Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Larger Incon Turbo Options, I know, I know

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Larger Incon Turbo Options, I know, I know

So here's the background on how I've come upon the turbo kit... it was onfire's old kit, sold it to someone, who sold it to someone, who now sold it to me. I'm not going out to drag race this kit, it'll be for street use so I'm pretty sure that regardless of what options I do or don't have, I'll be happy with it.

That being said, I've read about every post in the search function that is available for these incon kits. I've got a real good idea of what is available and possible, but thought that I'd bring this back up again and see if anything has changed or if anyone has any real firm information. Thank you in advance. I'm real excited to get this kit on my car!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

biggest turbos are gt-3071r's.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

right on you live in SB. Would be cool to see your ride when the kit is on it.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:29 PM
FormerVendor

You are putting those things on a 427??
Old 12-29-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

that is what I was thinking. Way too much motor for those puny turbos.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

I"m not going to the track and got a good deal on the motor. Thought that with more realistic power levels for the street, I'd be ok with the kit. Didn't onfire run it on a 428? Like I said, street use only.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Not sure what onfire ran it on, but those turbos are meant for factory cubes and will become a restriction on anything larger even with only street use. Since you have the motor and its brand new you should look into selling it and buying a forged 347 and you would have money in your pocket for adding onto your fuel system and other misc expenses. I highly doubt the kit was used with 428 cubic inches. I have never heard of anyone going over 383 cubes with that kit. You could get some good money for the motor you have.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

So would you hold onto say an STS kit and just up the turbo size for a motor of that size? Maybe to a T76 or something?
Old 12-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by anarchy99
biggest turbos are gt-3071r's.
apologies for

what kind of power do the kits make on these turbos? a/r? stock cubes?
Old 12-29-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LastBlack02SS
So would you hold onto say an STS kit and just up the turbo size for a motor of that size? Maybe to a T76 or something?
A t76 is still to small for that 427, you'd need bare minimum a pt88 or S80, along those lines.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

What power levels are you talking for something like that? I'm not looking for the 1k rwhp level. I figure I can't hook but would like some #'s right at 750 ish range. I figure that's not unrealistic nor is it excessive for someone not using this at the track at all.

So basically, Can't i get that out of the Incon kit?

If not, and I stay STS, what size would I need to go with at the butt?
Old 12-29-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the smartest thing you could do is sell the 427 for a forged 347. The incon kit on a 347 would make the #'s you want and it would be cheaper.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Do that or keep the 427 and sell the incon kit and buy the APS twin kit and upgrade the turbos to the biggest that can fit and you will put down 750 all day long on pump gas.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:37 PM
FormerVendor

Neither a stock-piped STS kit or the incon kit will work WELL with that motor. It's just a horrible mismatch. That huge motor needs a huge turbo. You have 3 small turbos now (1STS 2incon); pick something that they will actually work properly with and you will be MUCH happier, even for the street only.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

Thank you guys for the help. Now help me understand this, and using the incon kit as an example... The incon kit is capable of 750 ish on a relatively stock cubed motor. By going to larger cubes, apparently you lose efficiency in addition to restriction. Basically the impression I was under was that a larger cube motor would allow for less restriction with a given turbo setup, allowing for less boost pressure to achieve the same airflow and thus power levels. So if someone could point me in the direction of some turbo tech or explain to me where this loss in power and ability to provide the larger cube motor at a given powerlevel or airflow occurs, I would greatly appreciate it. I've looked at garrett's website but their formatting is all screwed up and I'm having trouble understanding it a little bit, but I'm by all means up for reading and learning.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Coal Mining Director

GT2871R's is what LPE uses on their base 427TT package. They are a compromise but do work. As long as you keep the boost down to 16-17 psi the car will make 710-750 rwhp and will run high nines at +140 with the 427. (Once you figure out how to hook that much torque) LPE went around 9.6 at 145mph at a sea level track. I went 9.9 at 141 at 4000FT DA. If you install it correctly and have a well built engine, it's a great kit that keeps AC. Obviously a T25 turbine housing is small...the AR helps...it's all a compromise...I went to GT35R's with T3's and at 18psi of boost it went 9.2 at 146 at 3800ft DA....both with 428ci....In a perfect world you would want T4 turbines,etc,etc,,,,but with the space confines of an fbod, the Incon kit works pretty good....if you go with big cubes the area under the curve is massive and you can shift around 6200 rpm to take advantage of the torque curve....I would use the 427, shift early and have fun....If you want a max effort race car the Incon kit will be wayyyyyyy too small.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

Onfire, thanks for the response. Seeing how this is your old kit I may need to send you a few messages and what not, i hope you don't mind. So the upgraded turbos that incon had in their stage 3 kits, the gt3071r's were they?, were they one offs for incon from garrett? Is my best bet for upgrading to pray that someone for some strange reason wants to sell their upgraded turbos?

Like i said, street car only. I figured for the price to up the turbo and change things around on my current sts kit, this would be a good compromise that would be fun and a little upgrade. I suppose this thread should have been a "what should I do" rather than a larger incon options thread, lol. I'm still interested to see what the options are if there is any new news about them, and also would love to hear peoples opinions on what I should do with the setup. Money is money, but nothing is forever... so I open to suggestions people have. I figure I've only got 4k or less to spend on an FI kit if i went with a different setup and sold this stuff. So I'm guessing there isn't much I can go different, right? And giving about a 9k budget for the longblock, this seemed like a good route. There's the budget, about 13k for longblock and power adder total. I've got some saving to do and selling of old stuff to get everything else needed (upgraded fuel system if needed, hopefully not needed but BS3 down the road, some added suspension stuff)

Last edited by LastBlack02SS; 12-29-2007 at 04:16 PM. Reason: added something
Old 12-29-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

The easiest would have been to upgrade the current sts kit to a t76 and get a forged 347 but I don't really like the sts kit but I am biased b/c I haven't had one, lol.

I can't comment on the incon kit but I do remember I did alomst buy one this summer and remember what that kit consisted of, seems like allot of crap? It will get the job done though.

On the 427 it will be to small, even upgraded turbo's but for YOU, it might just do. Not sure you will get 700rwhp but for the street thats almost too much anyways. You should be able to get 650 I'd imagine but again not familiar with the incon kit.

On your budget you don't have allot of options being you supposedly got a great deal on the 427 and already ahve it along with the incon kit, upgrade the turbo's and see what it does. It might be enough for YOU but boost is addictive and you may want more later. Especially with a motor thats not even breathing yet.

For fuel you'll need atleast dual intank pumps with a return system and 60# injectors using the evap for a return and should suppport up to 750rwhp.

Maybe you should sell the turbo kit and put that money towards some killer heads and get a custom cam and make 550-600rwhp na with a 200+ of juice. That would be a bad *** setup.

Actually a buddy of mine jsut did exactly this after switching from a 408 and turbo making 750rwhp+ through a A4 and 9''. He likes the setup allot more and couldn't be happier. Everyone is different and either way nothing is cheap. Especially FI, good luck and have fun either way.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

Websy, thanks for the input. I'm really not a fan of nitrous purely because I know I'm the type of person that would never get it filled up; I like having something there all the time. $8500 for the LME 427 with afr 225's is just a great deal i thought (maybe I'm wrong). Here's the specs:

9.5:1 compression
ls7 block
callies compstar 4340 4.0" stroke
wiseco 4.135" forged -25cc dished pistons
callies compstar 6.125 h beam rods w/arp bolts
cam motion 226/221 @ .050", .575" .550" on a 115LS in @ 111 ICL
AFR 225's w/ti retainers
62cc chambers

I figured I couldn't beat it. I know how people who haven't had the huge power levels get caught up in the #'s game, and I'm doing that a little bit, but I am looking for that street car only setup. It's not my DD so I can have it be a bit wilder, but it won't see the track much if at all.

As far as the STS goes, i figured for the price to upgrade the rear mount turbo to something larger, vs. what i could get out of the incons including some more ground clearance, over k member, etc. it was a good trade off (paid $3500 for the incon setup).

I just got a level 5 4l80e w/transbrake from FLT, and I've got $ saved up for a rear, so thats what will complete this setup. It seems like upgrading these turbos or getting the existing upgraded turbos is impossible?
Old 12-29-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

your Incon kit will work fine for you... You already said it's not a race car, it's a street car. If you want to upgrade the incon's, call blouch turbo, as they are the one's that bore out the turbos to the 3071 size. It will run in the price range of $1,800.00 though. I love my incon kit and it's awesome on the street and also for the track. I know you said you read all the incon threads before in the search function, but there are some very good ones out there that have tons of good info.

Quick Reply: Larger Incon Turbo Options, I know, I know