Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MS4 and gearing question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MS4 and gearing question

Ok I have a 2 part question really, I'm going to be doing an ms4 cam swap and have most of the parts i need. However I have a stock 10 bolt and gearing and im m6 by the way. I dont have the funds to buy a rear and do the cam swap and kinda seems like id be doing things backwards. Should I just wait and do the rear end first or would I be ok to drive the car on stock gearing for awhile? This is NOT a daily driven car and does not see a lot of track time right now just pleasure cruising and a few runs with locals. Also the car I bought wrecked and still needs body work so what do u guys think bring the car home finish the body work and do the cam swap at my apt. or do the swap now and drive it home. Other things to consider is the car is 4 hours away so ill have to drive it back and is in a shop w/ a lift and every tool possible to work on it heated and a/c so thats my dilemma????????????
Old 01-05-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

youll be cool as long as you dont throw on slicks or bfg's and go crazy lol just save for a 9" youll be ok my buddy has a ms4 only 02 a4 and has been ok on some launches so youll be ok, im doing a H/C swap with the ms4 and im a m6
Old 01-05-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 408Maro
youll be cool as long as you dont throw on slicks or bfg's and go crazy lol just save for a 9" youll be ok my buddy has a ms4 only 02 a4 and has been ok on some launches so youll be ok, im doing a H/C swap with the ms4 and im a m6
So the stock gearing should be fine? I have nitto555R drag radials lol but like i said i drive my truck most of the time or my gf's alero. The car has about 95k miles and needs atleast 1k in body work alone done and then paint, front bumper cover, ss hood, and wing. So I was debating on tax return do the cam swap, save for a rear or bring it home and do body work?
Old 01-05-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

well if it was mine id rather do bodywork first and make her look good,but yeah the gearing will cool
Old 01-05-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with your land lord doing body work and then a cam swap at your appartment complex. Neither one is quick, simple or easliy accomplished out in the open.

Sucks though it's 4 hours away. A garage seems like a better avenue, provided you can go and work on it. What about renting some space closer for a short term?
Old 01-05-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well if it was mine id rather do bodywork first and make her look good,but yeah the gearing will cool
Kinda what i was thinking too b/c i can do the swap at my place i got a buddy thats gonna help me maybe, i hate to post them but the pic below will give better opinions from people thanks for ur help and opinion to man.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

that sucks bro and no problem man hopefully you get it all handled
Old 01-05-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hammertime
Good luck with your land lord doing body work and then a cam swap at your appartment complex. Neither one is quick, simple or easliy accomplished out in the open.

Sucks though it's 4 hours away. A garage seems like a better avenue, provided you can go and work on it. What about renting some space closer for a short term?
Yea we can take the car to a friends place for a couple of days but with a couple of us workin on it should only take a day for the cam. Thats the reason im askin the rear end would be nice while its already at a shop on a lift with air tools and everything else. Our land lord never comes here the main office is 15 miles from here. However the old people around here like to complain a lot but there is a few car junky guys that live here that like to come chat and see what we are doing to our cars all the time so I dont think it would be to big of a deal.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The other thing i forgot to mention is the next time we go back the heads are coming off b/c i bought a set of used (stock) heads cheaper than buying a set of new valves for b/c my car was miss shifted and bent some valves. So I figured if i was diggin that deep might as well swap the cam too?
Old 01-05-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats what im doing is h/c at one time just do it all at once man and im going to assume you got a ls6 intake already? if so do the ls6 pcv conversion since the intakes off already
Old 01-05-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats what im doing is h/c at one time just do it all at once man and im going to assume you got a ls6 intake already? if so do the ls6 pcv conversion since the intakes off already
Nope dont have the intake yet ive been buying parts here and there along the way got to many other toys and bills to buy stuff all at once. It's the whole reason im asking b/c at tax return time I will . What are u doing for head bolts? going studs or what is best?
Old 01-05-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

if i had the money id go with arp bolts but just get new gm bolts and youll be fine that is what im doing
Old 01-05-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any more opinions and advice?
Old 01-06-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt for more advice plz
Old 01-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Teching In

my friend has a ss with ms4 in it... he does not have aftermarket rear or gears... he is m6... had the cam in for a longgggg time making 431rwhp with the patriot stg 2 heads... no problems what so ever... drag races it and all... things a beast
Old 01-06-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bullet_WS6
my friend has a ss with ms4 in it... he does not have aftermarket rear or gears... he is m6... had the cam in for a longgggg time making 431rwhp with the patriot stg 2 heads... no problems what so ever... drag races it and all... things a beast
Now I'm also going to be running a 150 dry shot but not using the n2o on the hole shot. What rpm does he launch from? and also is he on DR's, slicks, or street tires? One more how does he like the ms4 on his car?
Old 01-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by miller456
Now I'm also going to be running a 150 dry shot but not using the n2o on the hole shot. What rpm does he launch from? and also is he on DR's, slicks, or street tires? One more how does he like the ms4 on his car?
n20 will be alright if you are not doing it outta the hole... he has street tires, and he loves his cam... a lot... veryyyyyy nice lope...
but i know someone else who does dig racing with dr's and a smaller cam but is 444rwhp and stock 10 bolt... and his holds up fine.... some people are lucky... others arent... just take it easy
no idea what rpms they launch at... but i got stock 10 bolt and launch 3 grand
Old 01-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Banned

n20 will be alright if you are not doing it outta the hole... he has street tires, and he loves his cam... a lot... veryyyyyy nice lope...
but i know someone else who does dig racing with dr's and a smaller cam but is 444rwhp and stock 10 bolt... and his holds up fine.... some people are lucky... others arent... just take it easy
no idea what rpms they launch at... but i got stock 10 bolt and launch 3 grand
sweet this helps me out a lot thanks for your help I may pm u if I have any more questions is that orite?
Old 01-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wb_white_boy
sweet this helps me out a lot thanks for your help I may pm u if I have any more questions is that orite?
sure go for it.. i may be slow to respond because i do not get on here that often though
Old 01-06-2008, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sure go for it.. i may be slow to respond because i do not get on here that often though
HAHA dont know if u noticed but i just got on my buddies labtop and it logged me in as his name sorry for any confusion