View Full Version : laser eye surgery question

shep28
12-27-2007, 10:24 PM
I went to a third laser eye surgery place to get an exam. These people are worse than care sales people. I would like to know if any of you know anything about laser eye surgery. I have done some research, but would like more opinions/suggestions. I think I am going to go with TLC Laser/ Lasik. I can get the gold/mid-level lasik package for $1200 per eye.

93Hawk
12-28-2007, 12:21 AM
If you hate contacts or glasses, to me lasik is the best investment you can ever make in your life. Just make sure you go to a somebody who's been around for a long time and knows what they're doing. I got mine done a year and a half ago, paid 1700/eye, but that came with full lifetime warranty. Now, my eyes are 15/20 and I've never been happier.

THE PUNSSHR
12-28-2007, 01:03 AM
My mom got Lasik a few years back. She is really happy with, well worth it. Like said before, go to a well known person.

BLK85
12-28-2007, 09:10 AM
I got mine done a year and a half ago, paid 1700/eye, but that came with full lifetime warranty.

So what if you have complications or if your vision begins to suck again they will cover it? Ive never heard of warrentys on Medical Procedures.

I want to get mine done. I hope to have it done in late 2008 early 2009 sometime.

97ssmokem
12-28-2007, 09:15 AM
I got mine done at TLC in San Antonio, they gave me a life time warranty. Minus physical trauma. The whole procedure took 25 minutes. I went from 20/90, 20/75 to 20/15 in both and got rid of my stigmatism.

Pro Stock John
12-28-2007, 09:19 AM
My wife had it done in 2002, worked great. I am thinking of having it done in the spring, I am getting very tired of contacts, been wearing them for 20 yrs.

jmm98LS1
12-28-2007, 10:07 AM
I had Lasik done in '01. Cost me $2250 per eye then, sounds like it's come down quite a bit. When I did it, they had free adjustments for 1 yr after the initial procedure. I had to have mine adjusted once after 3 months. I went from 20/350 to 20/15. In the last two years, I've regressed slightly. I'm now 20/20 in my right eye and 20/25 in the left with a touch of astigmatism. I only really notice it on cloudy/overcast days and at night.

pengu
12-28-2007, 03:34 PM
as with any surgery definitally look at the person's credentials and experience. I have not had any actual experience with lasik but it seems like they let ya buy/rent the equipment and take a seminar and release ya to be a lasik expert...

Make sure your vision has not changed within the last few years...you do not want to get the surgery only to have it get worse again...

z28MP
12-29-2007, 11:41 PM
I got PRK thanks to the army. Are you real active in sports or do you have little kids? If so to either of those LASIK wouldnt be good. With LASIK they make a flap with your cornea. With sports or whatever if someone pokes you in the eye that flap can become uncovered and you have to go back in put the flap back in place. With PRK they pretty much take like a mini motorized tooth brush and brush away part of ur cornea and shoot the laser in. thats pretty much the best way that I can describe both LASIK and PRK

TexasVortexx
12-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Shep28, if you get the procedure done post back and let us know how it went.

Tudds
12-30-2007, 01:35 PM
I want to get the surgery but the one visit I went to the guy was acting like I salesman, I said seriously all sales aside... what do you think and he repeated what he said word for word in the same tone

JustAnIlluzion
12-30-2007, 01:58 PM
I had a classmate in college a few yrs ago that had it done, and he had to use eye drops alot because of something that went wrong. He went back to get it fixed however he still used drops alot. Seemed more of an inconvience then wearing contacts at the time.

pengu
12-30-2007, 03:56 PM
I think for lasik and perhaps the other surgeries it is standard to need eyedrops and wear glasses outside for the following year... not too bad considering that you dont have to deal with maintaining contacts and glasses for the rest of your life...

DERTY
12-30-2007, 06:44 PM
I had a PRK 10 years ago. PRK was the method prior to LASIK. I never regret it one day. My vision to this day is 20/20 from what was about 20/400 at the time. No glare or any of the symptoms that are commonly listed. For PRK you're usually down for the count for 3 days. LASIK, you're down for about a day as I understand it. No eyedrops or anything.

I would suggest going to an Opthamologist instead of a drive through clinic. At least that's what I did back then. The Dr. that performed my PRK had done over 3000 of them at the time I had mine. It was a lot pricier, but it was the only route that I trusted. The corner store clinic approach is too scary IMHO to trust your eyes to unless you get a solid referral from a reputable doctor.

z28MP
12-31-2007, 12:28 PM
You use eye drops for prk for like 3 months. The eye drops are like steriod drops to help your eye heal faster. If you dont use the drops like your supposed to you take the risk of your eye never healing like it should. Also you pretty much have to wear sunglasses when outside or wherever it is bright at. Personally for me I really only had to wear them for a few weeks but I was on profile to wear them for 2 months. PRK you cant really see for about 5 days everything is blurry. During that 5 days all you pretty much wanna do is just sleep cuz you cant really see shit. I would say get PRK the trouble is worth it in the long run. With surgeries there is always a really small chance of it not working for you . But the odds of it happening are not that significant though . Get either one and you wont regret it.

JimMueller
12-31-2007, 12:57 PM
I had it done Feb '07, for $1600/eye IIRC. I went to an inexpensive local alternative, LasikPlus. I qualified for their wavefront mapping procedure. The doctor I went to claims to have performend >53000 excimer laser procedures, and also had it performed on himself. I had 20/15 vision the following morning and at every checkup since then. But things often look hazey around bright objects. Glare isn't too bad without sunglasses on overcast days, but bad in sunlight. Contrast discrimination could be better. Halos/glare at night has gotten worse. They're hesitant to approve me for a touch-up for fear it'll make things worse. But they do have the lifetime guarantee also... but if they won't approve the surgery, what good does it do?

Co-worker #2: Had it done ~8yrs ago at the 'expensive' local doctor. No issues. I interviewed with this place first, but it really felt like a marketing ploy with hot saleswomen.

His wife: Had it done last February at LasikPlus. I think she had PRK. Something about it took such a long time for one eye to heal that if she had done both simultaneously she'd have been out of work for weeks. I don't know if she's had the other eye completed.

Her boss had it done last March at LasikPlus. She claims no complications.

Co-worker #2: He had it done last March and claims no complications. He's also a college basketball referee.

PontiacFan
12-31-2007, 11:38 PM
Had it done back in 2000 or so, ..., Best money I've ever spent.
Had it done by a well-renowned surgeon in Lincoln,NE, Aziz Anis.
As mentioned above, find someone well-respected. Ask others in your area who've had it done, who they'd recommend.
If you don't like the 'salesman', don't do it there.

Jays00ss
01-01-2008, 04:29 PM
I am going in tomorrow at 8 am to have mine done. I can't wait!!! $1800 for both eyes with lifetime enhancements at Denvers best doctor Icon, ( a lot of my buddys went there and swear buy him) . They have done over 60,000 procedures and have been at the same place in Denver since 1991.

Useing my companys flex pay to pay for it so its all tax deductable.

Jays00ss
01-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Man what a difference. 3 days after the surgery and I am at 20/15 in both eyes. Procedure did not hurt at all and was over in about 20 minutes. I would highly recomend it to anyone.

On a side note, my wife went in the day after my procedure and had hers done. Didn't think they were going to be able to because she is almost blind. Hers was a lot different than mine and they had to use a 2 step procedure and use 2 different machines. But the next day at her followup, 16 hours after her surgery she was allready at 20/30 in both eyes. Amazing.

MetallicaMatt
01-06-2008, 10:06 PM
I was told that they "sight" in one eye for long distance, and another for close up, is this true?

If so, this would totally screw up my shooting career. Switching constantly from open sights to a scope, glare...I'm a little nervous

I really want this done, but I cannot risk loosing my ability to shoot

DERTY
01-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Not at all true, at least not in my case. They sighted both of mine in for perfect. After one week I was 20/15 in one, 20/20 in the other. One month after surgery I was 20/15 in both. After a year they stabilized at 20/20 each. They tend to fluctuate for the first year is what I was told (all within unnoticable ranges). Over time your vision will naturally drift as a function of aging and you might need a tuneup in 20 years. You'll never magically go back to 20/400 suddenly. It's pretty much like being born with perfect vision.

With any surgical procedure, it's certainly possible to have issues. It's a risk. In my case the risk was far outweighed by the benefits. My procedure was not without difficulty. I have some bad light sensitivity problems. The light under the microscope is brighter than the sun and it hurt like hell. I was able to grit my way through it, but it was hard on the doc that's for sure! After that the three days off was no vacation, my eyes hurt like hell for three days and I had to hang blankets over my blinds to make the room pitch black. I think with Lasik the recovery time is a day or so faster and a little less painless than a PRK was.

In the end it's worth it. I'm glad I did it.

ShisHKbob
01-07-2008, 04:25 AM
There's Lasik and Micro-Lasik. They take measurements of your cornea as well as the thickness of your eye and compare it to charts to see which procedure you need. Lasik is basically where when they decided what/how to adjust your eye, then there's 'flesh' there for error (for lack of better term).
With Micro-Lasik, it's more expensive because they have to be much more exact because if they cut too much (due to you having a thin eye) then there's more risk for long term side effects. From what the explained to me is that Micro Lasik has a higher rate of patients coming in for a 2nd operation since first one they cut/laz very cautiously.

I was blind beforehand and only need standard Lasik. Procedure was wild as you feel and see things that you don't normally come across (duh, right? lol). IMEDIATELY you notice a difference, when they place the flap they cut above your cornea back, everything is in focus but with a bit of a haze, which eventually goes away when eyes heal.
I never got to go to my 2 week checkup as I got deployed to Kuwait for OIF. The 7 months I spent in the deserts of the mideast never gave me any problems. I made sure i kept my sunglasses close by as well as eyedrops. I opted to get my lower tear ducts plugged with silicon plugs to help keep my eyes moist..made a world of difference!

I've had a bunch of family and friends ask me about it and the #1 holdback is obviously money. All I ever tell anyone is that when you get it done you would've gladly paid 10x's the amount for it. I paid $3k for mine and have had awesome vision ever since!

Just find a good, reputable doctor and just pay what they ask....it's soooo worth it!