Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

The French retreat again...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The French retreat again...

Dakar Rally Canceled After Terror Threat

PARIS (AP) - Al-Qaida threats against the Dakar Rally and an attack in Mauritania forced organizers to cancel the annual race on Friday, the eve of the 5,760-mile trek across North African desert scrubland and savannah.

It was the first time the automobile, motorbike and truck rally has been called off in its 30-year history. In a statement, organizers blamed "threats launched directly against the race by terrorist organizations." the Dec. 24 killings of a French family and international tensions.

The race's central appeal—its course through African deserts, scrubland and savannas—is also its weak point, making it difficult to protect thousands of people as they cross remote regions.

"No other decision but the cancellation of the sporting event could be taken," organizers said.

France, where the race organizers are based, had urged the rally to avoid Mauritania after the four family members were killed in an attack blamed on a terror cell that uses the Mauritanian desert as a hideout.

Officials say the cell is linked to the Algeria-based al-Qaida in Islamic North Africa, which has claimed responsibility for a series of deadly attacks, including the Dec. 11 twin suicide bombings at U.N. offices and a government building in Algiers, which killed at least 37 people.

Patrice Clerc, who heads the company that organizes the rally, told The Associated Press the threats against the rally came from al- Qaida's North Africa wing. He said the French government warned explicitly that the race was threatened but did not share its intelligence.

"Yes, we perhaps bowed to terrorism but our company today does not have the right to run this risk for all those people who trust it," Clerc added. "We don't have the right to play games with safety."

Mauritania's foreign minister criticized the decision to scrap the race.
"This decision has no relationship with the actual security situation in Mauritania, a country that has always been stable and peaceful," said Foreign Minister Babah Sidi Abdallah.

French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner said he did not want to "stigmatize" Mauritania, but warned of the risks "in a very uncertain region and one crossed by the networks of al-Qaida in North Africa."

"We simply want those who risk a lot to benefit from our information," Kouchner told RTL radio. "We are warning them: It's dangerous."

Al-Qaida in North Africa, in a Dec. 29 statement posted on an Internet site that it often uses, criticized Mauritania's government for "providing suitable environments to the infidels for the rally." It did not directly call for attacks on the race or its participants.

In the past, terrorism fears have forced organizers to cancel individual stages or reroute the race. In 2000, several stages were scrapped after a threat forced organizers to airlift the entire race from Niger to Libya. Several stages were also called off in 2004, reportedly because of terror threats in Mali.

The race, organized by the France-based Amaury Sport Organization (ASO), had been due to start in Lisbon, Portugal, on Saturday and finish in Dakar, Senegal, on Jan. 20. Eight of the stages were to take place in Mauritania. Some 550 car, truck and motorcycle drivers were expected.

Cyril Neveu, a five-time Dakar winner in the motorcycle category, acknowledged that the race could have been targeted by terrorists.
"It is a big caravan of more than 3,000 people," he told French broadcaster I-Tele. He said he respected the organizers' decision but added: "Many are going to be disappointed."

"Providing security from the first to the last competitor is an onerous job," Neveu added. "One cannot say that there was zero risk."

Only the father of the slain family survived the Dec. 24 attack, in a town 150 miles east of the Mauritanian capital as the family picnicked on the side of a road.

That attack was followed up be another four days later, when three Mauritanian soldiers manning a checkpoint were killed. Mauritania is a largely peaceful Islamic republic that has been rocked by the back-to- back attacks.

Authorities have blamed a terror "sleeper cell" linked to the Algeria- based al-Qaida in Islamic North Africa for the murders of the family. Al-Qaida in Islamic North Africa claimed responsibility for the killing of the soldiers.

The Mauritanian government had announced last week that it would mobilize a 3,000-man security force to ensure the race's safety.

Those in the country's tourism sector decried the loss, calling France's reaction "exaggerated and disproportionate."

"The worries expressed by the French are unfounded," said Mohamed El Moustapha Ould Cheibani, who heads a tour agency in Atar, a city 270 miles north of the capital, Nouakchott. "It's like getting punched in the back of our tourism industry."
Go back to eating cheese and surrendering.......... Oh wait!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

well, you know, at least they did not make racers stand in security lines for hours, take off their shoes and give up their drinking water.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:38 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So once again, the terrorists win. Just run the ******* over on the way to the finish line.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Banned

Wow! It kinda pisses me off that a fruitcake terrorist can't wreak that much havoc in the world. I've been over to Iraq 3 times and I still don't get how they can be like they are. I guess the heat, lack of alcohol and thier prudish ideals are just too much for them so they blow up stuff. A small percentage make it hard on the entire Muslim population.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
So once again, the terrorists win. Just run the ******* over on the way to the finish line.

Can you say.... Rat Patrol!

Last edited by NWDragRacer; 01-04-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What's next, Daytona 500?
Old 01-04-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you expect from the sissy azz French back door bandits? Run that bitch through the mid west, and we'll invite all whom want to go to allah and get their 72 virgins. Who's to say the virgins are of the female gender, or young and soft, lol. Pieces of dog excrement.
Robert
Old 01-04-2008, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

Rat Patrol....YEAH BABY!!!!

AND YOU FORGET TO MENTION PAT-DOWNS TO NOT ALLOW THE TERRORISTS' FAVORITE WEAPON ON AIRPLANES....the DREADED lethal finger nail clipper
Old 01-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Rat Patrol....YEAH BABY!!!!

AND YOU FORGET TO MENTION PAT-DOWNS TO NOT ALLOW THE TERRORISTS' FAVORITE WEAPON ON AIRPLANES....the DREADED lethal finger nail clipper

Can't forget the plastic knives or the shoe that needs lit with a match. Yet the airlines took away lighters but matches were OK.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:02 AM
On The Tree

Tell them to re-gear and head for Baja in November.... I'm sure they're welcome to sign up.

French chickens.

the reason the host countries are willing to put together a 3000 man security force is B/C the racers and related crews and covering media bring big $$$ to the country.

Last edited by AndreS; 01-05-2008 at 03:09 AM.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

they could of mounted gun turrets on top of all vehicles who wanted to race.

oh wait what was i thinking this the french, they are hoping we swoop in and do something to save their *** so then they can deface our way of life. we would have been better off letting germany occupy that **** hole of a country.

as for the NASCAR races , it would be the single biggest mistake of any terrorist to attack a redneck on race weekend.

they could always wait till july i hear there is a bicycle race in france
Old 01-05-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NWDragRacer
Can you say.... Rat Patrol!

That's what I was thinking! Funny.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:08 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by raceme@you'dlose.com
Wow! It kinda pisses me off that a fruitcake terrorist can't wreak that much havoc in the world. I've been over to Iraq 3 times and I still don't get how they can be like they are. I guess the heat, lack of alcohol and thier prudish ideals are just too much for them so they blow up stuff. A small percentage make it hard on the entire Muslim population.
I think if I couldn't drink, all the chicks wore burkas, the music sucked, I lived in a dirty *** cave, and I had to go to freakin church all the time, I'd be ready to blow some **** up, too.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

^ +1
ever notice the leaders don't go blowing themselves up?
Old 01-05-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AndreS
^ +1
Exactly Some real dumb azzes out in the world, and most wear rags around their heads, at least the majority of morons. damn I love being a flag waver.
Robert

Last edited by Robert56; 01-05-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Robert56
Exactly Some real dumb azzes out in the world, and most wear rags around their heads, at least the majority of morons. damn I love being a flag waiver.
Robert
That almost reads like it has a dose of hidden sarcasm...

BTW - I really, really don't think "waiver" is the word you're looking for
Old 01-05-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Fixed.
Robert
Old 01-05-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

Old 01-06-2008, 02:20 AM
On The Tree

were not perfect here either. the environmentalists have picketed races here, shutting some down through government & legislation. "do-good" citizens have complained to get tracks closed and succeeded.... the list goes on..... and it doesn't just apply to off-road racing it applies to all motor sports. we're always fighting to keep venues open, to keep racing off the street, and safe... and it never ends.

the only place left in North America to hold a race like the Baja is Mexico..... no enviro-fascist groups and the racers are welcomed by everyone. It brings money to the economy.
every city/county/state that has these events & venues should look at it like that....

rant off.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by AndreS
^ +1

Ever notice that the environmentalists don't conserve?

Quick Reply: The French retreat again...