Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Alum Flywheel and clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 11:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alum Flywheel and clutch question

I have been reading that when an f-body is running an aluminium flywheel with a single disk clutch you have to slip the clutch under normal driving circumstances on the street because of the light weight of the flywheel. On average the alum flywheels are 13 lbs where as the stock or billit flywheels are around 26 lbs. If you were running a duel disk clutch on an alum flywheel wouldn't the clutch compensate for the most of the weight loss of the alum flywheel? In other words do you still have to slip the clutch on the street with a duel disk and alum flywheel?
Old 12-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Anyone??
Old 01-02-2008, 01:26 PM
FormerVendor

Use of an aluminum flywheel does not inherently lead to the need for greater slippage when driven on the street. Yes...the weight will be greatly reduced when compared to the stock assembly...but incresed RPM when leaving will compensate for this. No, increased RPM does not mean you have to launch the car or that you have to slip the clutch, it just means that you have to give it a little gas when leaving from a stop. I have run a Aluminum flywheel in most of my personal cars for years and I really appreciate the benefits they provide.

The Major difference you will notice is the quickness with which the car gains RPM. It will rev much faster and due to the lighter assembly weight it will allow for greater power to the wheels in the mid-to-upper RPM range. Keep in mind that lower weight also leads to less stress on the drive-line.

You are correct in assuming that the Twin-Disc weight is greater and as such use of a Twin will increase weight to a more stock like total (even when using a lighter Aluminum flywheel). I hope this info helps. let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

Last edited by SPEC-01; 01-02-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the reply. I think that I am going to go with a light weight billit steal. They are only 18 lbs. as compared to the alum 13 lbs. That will still be a considerable difference in weight reduction.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:29 AM
FormerVendor

The steel will provide a nice compromise. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!