Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in a C3 fitment

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 in a C3 fitment

I was wondering what the best donor car is for this conversion? I seem to remember reading that an F-body (99-03?) was best because of the alternator mount. I have also read that the engine placement can be a problem. I am using a TKO500 with stock clutch set up. I have seen pictures of this installation, however the filter is under hood. Is there a way for fresh air intake? Does anybody know where to send the the tach to convert it to electronic, what engine mounts I need and what other problems I will run in to?
Old 01-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check over on ls1tech.com and corvetteforum.com for conversion info. as far as the tach do a search for people who convert car clocks to digital most of them also do gauges, or i think dakota digital sells converters.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Corvetteforum, on the C3 page, has a sticky on top with info. Check out the last couple pages for engine mount info.
Apparently most mounts move the engine so that you'll have to mod the trans mount. However one of the vetteforum sponsors is coming out with a mount that keeps the engine in the stock location and incorporates a Z bar connection. That way you can use your current clutch setup and bellhousing.
As for F body vs the vette LS1. The alternator mount on either will work, but I have seen posts on F body alternator require slight mods due to a very close fit to the frame. The higher vette doesn't seem to causde a problem.
The oil pan rom the f body definitely works. Although I have not seen any issues with the vette pan either.
I'm doing the same swap in my 68.
Gary
Old 01-11-2008, 04:31 AM
On The Tree

I have done this swap into a 76 c3 stingray. motor from a 98 camaro with 4l60e 4 speed auto. you can use the gm 350 adapter plates that makes a ls1 bolt into a 350 sbc car. you need to rework the transmission mount. if you have any other questions email me at rich@daftinnovations.com email me for more pics. Good luck!

Old 01-11-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I got the mounts from S&P performance

I used the brackets and setup from the F-body... and moved the motor about 1 inch forward. Also had to make changes to the steering rack... with spacers...

I used the TH350 so I can't help with the tanny... but you will have to mod your cross member.

can't help with INtake... I run a HOLLEY CARB !!! LOL
Old 01-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Keep the great info coming. I'm about to start on an 82 as soon as I find the donor motor. Did the frame or oil pan have to be modified? Thanks for posting the pics.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jhd68cam
Keep the great info coming. I'm about to start on an 82 as soon as I find the donor motor. Did the frame or oil pan have to be modified? Thanks for posting the pics.
Frame doesnt have to be modified,or if you use the oil pan from a fbody or vette your ok,i used a truck oil pan andhad to section it for ground clearance,since im also lowered too.Your better using the fbody parts everything fits perfect,except for the a/c,youll need a special bracket to mount it up high,there isnt room down low on passenger side.Ive used the c5 stuff first then switched to fbody stuff it fit better.Alternator does fit down low with no changes.As far as fresh air i made a box to attach to my throttle body,also i dont use a maf and it mates to underside of hood to draw cold air in from cowl induction.Im now switching to a L88 hood and itll draw air from there.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Nitro,
I'm curious about your comment on f body accessories fitting better. I'm looking at an LS1 or 2 for my 68 vette. I'll only need the water pump and alternator. Did you run into any clearance issues with the vette high mounted alternator?
Old 01-13-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

My 2c -

If Vette accessories will work for what you're doing, there will probably be significantly less frustration sourcing parts if you go that route. EVERYONE (& their dog) is looking for F-body accessories...
Old 01-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by garys 68
Nitro,
I'm curious about your comment on f body accessories fitting better. I'm looking at an LS1 or 2 for my 68 vette. I'll only need the water pump and alternator. Did you run into any clearance issues with the vette high mounted alternator?
For one it was more money trying to get all the vette stuff,the alternator bracket wasnt cheap,also the alternator to replace cost alot more then fbody.I had to trim the bracket for alt. to fit near control arm.Well if you go the vette way i have an extra c5 balancer.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:31 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm planning on going with the LS364. It comes with a balancer. But I was assumunig since it's a 6.0 LS2 based engine, it would have the vette balancer/pulley. And the vette pulley is shorter than the F body pulley. So I assumed I would need the vette accessory brackets.

Originally Posted by nitrovette
For one it was more money trying to get all the vette stuff,the alternator bracket wasnt cheap,also the alternator to replace cost alot more then fbody.I had to trim the bracket for alt. to fit near control arm.Well if you go the vette way i have an extra c5 balancer.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:43 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We carry the mounts and headers for this application

Old 01-14-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Carshop,
I'm liking the headers. What the price?
But a question on the motor mounts. Do they leave the engine/transmission in the stock location? Everyone I've spoke with said prety much all LS/SBC adapters move the engine forward 1-2". I'm using the stock Muncie transmission and dont want to have to modify the driveshaft or trans crossmember.
Gary
Old 01-14-2008, 12:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Our units are designed to put a stock t56 shifter in the correct location for the console. The Muncie would not be a direct bolt up as it sits back a tad further....
Are you planning on running a hydraulic throwout bearing? The stock cross shaft will not fit with out some major modifications
I have the headers in natural finish for 250.00
Old 01-14-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm running the Muncie because I've got a 3.08 rear end and would never be able to use the T56 0.5 6th gear OD. I may go to a Tremec or Richmond 5 speed OD in the future.
As for cluch, If I cant get the Z bar pivot mount (SD parts) that bolts to the bell housing to work, then I'll go with a hydraulic throwout bearing.
Also there's another vendor that says they're in the process of producing a combo motor mount/Z bar pivot mount. But ot release timeframe yet.
Gary

Originally Posted by Carshopinc.com
Our units are designed to put a stock t56 shifter in the correct location for the console. The Muncie would not be a direct bolt up as it sits back a tad further....
Are you planning on running a hydraulic throwout bearing? The stock cross shaft will not fit with out some major modifications
I have the headers in natural finish for 250.00
Old 01-14-2008, 01:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Should be a interesting piece, it just seems that by the time you buy all of the parts to convert your original trans to the ls you could find a good used t56... Should be a cool project either way.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Friend of mine has a ls1 in a 82' model and he used standard Hooker F-body headers and they fit pretty well IIRC.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Carshop, I was looking at your website. What's the part number for the headers?
Old 01-14-2008, 01:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

They are the sanderson csls1, I have them in stock but not on my page currently...

Quick Reply: LS1 in a C3 fitment