Texas RB Jamaal Charles enters 2008 NFL Draft

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Texas RB Jamaal Charles enters 2008 NFL Draft

Discuss.

What will this means for the 'Horns in '08?
Old 01-02-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hopefully, it will mean less fumbles!

I think it's too soon for him, but he apparently tested the waters and liked what he heard. Good luck to him.

99 FRC
Old 01-02-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Vondrel.

hopefully we still get a new DC :o
Old 01-02-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Good for him. Sorry to see his speed go, and he did a much better job holding onto the ball in the second half of this season. I still think it's too soon for him, though.

Still, pro players get the best weed, and that's what he seems to be about.

And the wrong DC left. And we still have the wrong OC.

-Mike
Old 01-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Hopefully Greg Davis will leave
Old 01-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Texas Director

I think he would definitely benefit from staying for his senior year. IMO he won't be drafted in the first round. Most likely mid 2nd to end of the 3rd round. If he's taken in that range it's not worth coming out.

Chuprokabra, why the weed comment? To my knowledge, Jamaal has never been accused of any wrong doing during his time at UT.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmiller
I think he would definitely benefit from staying for his senior year. IMO he won't be drafted in the first round. Most likely mid 2nd to end of the 3rd round. If he's taken in that range it's not worth coming out.

Chuprokabra, why the weed comment? To my knowledge, Jamaal has never been accused of any wrong doing during his time at UT.
Jamaal probably blazes

and I want him back next year
Old 01-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Banned

DUDE, like have you never been to Austin before??? I'm an OU fan, but I swear from the time I set foot in that town until the time I left I was HIGH......

That town has a HUGH green cloud hovering overhead....

You can't tell me that half those players dont' smoke weed....

If you think any different, then you are incredibly naive...

btw, I know my team sucks today, please don't remind me LOL
Old 01-02-2008, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Id enter now also..

Take that damn money lol

Going back for senior year means he could get injured OR have a BAD season
Old 01-03-2008, 08:14 AM
Texas Director

Originally Posted by WS6stroker
DUDE, like have you never been to Austin before??? I'm an OU fan, but I swear from the time I set foot in that town until the time I left I was HIGH......

That town has a HUGH green cloud hovering overhead....

You can't tell me that half those players dont' smoke weed....

If you think any different, then you are incredibly naive...

btw, I know my team sucks today, please don't remind me LOL
I don't know if he smokes or not. There is nothing to say that he does. So, are all of your OU boys nice, church going alter boys? Based on your assumption about Austin, I guess every OU player gets high too.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Banned

I wish he would stay one more year, I think UT has a great shot at a BCS bowl this coming year with him.

I have to say I blazed it up everyday when I lived in atx
Old 01-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Banned

I don't know if he smokes or not. There is nothing to say that he does. So, are all of your OU boys nice, church going alter boys? Based on your assumption about Austin, I guess every OU player gets high too.
No, I never said OU players are perfect either. But I know one thing, Stoops doesn't put up with much bullshit. You saw what he did w/ DeMarcus Granger after that incident in AZ. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get kicked off the team. He was one of our best players too. And no, not every player at OU gets high. How did you come up with that conclusion? I'm sure that there are some that do, just like every other football program. But there is a reason why we call you guys "bonghorns". Look no further than your heisman winner and TU representative Ricky Williams! LOL
Old 01-03-2008, 08:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Every time I've ever seen him interviewed, he has come off very poorly. He may not be a blazer, but he's not exactly getting the most out of his college education.

-Mike
Old 01-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Texas Director

Look jackass, this thread is about Jamaal Charles turning pro. Not about anything else. If you can't post something intelligent please refrain from posting in this thread!
Old 01-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Texas Director

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Every time I've ever seen him interviewed, he has come off very poorly. He may not be a blazer, but he's not exactly getting the most out of his college education.-Mike
I agree that he's not the most articulate person with his words, but if you're basing your assumption on that and just because hemp might be available in Austin, just like it is in every other city is a poor generalization. If I recall JC was either on the honor roll or made very good grades and was very close to being on the honor roll.

I wish him well. IMO he's not making the right decision, but he's got experienced people helping him in making this decision. Apparantly someone is telling him he'll be taken in the first or second round. I disagree with that, as I think he'll go late second to fourth round. We'll see.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Banned

I think late 2nd is the earliest he might be taken.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

I agree that he's not the most articulate person with his words, but if you're basing your assumption on that and just because hemp might be available in Austin, just like it is in every other city is a poor generalization. If I recall JC was either on the honor roll or made very good grades and was very close to being on the honor roll.
I'm basing my assumption on the fact that:
  1. He's in college
  2. A lot of his teammates have been busted for possession
  3. He's in college
There's a time and place for everything. It's called college.

And before you get your nose out of joint, remember I was in Longhorn Band for three years.

-Mike
Old 01-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Texas Director

Mike, I get all of that. This thread however is about Jamaal entering the draft, not about whether he smokes weed or not, which is a complete assumption. If someone has facts that's one thing, but to assume he does it, and that's all you have is an assumption, is not fair to the guy. You're characterizing JC based on things he has no control over.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Junkie

You're the one who continued the tangent by asking me about my assumption. And it is an assumption.

<back on topic>
I agree with you about his decision, though. It sounds like he's either getting bad advice, or is setting his goals too low. If he played an entire season like he did during the games after the loss to OU, he would likely be a top ten draft pick next year. With McFadden likely coming out this year too, it drops JC's stock. I think he's currently a 2nd or 3rd round pick, unless he has a really great scout showing and does well at the combine.

To play devil's advocate, though, every NCAA player is likely to look at "The Matt Leinart Draft" as an example of staying one year too long. Leinart didn't play badly in his last year of eligibility, but he didn't do anything to make his position better. And he came out during a draft that had lots of good QB prospects. I'm not sure what this year's NFL draft class looks like as far as RB's yet, but JC is known as "Really fast. Questionable hands." His hands improved over the course of the season, but it's a question of "who is the real Jamaal Charles?"

-Mike