Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Need Canadian Help Bad - Tether Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Canadian Help Bad - Tether Bolt

So I'm in the process of getting my car inspected for RIV and every place I go to says I need the child tether bolt installed, but I can't find any information on where/what to drill to install the damn thing.

Anyone got any pics of their bolt locations so I can determine what the heck I'm supposed to do?
Old 01-03-2008, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

Pull the carpet behind the seat and you will see mounts underneath where they should go.

Also call a stealership and inquire about it. I believe they will install them free of charge for you.

If you want I can show you on my car where they go, or if I fell ambitious I'll search for a pic here.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

To clarify, the mounts are not behind the seat where you would have to fold the back down to access them, they are on the top where the rear speakers are.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Hey Brett, mines US spec, theres not such mounts, I've seen Steve's so I kinda know the area.

Steve gave me an idea to weld a nut to the top of the hump, then thread the nut to that bolt. Might do that, I shoulda just bought ur car lol.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

you don't need a child tether installed for an import inspection if that year didn't come with a tether. We do import inspc's and it isn't a requirement. Who is telling you this anyway? And yes, you get 1 free one from GM. Its not a stealership when you get it installed free. If you're not putting a baby seat in, then don't drill holes into your car. The tie down under the carpet where the carpet splits before the trunk space, is not a proper tether. Don't know the purpose of that thing?
Old 01-03-2008, 05:46 PM
12 Second Club

So whats the problem here? Have you taken it to CNDTire for the inspection ... are they the ones telling you this?

If so, they'll do it there.

My guy just threw a bolt, still in the package, into the glove compartment and called it a day ... 'check'.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

I was told by others the same about just needing to have it.

It was Canadian Tire first telling me it had to be installed, so I said f that and went to an approved provate garage, they told me the same thing. I was pissed at this point so I called the RIV and was told by two different staff that yes, the bolt must actually be affixed to the vehicle. I ended up having to get it installed (aka drilled into my car) and had to cut my carpet (pissed) so that it would pass thru. But it caps off my whole crappy US car buying experience.

I've noticed there really being sticklers on US cars lately. GM upped the recall letter price to 250 bucks and they've (mto) changed the rules on temporary permits so that its nearly impossible to get one (6 day clause or something) and once you do its only that one. I've ended up having to trailer my car around to get royally dicked.

I've heard from 2 inspectors, 2 RIV staff and 3 MTO staff that the government is trying to make it more difficult to import purposely. Oh well, I'd still do it again to save money like I did and now to **** of Soviet Ontario more.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

I have had 4 cars RIV inspected and I used the same tether bolt set for all of them. Never even opened the package. Just left it in the passenger seat for them to see. The mechanic who inspected the first car said "who the hell would put a kid in a Camaro anyways?"
Old 01-05-2008, 05:28 AM
Staging Lane

I went through the same thing when I imported my TA. I just took the tether bolt and JB welded it where it should go. The guy doing the inspection checked to see if it was there and just assumed it was put in properly. After he ok'd it I just chipped it off with a hammer. It's covered by carpet there so you can't see anything plus if I ever sold it I don't have the liability issues of an improperly installed anchor.

However, if I knew all I had to do was leave the bolt on the seat I definitely would have just done that!
Old 01-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jinxedz
So whats the problem here? Have you taken it to CNDTire for the inspection ... are they the ones telling you this?

If so, they'll do it there.

My guy just threw a bolt, still in the package, into the glove compartment and called it a day ... 'check'.
Yup, thats what he did to mine too, then again that was over two years ago.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

as long as it is in the car they don't car. They never even checked mine. All he did was come out to the parking lot, start it, get scared as **** cause it was so loud lol, check the vin and he called it a day. I didn't even have the back rest in the back seat and he said whatever, it all looks good enough.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Yea thats what everyone told me would happen but it wasn't going down like that, everywhere told me it had to be in the car.

Oh well the RIV inspections done now, just a safety and etest away from owning it.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crappy Tire wasn't that kind to me. Pickiest bastards every, had to do so many lil things. I was like you guys are not touching my car, I am doing all of that myself. Money grabbers and dumb as ****. I guess it will rnage from shop to shop though. Never gonna go there again, almost killed that fat SOB.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

I don't think there was one stock on my '02 - and I didn't have to put one in. WTF?

Quick Reply: Need Canadian Help Bad - Tether Bolt