Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

you know you have a spun cam bearing if.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default you know you have a spun cam bearing if.....

thats right....does there have to be metal shavings or debris in the oil or is it possible that doesnt happen? Any squeel i ever hear freightens me, I have no shavings and nothing in the oil at all....couldn't the squeel I hear come from a bad bearing in a water pump or something from it? obviously, it could be the belt...but i am just wondering, if you spin a bearing do you have to get metal shavings and what not?
Old 01-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Restricted User

You will usually see lower oil pressure if you lose a cam bearing. Squeels can come from a lot of different things like PS pump, water pump, tensioner pulley, a slipping belt ect...
Old 01-05-2008, 08:10 AM
11 Second Club

take the belt off and run it, if it still squeals it is not an accessory. Then keep digging.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well i just spun a rod bearing last month ..

What happens is the car will start with a slight knock and steadily get louder and will lose power along with "some" oil pressure maybe. The car will not want to run hardly and or stay running at idle. If you do run it to long while the bearing has spun. It will eat your crank and possibly warp it and cause the rods/ pistons to go wherever and most likely take out your block.

So if you do ever hear any of those symptoms stop and tow it. Right then and there!!!
Old 01-05-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bowe1632
thats right....does there have to be metal shavings or debris in the oil or is it possible that doesnt happen? Any squeel i ever hear freightens me, I have no shavings and nothing in the oil at all....couldn't the squeel I hear come from a bad bearing in a water pump or something from it? obviously, it could be the belt...but i am just wondering, if you spin a bearing do you have to get metal shavings and what not?
When I spun a rod bearing in my 95 formula it started knocking, lost no oil presure. It would knock when i let off the gas and if i gave it just alittle gas. If I gave it alot of gas it was quiet. Never saw shavings and I opened up the filter. I only drove it about 5 miles after i spun it.

Good luck, I think you would now it if you spun a bearing! My 0.02
Old 01-05-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

My friends 02 z28 spun 2 rod bearings at 38k,slight knock that got louder as time went by!
Old 01-12-2008, 11:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

You will not usually loose oil pressure if you spin a rod bearing. Most of the time it will just knock at idle and under acceleration it will go away just like 1HOTBIRD has stated above. Traver
Old 01-12-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well I spun a bearing and I lost a little oil pressure when it happened. took the motor apart, and havent had the cam bearing out yet but I found metal shavings and all I think it was a rod bearing that spun in mine because they wher starting to look like crap but could it have been a cam bearing?
Old 01-12-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

I have only seen one cam bearing seize up and spin (that I can remember anyway) in over 13 years in the automotive machinist field. As mentioned rod bearing will usually knock but even then it is sometimes hard to hear and ususally by the time it becomes obvious serious damage has been done (i.e. crank journal shot beyond grinding). A Main bearing will however drop your oil pressure to near nothing in short order and can also squeal early on. So my guess would be if the squeal you are hearing does not go away when you remove the belt, it is most likely a main bearing. If you have no drop in oil pressure though, and little to no shaving in the oil it could also be something coming loose somewhere (something like a cam bolt backing out and rubbing the front cover, cam retainging plate botl rubbing the sprocket, etc).

Last edited by BOWTIE; 01-12-2008 at 11:40 PM. Reason: sp
Old 01-12-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

If it was a rod bearing the tabs would break off when it spun.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:34 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just trying to work out an answer for this as it seems to have segued into rod or main bearing....If a cambearing DOES let go, is there a tell tale sign at all?
Driving on the freeway at 100-110kmh and a lifter started tapping away and didnt go away until switch off. Once restarted after 10 minutes (I had to do some quick food shopping, lol)the tapping had gone away. Just wondering if its possible a cam bearing issue or something more simple? Do the standard oil pumps fail. I know the lifters do so considering doing lifters and a high volume oil pump but hoping its nothing more sinister...
Short of pulling the cam out the check the journal is there a way to check??
Old 07-03-2020, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by UNLEASHED383
Just trying to work out an answer for this as it seems to have segued into rod or main bearing....If a cambearing DOES let go, is there a tell tale sign at all?
Driving on the freeway at 100-110kmh and a lifter started tapping away and didnt go away until switch off. Once restarted after 10 minutes (I had to do some quick food shopping, lol)the tapping had gone away. Just wondering if its possible a cam bearing issue or something more simple? Do the standard oil pumps fail. I know the lifters do so considering doing lifters and a high volume oil pump but hoping its nothing more sinister...
Who are you asking? Because you replied to a 12-year old, and up till now quite dead, thread.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Who are you asking? Because you replied to a 12-year old, and up till now quite dead, thread.
correct, yet still not solved.😉
Old 07-04-2020, 08:22 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by UNLEASHED383
Most likely scenario is a bad lifter.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:12 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I would have to agree with Darth. Pull the valve covers. If valvetrain is all stable and solid, then look into it further, but I’d bet you’ll see your issue under the covers. Cam bearings tend to squeal and cause immediate loss of oil pressure. Mains will usually be silent, but oil pressure is gone as well. Rod bearings knock and oil pressure goes lower as you rev it due to inertia causing oil to be pulled out of rod bigend as the motor runs. If it’s a bearing going away, your oil filter media will show you. Cut the filter with the correct tool to check that.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

... You tear down the engine and look
Old 07-04-2020, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wannafbody
... You tear down the engine and look
So YOU dont know? Thats something i would have to do anyway is "tear it down"
Old 07-04-2020, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Che70velle
I would have to agree with Darth. Pull the valve covers. If valvetrain is all stable and solid, then look into it further, but I’d bet you’ll see your issue under the covers. Cam bearings tend to squeal and cause immediate loss of oil pressure. Mains will usually be silent, but oil pressure is gone as well. Rod bearings knock and oil pressure goes lower as you rev it due to inertia causing oil to be pulled out of rod bigend as the motor runs. If it’s a bearing going away, your oil filter media will show you. Cut the filter with the correct tool to check that.
Thanks mate- Heres hoping its just a dud lifter🙂
Might have to invest in a oil filter cutter i reckon. Going to replace the cam anyway with something better and get new ls7 lifters and trays. May aswell do the Mellings high volume pump while I'm at it and a waterpump...Engines 212000km old whatever that is in miles.Itll be interesting to see the cam journals, but didnt want to crack the engine and find a surpise like a spun cam bearing..🙂
How regular is this happening in an LS1 or is it very rare/ impossible??

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Thanks mate, Here's hoping??🙂
Old 07-09-2020, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Default Look at tab

Is ta
b broken off? It is spun.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Is ta
b broken off? It is spun.
cam bearings have a tab??
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (07-09-2020)

Quick Reply: you know you have a spun cam bearing if.....