Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need Wiring Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Wiring Help

Alright, so I've been searching through threads to try and find the info I need, but I haven't had much luck.

What I'm trying to do is splice into the factory wiring harness (that plugs into the Delco amp which sits in the passenger side of the hatch) to use that is the source for my leads going into my aftermarket amp. I'm doing this because I want to use the factory head unit for the time being. The factory head unit doesn't have RCA outs, but from what I've read it outputs in high level.

I've got the harness unattached from the amp, and the amp removed, but I'm trying to figure out which color wires I need to tap into to route into my aftermarket amp. Is there a pin read out for this connector?

I've used the color chart from the sticky in this forum but I don't know if that reads the same as the connector leading into the amp.

Also, are there any crossovers between the headunit and the amp, or between the amp and the speakers? Or are they located in the Delco amp...?

Last edited by Amoretti; 12-31-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bump. Anyone? I'm trying to get this done today.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

I dont think you even need to splice into the monsoon amp..

I have the stock HU w/ the monsoon amp, along with a SSL 1500w amp to a 10' Infinity sub in the stealth box.

You can purchase the RCA adapter at walmart for about 17 dollars. I hooked the amp up to that and spliced the correct wires from the adapter to the back of the HU.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

Oh, and if that doesnt help, all the wire info and stuff are on https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/612644-monsoon-faq.html , although I didnt even need it for what I did
Old 12-31-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dimitri-
Oh, and if that doesnt help, all the wire info and stuff are on https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612644 , although I didnt even need it for what I did

Excellent. Thats exactly what I was looking for. I can't believe I missed it in the FAQ lol. Thanks man.

Does anybody know the amount/locations of crossovers in the factory wiring? I'm trying to re-use as much factory wiring as possible to save myself from re-running wire throughout the car (if its already there).

I plan on installing a headunit in the future, and running RCA cables out of that, but I figure if I can just tap into the factory amp wiring for now that should suffice without requiring me pulling the headunit out and running wires through that way.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:49 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

All of the signal filtering (except for the tweeters in Firebirds) is done in the Monsoon amp - there are no external crossovers.

You still need a line out converter even if you tap into the amp connector because it's speaker level signal there. If you're just adding a sub then you'll need to leave the factory amp connected because it powers all the speakers (except the tweeters in a Firebird).

If you're not just adding a sub - what on earth are you doing? Using an aftermarket amp with the OEM head unit is just going to provide more amplification for that distortion machine. It will just make the bad sound louder. Better to leave the factory amp (which is actually not bad) and replace the head unit.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
If you're not just adding a sub - what on earth are you doing? Using an aftermarket amp with the OEM head unit is just going to provide more amplification for that distortion machine. It will just make the bad sound louder. Better to leave the factory amp (which is actually not bad) and replace the head unit.
I'm running the factory head unit until I have more money to buy a decent head unit. I figured I'd keep it simple by using the harness in the back to tap into the factory wires. When I upgrade the headunit, I'll end up using RCAs that I already have run to the right locations.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:49 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Are you also replacing all the speakers? Replacing the Monsoon amp but keeping the factory speakers is asking for trouble.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Are you also replacing all the speakers? Replacing the Monsoon amp but keeping the factory speakers is asking for trouble.
Nope, alpine components in the doors and alpine 10" sub in the back. Got all of the wiring figured out thanks to your write up.

Although in the Firebird section of the amplifier harness pin out, Dark Blue is referenced as Dark Black.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:14 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Oops! That will teach me to proofread my lousy typing! I've fixed it. Thanks.