Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon: What to replace, with what?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon: What to replace, with what?

I apologize in advance for this post. What I seek is information as well as opinion, so I can't simply read how-to guides.

I have a '00 Z28 with the Monsoon system. Years ago a door speaker blew, and being the lazy being I am, I simply removed it. Not long after the other door speaker popped, and to a close degree to my previous laziness, I disconnected it, but left it in the door. I bought the 6.75" Kenwood Excelon component speakers soon after, only to find that I didn't seem to have any location to mount the tweeter. I have since given those away to a cousin in need, but I am open to getting components if someone has a good mounting scheme I could look at. I believe some time in the interim both of my sail-panel subs went as well. Since then my tiny rear speakers have been holding their own with the fader rolled almost all the way back, but it's high time I do something to remedy this situation.

I am an absolute purist when it comes to a stereo fitting properly. My old truck, being a Chevy gave me the same problem the Camaro poses now, with the 1.5 DIN opening. So, unless anyone knows of any better ways to fill the gap, I'll be sticking with a Pioneer DEH-P77DH. I had the DEH-P47 in my truck, and I did love the performance, though the look is a bit stale. I do wish I could manage a double-DIN unit as I've seen a few pics on in this forum, or better yet a video screen, but I don't want to spend more than I must, plus the Camaro leaves almost no room for a monitor with the A/C vents just above the HU. Also, I realize my current problems have nothing to do with the head unit, but as I recall that is where you get a major improvement on sound quality.

So, getting to the real issue at hand. I have read nearly every post on the Monsoon system and how it works. After all of my research it seems a major complaint with replacing speakers is the ohm load. It has been years since I have been active in stereos and I can't remember if replacing the amp would change the ohm load, or if that is more a question of how said amp is wired. If replacing the amp is a possibility, does anyone have any information regarding that process? If that requires a total rewire then I'm not interested, unless there is a magical kit that makes it easy, in which case I am very interested.

If replacing the amp is not a logical option, what then might I do? When I finally decide on what speakers to install, they will most certainly want more power than the factory amp provides, especially per channel. Would I be best off just removing the whole setup? I am not usually one for a complete overhaul but I very much dislike mixing and matching not only components but wiring methods as well.

So, in summary, here are my concerns:
Head Unit: Needs to look right, and of course, perform acceptably.
Door Speakers: Need appropriate mounting location and power.
Sail subs: Free-air sub or a regular mid-speaker replacement? I've read lots of horror stories about sail-panels.
Rear speakers: Not a big concern, just that they get the right power

Again I apologize for making what probably appears to be the same old "I need help with my Monsoon system!" post; I did attempt to find the answers I desire in previous threads. So, please, if anyone has any information that could help me please let me know.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Actually, it's fairly easy to replace the speakers in a Camaro Monsoon system. CDT makes a coaxial component set that mounts and wires just like the factory door speakers. They also make a decent 6.5" midbass that replaces the sail panel subs nicely. Check with Kee Audio for pricing and availablity.

Your options for 1.5 DIN head units are very limited. The Pioneers are still available and may be your best choice for performance. There are some really junky models around (Pyle, Prestige, Audiovox) as well as a Jensen that gets mixed reviews. Speaking of Audiovox, they used to make a 1.5 DIN model that was part of their "Special Performance Series" and was designed to look and work as though it was factory installed - built-in steering wheel control, illumination that matched, etc. The model was the GC-600 and it was quite good but it didn't have modern features like MP3 and it's hard to find these days.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:25 PM

I've all but decided on the Pioneer, but I have yet to figure out if it has an aux input for a direct link to an Ipod. I don't have an Ipod yet, but I'm sure I will get one eventually. Although, I just went by my local stereo shop and saw a NESA dash unit that I nearly bought on the spot. It is a single DIN, but has a huge face that seems to overlap a bit, and I think it would look fine. I also saw a few double-DIN screens that might be worth spending a little extra on.

Also, I left out that I have an 1100 watt Memphis digital amp in my closet that would be happy to be used. I linked my way over to subthump.com and it seems they've made subs quite practical.

While I was at my local stereo store, AutoSoundLab, I made an impulse buy on some Memphis coaxials. I intend to hook them up tomorrow afternoon to the factory amp. I'll post the results.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:44 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, JL Audio came up with the stealth enclosure first I believe making subwoofer installation easy without taking up all your trunk space. Subthump does have a good product and I also fabricate fiberglass enclosures for that area as well for $109.00 + shipping.
If your looking for a dash unit that is oversized I carry a few of them as well that have USB input, SD card reader, and aux input for iPod. One of them actually has a 4.3" touch screen also. They are 1.5 DIN unit that has the body of a single DIN unit like you described so they fill that area in nicely. Prices are in the $350.00 range. I can also supply you with the mount adapter and harness adapter to make installation easy. In the $500.00 range I have them with navigation as well. Let me know if I can help!!
Old 01-05-2008, 06:43 AM

What I meant was that subthump.com made me worry less about covering up my t-tops holders. Nevertheless, if you have the same product I've heard nothing but good things about Kee Audio and I'd be glad to have your enclosures in my car. Are you talking about the dual 10/12" box or the single sub stealth box?

What kind of head units are we talking here? I love everything you said, just need to know I can live with the brand. My old Pioneer gave such a huge improvement on sound that I put absolute importance on the deck. I had a Clarion way back that also impressed me, so I'm not limited to anything so long as it sounds good, and fulfills my look requirements.