Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbed lq4/lq9 into a '97 T/A.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carbed lq4/lq9 into a '97 T/A.

Well, i have done a search and didn't really find anything specific to this combo. i figured using a carb may simplify the swap but i am pretty much ignorant as far as the ecu and wiring go. i would like to have this motor carbed (cheap nitrous kits, and tuning by way of screwdriver is cheaper then by way of lap top). i know that there is a control box offered to fire the coils but i am not sure if i should use it on my '97. I would like to still use my gauges. it seems the more i learn about this swap, the less i really know. at first i thought it would be a straight forward swap with the carburator set up. now i am just getting more confused. can someone shed any light on this particular swap?
Old 12-30-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your factory gauges will work as long as you use the factory senders. You can get the controller, sold by MSD, and map the timing curve you want with a laptop. Edelbrock sells a timing box, thats made by MSD, but with it you have to use chips to change the timing. If you don't want to run the timing controller, you will have to get a new front cover that is made for a distributor. Unfortunatly, it uses a blue oval(ford) distributor. If you go with the timing box, get the one sold by MSD. I tried the one sold by Edelbrock and had terrible luck. The timing was either too fast or too slow. I finally just went back to injection. Injection is actually easy to setup. You can send the harness and pcm to wait4meperformance and have it modified. When it comes back, you only have 6 or 8 wires to connect and the wiring is complete. The pcm will be already tuned for the setup, also.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have a PM..
Old 12-30-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

thanks so far on the info, i figured the gauges with sending units will be fine, my biggest worry is the tachometer and the ses light. after a little more learning i may go back to injection, i am even trying to learn tig welding so i can one day make my own intakes. the distributor drive may be another idea too, and since i am fine with a ford 9", i would be okay with a ford distributor.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the lq4/lq9 harness is like an LS1, the ses light will be easy. There will be one wire for it coming from the harness that will send a ground signal to a small 12V lamp. I usually just pick up a cheap lamp from Autozone.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

LS1MCSS, PM sent

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carbed lq4/lq9 into a '97 T/A.