Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone clearanced their rocker arms?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Anyone clearanced their rocker arms?

I've got rocker to retainer issues with my current heads (old ARE stage 2's). Just wondering if anyone has clearanced the under side of their rocker arms to clear the springs?

I intended to just replace he heads with some new TEA's, but my turbo Z28 project is draining my funds like you wouldn't believe.

BTW the springs are (I'm pretty sure) comp 987's, with larger than stock valve stems (11/32's comes to mind but I last measured them a looong time ago). They also use 7 degree locks...I guess that was pretty common back 7 years ago. But the springs/retainers have a much wider diameter than say patriot golds, which is the only reason I can see for rocker to retainer contact. Any thoughts on this?
Old 01-04-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't do it, that is the side of the rocker loaded in tensile and any material removal will likely shorten their life or could result in failure.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Don't do it, that is the side of the rocker loaded in tensile and any material removal will likely shorten their life or could result in failure.
Pretty much what I figured, just looking for a cheap way out. What do you suggest I do to resolve this issue? Is there anything I can do short of buying new heads?