and idles the best it has ever has.

Big Bird WS6
12-27-2007, 03:45 PM
cuase when i drive from my house in iowa. up in colordo down to cali. i will mess with it the whole time. i like the climate control. sorry

Benner
12-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Mess with what the whole time??? and what are you talking about liking the climate control??

Speed Density has nothing to do with climate control or (messing with it???)

ChevyChad
12-27-2007, 04:14 PM
He thinks the tune needs to be adjusted based on what climate he's in. Someone put him under the impression that SD can't calculate for that...

But to answer the original question, the restriction is not in the MAF itself, it is in the limits of your computer...

Benner
12-27-2007, 04:19 PM
But to answer the original question, the restriction is not in the MAF itself, it is in the limits of your computer...

True but the stock MAF does have limits that I believe are set lower than the PCM's.

SPeed Density may have been rough years ago to climate changes but in recent years the tuning abilities have made it a very good tuning alternative where MAF tuning is nonsufficient

ChevyChad
12-27-2007, 05:02 PM
True but the stock MAF does have limits that I believe are set lower than the PCM's.

True, but only slightly. If you max out the MAF, odds are you'll max out the computer's limit as well. I doubt anyone is in that small window.

SPeed Density may have been rough years ago to climate changes but in recent years the tuning abilities have made it a very good tuning alternative where MAF tuning is nonsufficient

:werd:

HUNTER02SS
12-27-2007, 07:30 PM
True, but only slightly. If you max out the MAF, odds are you'll max out the computer's limit as well. I doubt anyone is in that small window.

:werd:

You can max out the MAF and the stock computer will be able to handle almost anything you want it to with the good tuner.
My car still uses stock computer and a stock MAF!:D
Drive's good and wouldn't have it any other way.

bboyferal
12-27-2007, 09:11 PM
You can max out the MAF and the stock computer will be able to handle almost anything you want it to with the good tuner.

+1

I'm also on the stock MAF and stock computer...

ninetres
12-27-2007, 10:12 PM

you're making 1000k on a maf tune???? WTF? Jesus.

ChevyChad
12-28-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm not saying tuning can't be done at all once the MAF is maxed out, it certainly can. I too am still on the stock MAF and PCM. However, it is maxed out at like 4500RPM and after that, the fuel that is added into the tune is based solely on RPM- it doesn't have a clue as to how much air is exactly entering the engine after the MAF is maxed out. It can be done, but it is a bandaid approach.

engineermike
12-28-2007, 10:42 AM
...However, it is maxed out at like 4500RPM and after that, the fuel that is added into the tune is based solely on RPM- it doesn't have a clue as to how much air is exactly entering the engine after the MAF is maxed out. It can be done, but it is a bandaid approach.

I ran mine like that for years, pulling up to 146 in the quarter. I'm in the process of switching to a 2 bar SD tune on the LT1 PCM and I like it much better.

Mike

INTMD8
12-28-2007, 10:49 AM
I'm not saying tuning can't be done at all once the MAF is maxed out, it certainly can. I too am still on the stock MAF and PCM. However, it is maxed out at like 4500RPM and after that, the fuel that is added into the tune is based solely on RPM- it doesn't have a clue as to how much air is exactly entering the engine after the MAF is maxed out. It can be done, but it is a bandaid approach.

I agree that it's an unsafe approach. Fueling based on maxed out sensors (where there is no fuel compensation for actual measured airflow) is rather crude.

Big Bird WS6
12-28-2007, 04:35 PM

who did your tune? and what maf sensor you running? stock or like new zo6 or what?

HUNTER02SS
12-28-2007, 04:52 PM
who did your tune? and what maf sensor you running? stock or like new zo6 or what?

I use a local guy here in Georgia. I have the stock MAF.:D