Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

slave vs master bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default slave vs master bleeding

so my clutch just decidied to stop function correctly yesterday while we had it on jacks. feels like i some how got air in the system . my questinon is whats the difference between bleeding the master cylender and the slave clynerder. my t56 is swapped into a s10 so i have easy access to a bleeder valve coming down off the trans which would you think that would be for?also where the clutch cyclinder is(the one on the firewall with the round cap) the line than runs into the trans is loose on the side of the trans is that normal. thanks.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 72RATCAMARO
...also where the clutch cyclinder is(the one on the firewall with the round cap) the line than runs into the trans is loose on the side of the trans is that normal. thanks.
What do you mean, "it's loose"? Do you mean the braided line that runs from the master cylinder (mounted to the firewall) to the slave (mounted to the trans) is not securely connected to the slave? In other words, it can wiggle in and out? If so, you should push that line into the slave until you feel it click into place. It won't likely be an audible click, more like a feeling. Once that connection is made, you can properly bleed the whole system through the bleeder valve on the slave.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

correct i can wiggle that line and the little dohickymajiger in the side of the trans.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 72RATCAMARO
correct i can wiggle that line and the little dohickymajiger in the side of the trans.

You must have an upgrade, I didn't get a dohickymajiger with my trans!

It's difficult to exactly diagnose without seeing it, but it sounds like you need to make sure the line is seated securely in the connector. Hopefully, the connector, itself, isn't wiggling around in the slave.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

if it is what would that entail? truck is my daily driver and dont want to have to pull the trans. if i pump the pedal it will get pressure but it will go away if i sit and idle. what would cause it to just stop working?
Old 01-01-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

If the fitting in the slave was loose? Well, I don't think that would be a common occurrence, but if it was it would mean the trans needs to come out. The fitting is held by a collar and pin in the slave body, so it's not an easy access fix. However, I would just replace the slave if it was actually that bad.

Is that what's happening? The connector that receives the clutch fluid line is wiggling around by itself?
Old 01-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

bleed the system and changed the fluid. it was pitch black. that seemed to fix the problem
Old 01-01-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

That's a relief!

Quick Reply: slave vs master bleeding