Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Deluxe or complete install kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Deluxe or complete install kit?

Im looking at Thunder Racing's website and it here is the breakdown of the parts:

Basic Kit: Includes pinion shims, crush sleeve, pinion seal & cover gasket

Complete Kit: Includes pinion shims, carrier shims, crush sleeve, pinion seal, pinion nut, ring gear bolts, cover gasket, and pinion & carrier bearings

It looks like the complete kit has (in addition to the basic kit) carrier shims, pinion nut, ring gear bolts, pinion bearings and carrier bearings. My car is an 02 with only 12k miles on it and it wont be seeing much track time (maybe 2-3 trips to the track a year). Will i need the additional parts that come with the complete kit, or will the basic kit do? Also, will a solid pinion spacer be necessary in place of the crush sleeve? Thanks for your help
Old 12-27-2007, 03:36 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Raise
Im looking at Thunder Racing's website and it here is the breakdown of the parts:

Basic Kit: Includes pinion shims, crush sleeve, pinion seal & cover gasket

Complete Kit: Includes pinion shims, carrier shims, crush sleeve, pinion seal, pinion nut, ring gear bolts, cover gasket, and pinion & carrier bearings

It looks like the complete kit has (in addition to the basic kit) carrier shims, pinion nut, ring gear bolts, pinion bearings and carrier bearings. My car is an 02 with only 12k miles on it and it wont be seeing much track time (maybe 2-3 trips to the track a year). Will i need the additional parts that come with the complete kit, or will the basic kit do? Also, will a solid pinion spacer be necessary in place of the crush sleeve? Thanks for your help

With the milage on your car a full Master Kit should not be necessary. As long as you can pull the pinion bearing without damaging it. Let me know and we would be happy to help you. Check out our website for great deals. We can also price match and beat any price on same product.

Jeff
Old 12-27-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

well, i wasnt even considering a master install kit. i was trying to choose between the basic and the complete. thanks
Old 12-27-2007, 04:10 PM
FormerVendor

well, i wasnt even considering a master install kit. i was trying to choose between the basic and the complete. thanks
Yeah I know, go with the basic install kit. We sell it for $45.00.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

are you saying i wont need the carrier shims, pinion nut, ring gear bolts, pinion carrier or pinion bearings? how bout the solid pinion spacer?
Old 12-28-2007, 10:21 AM
FormerVendor

are you saying i wont need the carrier shims, pinion nut, ring gear bolts, pinion carrier or pinion bearings? how bout the solid pinion spacer?
Correct! If you only have 12K miles on you rcar the bearings should be still good. The big question is can you get the bearings pulled off without damaging them in order to reuse. We have a special puller and a 20 ton press, but not everyone has that in there garage.

Our Install Kit comes with Pinion & Carrier Shims, Pinion Seal, Crush Sleeve, Gear Compound, Loctite, and Brush. We have the Solid Spacer Upgrade if you want. Definately a better way to go but will take longer in the setup of your pinion preload.

Jeff
Old 12-28-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

i bought the complete kit. thanks