Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic converter for CA smog

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Catalytic converter for CA smog

Hey guys. What catalytic converter has shown good performance in the sniffer test (I live in California). I've been thinking of the carsound 94106. It flows pretty well, and is reasonably compact, and not too expensive. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for the metal spun cats, but I haven't heard of anyone getting through the sniffer check with them.

Any advice?
Old 12-31-2007, 10:56 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I don't know how they will do on the sniffer, but I can make a couple of observations. First, you do know that you will fail visual with them if they are not in the stock location, right? Second, I have them on my car and I do get a little more "smell" than with stock cats. I tend to think they don't clean up the exhaust quite as well as stock.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^what cats are you using? revGTO is right now, you will fail visual since they arn't in the stock local...but if you have a friend or person you always take your car to for inspection im sure they can "look" at it and pass it....you could look at slp cats
Old 12-31-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I expect to have to find a lenient smog check station. Nothing beyond shorties and stock cats is going to come close to meeting the letter of the law. I know a lot of guys that get waved through the visual as long as they pass the sniffer test. That's pretty much what I'm counting on... or just putting the stock system back on when it comes time to register again. I'm just looking for an aftermarket cat that I know will pass the sniffer part. I like the flow of the spun metallic cats, but I've never heard of anyone taking them to the smog check station. I'm pretty sure a traditional Carsound or Catco will pass, but they don't flow as well as the metallic cat.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the metallic cats' burn hotter therefore will help burn cleaner. I've smelled cars where the set-ups were nearly identical, except for cats', and the metallic cats' helped that car to smell less. I have Magnaflow cats' on my car and it definately smells different than with the manifolds and OEM cats'.